Does god crossover to a new, impressionable, mankind?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by sargentlard, Jul 7, 2003.

1. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

I started a thread similar to this in free thoughts but i left out a question because i wanted to post it here.

If we knew that mankind is about to end and ( use your imagination here) we also know that mankind will rise again...starting all over like our ancesters did and for them we are preparing a capsule to teach them what we have learned and accomplished. The question is: Do we also put in the ideology of god into that capsule?? The information of all the major religions we have created?

or

Or do we banish the idea of god in hopes that information we have placed will teach the new mankind in time not to create such institutions like religion based on belief of Gods

Explain you choice please.

Thank you.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Balerion Banned Banned

Your question is a bit on the far-fetched side, but an interesting one in the least. I would love to field it!

Given the moral codes in religions, and the symbolism used in their writings, I'm of the opinion that the religions were started as a means of preventing a primative peoples from killing themselves and each other. Maybe not the first set of laws, but one that the authors intended to be the most effective.

Or maybe they were the first means of creating an order among the masses in early civilizations. In that case, they were, at the least, an incredibly creative way of keeping the peace.

But then, you have to look at the fact that there are many different religions, in which case you have to wonder just how effective these strict set of laws actually were, if the detractors to them could simply break free and create his own. Granted, I would imagine the detractor wouldn't have it that easy, but still, his ideals garnered supporters, and lived on.

Now, assuming that there was some cataclysm that severely cut human population, and for a time there was a detachment from civilization, and that humanity would again rise into dominance, you ask if religion should be left for them. Now, you say this capsule would teach them all we have learned and accomplished, but you do not clarify in what manner the relgion would be taught. i.e. are you saying we would teach religion as if it were truth, or do you mean the people would learn of the religions in the same way we learn of Greek and Roman gods today?

If you are saying the capsule would teach religion to the people as a way of keeping them in order, then I say no. The people in this civilization would make their own religions, and hopefully do a better job of it this time around.

To teach them of religion objectively, and tell them what it's logical purposes were, then yes, I can see doing that.

It's hard to say what they would do with our knowledge. If what science believes now is true, then we may have taken basic events in nature (Lightning, rain, visible heavenly bodies) and made religions of them. I cannot imagine what we would have done given a starting point; a capsule--to suit this discussion--of technologies and language and culture, from what these people could only deduce was out of nowhere. Would they not, in turn, take the capsule as a gift from God? Would they not tell stories of the great and powerful gods that sent them this gift of knowledge? Would they not, therefore, attribute everything they accomplish from that point forward to the God or Gods that gave them their jumpstart?

See, the concept of an all-powerful being is one from a primative, uneducated mind. All creation stories smack of authors who had the wrong idea concerning thier enviroment. They did not know that the water that fell from the sky was rain, and it came from clouds, not some vast ocean in the air. They didn't know that the large rock they were on rotated, and considered day and night to be seperate entities, rather than attributing it to the direction their side of the planet was facing. They had not yet built the tools to witness evolution, nor had the capacity to consider it.

The way these beliefs were twisted into ways to hold the primitive people accountable for their actions should have been phazed out as we became intelligent enough to create our own set of laws and rules, removed from the ancient and no longer useful idea of spiritual punishment. And, in time, they most likely will.

Anyway, my point is that I would imagine the new civilization would create thier own religoin no matter what, considering that we have so many different religions, so why not let the new people come up with what they will. There is no reason to leave them with the baggage that we have.

My vote: Mention it in historical terms, but don't pass it off as being true.

JD

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

Capsule or no capsule : Whenever people see someone speak-out their conscience without compromise and with compassion and tells that he draws his power to do this from an universal goodness and truth that is more powerful than him and lives and dies for what he says ,

then poeple would rally around him and would have found their saviour. call him 'Jesus' or anyname they like.

edit : typo

Last edited: Jul 7, 2003
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kazakhan Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

What a crock of shit, god-fearers just have to let loose at every opportunity it seems. I don't need no stinkin' savior I am my own!
    Anyways, I agree with JDawg if the people are stll primitive then everything would be attributed to their find.

8. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

Where do you find God here..? Will 'Mohammed' do..? Why it is 'stinkin saviour'.. you want to remain stinkier.?

PS : read the thread heading once again. This is what would happen in that context. whether you like it or not. obviously you don't have the patience to realise the difference between history and bible.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2003
  9. kazakhan Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

From this?
    And this?
    And this?
    Emphasis! Did you really need to ask?
    Your post sounds like preaching to me, not something that attempts to answer the question.
    What is "universal goodness"?
    I have read the heading again and I still think your preaching.
    How do you know that is what would happen in that context? Are you god? Yes I do have the patience, please explain in as much detail as possible, I have a long time.

10. Mucker Great View! Registered Senior Member

Yeah we tell them! The only question that comes to me here is that even if we didn't tell them, if he does exist then they would find out about him anyway! This has been raised by the question of 'if no one had ever heard of God would we ever hear of him', however given that he could be a conceptual creation, then I would say yes, he would still come to us, even if the word wasn't passed on.

11. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

No. you confirm that God is recognized in any context, whether implcit or explicit or when not intended also.
    Where do i preach.. or what is preaching then.? Whats the question of this thread.? please exlplain for me.?
    How does that sound to you..? and why.?
    Whatever you read would be preaching something in that case.
    Are you asking for proof..? or are you asking all the previous posters how do they know how it is going to be and what to do.? Well, you tell me what is your answer.
    Should i start from bible or from history..? But, i don't have time to 'preach'.

A hint : Take any society you would find a rallying personality and he often happend/treated to be a redeemer of that society.

12. kazakhan Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

All I confirm are your perceptions.
    Do we pass on our concept of god or not? Yes or no & why?
    I still fail to see an answer in your statement. You imply the question is irrelevant with "Capsule or no capsule :"?
    Yes, yes and what was the question?
    Either, but you don't have time?:bugeye:
    Would not said person need an issue with which to "rally" the people? And what would that be?

13. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

hmm.. if you can recognize God is hiding somewhere in the situation i observed in my first post why not the new impressionable mankind recognize that. If they don't know it by the name of God well and good they would find out one in due course.
    If we pass on the idea of God then there is no need for this discussion, if you read the original post rightly. If atheism is fed in a capsule, fine, then read my first post.
    uhh.. why then that 'Yes, yes' if you don't know the question..?
    The issue is as you called 'crock-of-shit'. Go back read patiently and carefully my first post.

14. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

The biggest value of such a capsule would be to tell a future race what mistakes to avoid.

Since religion is one of the biggest mistakes mankind has ever made it is vital that religion is described in detail including the mess it has caused.

15. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

Cris,

There are 2 possibilities that you would not like.

1. If religion already happened before opening the capsule, then the capsule would be a little hell of forbidden evil hand-book of devil.

2. If the humanity is in a bigger mess (ofcourse atheistic

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

) when they open it then they would find the capsule as a forbidden gateway to God.

16. dribbler Banned Banned

God will let himself be known.

17. Balerion Banned Banned

Cris,

I don't know if I can agree with that, because what's to say the people would not attribute the information to a god? I mean, depending on what thier language capabilities were, or what level of intelligence they were, it's logical to say that we could even say "WE ARE NOT GODS. WE ARE HUMANS. THIS IS NOT AN OMNIPOTENT BEING SPEAKING TO YOU," and they might still believe it to be the work of a deity, isn't it?

JD

18. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

JD,

Unless we can accurately predict the future then all we can do is provide as much information as possible and hope they achieve a level of evolved understanding and intelligence that will enable them to decide correctly.

If they don't then there is little we can do.

19. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

Saviors need not apply

You are the first person I've heard admit that you 'don't need a savior--you are your own!' That makes two of us! I'd like to hear more discussion about a person being one's own savior. You've just hit the nail on the head! Each of us need to accept responsiblity for our own transgressions.