How do Islam and the Bible treat women who are having their menses?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Proud_Syrian, Jul 9, 2003.

1. In Islam:

Men must not have sexual intercourse with their wives when their wives are having their monthly periods (their menses), because it is a hurt for the woman and a pollution for both the man's and the woman's genitals, which is unhealthy:

"They ask thee concerning women's courses. Say: They are a hurt and a pollution: So keep away from women in their courses, and do not approach them until they are clean. But when they have purified themselves, ye may approach them in any manner, time, or place ordained for you by God. For God loves those who turn to Him constantly and He loves those who keep themselves pure and clean. (The Noble Quran, 2:222)"

In the Bible:

"Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, If a woman have conceived seed, and born a MALE child: then she shall be unclean SEVEN DAYS; according to the days of the separation for her infirmity shall she be unclean. And in the eighth day the flesh of his foreskin shall be circumcised. And she shall then continue in the blood of her purifying THIRTY THREE days; she shall touch no hallowed thing, nor come into the sanctuary, until the days of her purifying be fulfilled. But if she bear a FEMALE child, then she shall be unclean TWO WEEKS, as in her separation: and she shall continue in the blood of her purifying SIXTY SIX days. (From the NIV Bible, Leviticus 12:2-5)"

"And if a woman have an issue (her period/menses), [and] her issue in her flesh be blood, she shall be put apart seven days: and whosoever toucheth her shall be unclean until the even. And every thing that she lieth upon in her separation shall be unclean: every thing also that she sitteth upon shall be unclean. And whosoever toucheth her bed shall wash his clothes, and bathe [himself] in water, and be unclean until the even. And whosoever toucheth any thing that she sat upon shall wash his clothes, and bathe [himself] in water, and be unclean until the even. And if it [be] on [her] bed, or on any thing whereon she sitteth, when he toucheth it, he shall be unclean until the even. And if any man lie with her at all, and her flowers be upon him, he shall be unclean seven days; and all the bed whereon he lieth shall be unclean. And if a woman have an issue of her blood many days out of the time of her separation, or if it run beyond the time of her separation; all the days of the issue of her uncleanness shall be as the days of her separation: she [shall be] unclean. Every bed whereon she lieth all the days of her issue shall be unto her as the bed of her separation: and whatsoever she sitteth upon shall be unclean, as the uncleanness of her separation. And whosoever toucheth those things shall be unclean, and shall wash his clothes, and bathe [himself] in water, and be unclean until the even. But if she be cleansed of her issue, then she shall number to herself seven days, and after that she shall be clean. And on the eighth day she shall take unto her two turtles, or two young pigeons, and bring them unto the priest, to the door of the tabernacle of the congregation. And the priest shall offer the one [for] a sin offering, and the other [for] a burnt offering; and the priest shall make an atonement for her before the LORD for the issue of her uncleanness. (From the King James Version Bible, Leviticus 15:19-30)"

Women become unclean when they are having their menses which is normal, but everything they touch also becomes unclean. The husbands are ordered to stay away from their "unclean" wives until the wives become clean. Even objects like the bed or the chairs or anything else that the "unclean" wives come in contact with become unclean. The Bible treats the women who are having their menses as a disease that men must stay away from.

I still don't understand from a physiological point of view how giving birth to females caused double the pollution than giving birth to males?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ConsequentAtheist Registered Senior Member

Notice that the woman has little say in all this.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DJSupreme23 neocortex activated Registered Senior Member

I think Propud Syrian forgot what Khomeni had to say about women with menses - if a man has intercourse with one at that time (islam inspired):

Khomeini on Woman and Her Periods

"During the time a woman is menstruating, it is preferable for a man to avoid coitus, even if it does not involve full penetration- that is, as far as the circumcision ring _and even if it does not involve ejaculation. It is also highly inadvisable for him to sodomize her during this time.

If the number of days of the woman's menstrual period is divided by three, a husband who has intercourse with her during the first two days must pay equivalent of 18 nokhods (each nokhod is about 3 grams) of gold to the poor; if he has it on the third or fourth days the equivalent of 9 nokhods; and if he has it during the last two days, the equivalent of 41/2 nokhods. Sodomizing a menstruating woman does not require such payment.

If a man has intercourse with his wife during all three of these periods, he must pay the equivalent of 31/2 nokhods in gold to the poor. If the price of gold has changed between the time of coitus and the time of payment, the rate in effect on the day of payment will prevail.

If during an act of intercourse a man notices that the woman has begun menstruating, he must withdraw, if he fails to, he must give alms to the poor.

If such a man cannot afford to give alms to the poor, he must at least give something to a beggar. If he cannot afford that either, he must ask forgiveness of God.

After a wife's menstrual period, her husband may repudiate her, even if she has not yet made her ablutions. He may also indulge in relations with her, but it is preferable that he wait until she has made her ablutions. In the interim, the woman is not authorized to do anything which is forbidden to her during menstruation, such as going into a mosque or touching the writings of the Koran, until she has completed her ablutions."

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. daphneeee Registered Senior Member

A womans blood during menstruation is considered polluting in all traditional patriarchal societies. The fact that muslim and christian religions both share this belief shows us that all the holy books were written by men and also how was womens position in different societies at slightly different times. Example, a tribe called Sambia which is warlike and thus highly patriarchal also holds this belief, but the practices in such a tribe can be very shocking for a man. A young boy in order to be a man has to go through different procedures which can take many days and he is taken away from his family where there are only men. Each and every night during his initiation ritual the boy has to suck the semen through an elder mans penis. According to them the sperm is created in the brain (how riddiculous is that) and it is the essential and only substance which creates the baby in the woman. So according to them the sperm which is mans privilege is the one that gives them strength, but a womans vigina because of her menstruation which is polluting causes them weakness.

8. Flores Registered Senior Member

May I woman speak please, or do we assume that DJsupreme and consequent Atheist get monthly periods and are talking from experience

The Quran statement regarding mensus as hurt and pollution is both accurate and revolutionary in science for the time it was written. During the time that the woman bleed from mensus or after having a baby, her cervix is slightly dialated to allow all these matters to escape. When the cervix is dialated, and by the way the cervix is the organ that protects the insides of the woman including uteres, intestines and all the nine yard. Any ways, when the cervix is dialated the woman is so volunarable to infection that can easily kill her. Now imajine a man intering with his dirty pippy and ejaculating in an area that is not supposed to be recieving sperm......It's very dangerous to have sex after having a baby for this exact reason and after having birth all doctors warn woman so much to wait at least 6 weeks and definetly until all blood is completely gone.

Now the bible goes too far, because there is no hurt to a man from having sex with a menstruating woman, the hurt and pollution is to the woman, and so not sitting on the bed that she touched is unwarrented.

As far as ... ye may approach them in any manner, time, or place ordained for you by God. ......

This statement is for the husbands that are in the habit of having sexual relationships with their wifes and it states that after all is clean two people in love and commited as ordained by god may approach each other as they wish, anal, vaginal, oral, whatever two married people like to do to each other, it's all permissable.
    The reason god is talking to the male here instead of the woman, and please note that god in the Quran addressed the woman and the man equally and also singled out a whole Sura for the woman and nothing for just the man. The reason is that men are ignorant about woman mensus and need instruction so they don't hurt her terribly. A woman doesn't need instructions here, she already knows what is happening to her, it's the man that needs to be educated about the matter.

9. DJSupreme23 neocortex activated Registered Senior Member

Yeah, I bleed out of my anus regularly.

10. Flores Registered Senior Member

Djsupreme, eat lots of vegetable and drink plenty of waters. Avoid chocolate, cheese, and milk, and have yogurt instead, and Don't take relaxers, they're addictive.

I'm sorry, but the other day I was so mad at you, that I wished you to have hemmoroids. I'll try to unwish it

11. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

...all written to men, by men, for men. That's why even today men are still trying to stick their patriarchal dogma into our uteri.

12. 567 Registered Senior Member

Dj/JD/lucid

looks like your understanding of islam and quran is like this

Islam=Khomeini=Quran.

LOL.. You make me laugh.

13. 567 Registered Senior Member

Yup. I am sorry. I promise it won't hurt next time. If you know what i mean.

14. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

I find it absolutely hilarious that religion would even venture an opinion in this area, let alone make demands.

Is nothing sacred?

15. Flores Registered Senior Member

You see, our creator is not a stinking man who knows nothing about woman except humping them. God made women and have their manual and when god says no sex while mensus and after having baby, god knows what it's talking about....and us woman appreciate the special knowledge and care.,,,And yes women and everything about them is sacred and worthwhile mentioning even our periods.

16. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

Oh yes. religions can prescribe that fear in God would remove the cause for that bleeding.

(if DJ is not joking)

17. daphneeee Registered Senior Member

Hello flores!? the whole concept of a woman that shouldnt have sexual intercourse during her period was because the men considered the womens menstrual blood polluting....."god" did not support this statement because he knew women would be in danger.....but men would be in danger....when its completely the opposite...maybe...because i myself tried sexual intercourse while in my period...but nothing happened...i guess its after pregnancy that its dangerous.

18. Flores Registered Senior Member

Hi daphneee, you have a beautifull name. I would completely agree with you if the info was not in the Quran. I have a weakness here as a member of sciforums and it is that I have accepted the Quran as true in every word and as the word of god. I think the bible started out to be the word of god that wasn't supposed to be written down yet, the time was not ripe to finish the message, later the bible was written down by man and was corrupted.

I agree with you that most interpretations and Islamic schools out there are extremely patriatical and disgusting, but the intent of the Quran is everything but patriatical. From marriage rules and the allowance of divorce for the simple reason that a woman can not bear to live with a man to heaven and hell and how women will enjoy just like men all pleasures sexual and not. Of course Islamists twist things and deny the women all the right prescribed in the Quran and act as if it's only intended for men, one of my best examples is:

Muslim men say that a muslim man can marry a christian, jew, or Atheist woman, while a muslim woman have to marry a muslim man. well, I found a non muslim man that fell in love with in college, and I asked him to convert and he said that he is no ready to do something like that, and I started investigating the Quran then and found that the Quran says merely that believers should marry believers. The Quran never mention men or women or crap like that. And who is to define a believer but god, how am I to enter you heart and find what you really are. My husband ended up converting after I told him that I no longer care if he converted or not and only god knows what is in his heart anyways.