I few thoughts on some Biblical passages

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by DJSupreme23, Jul 2, 2003.

1. DJSupreme23 neocortex activated Registered Senior Member

I guess most people here hav heard about the Biblical passages about Adam & Eve, and the garden og Paradise.

Some things just occurred to me. The store goes such as this:

Adam & Eve live in peace and harmony in the garden of eden. God has said that can eat all the fruit and whatnot that the want, just not from the Tree of knowledge. Anyway, Eve proceeds to do this, lured by the serpent ( a snake coiled around the tree). And she proceeds to lure Adam to eat the fruit, as well, and it goes downhill from there. God discovers this, gets aggrevated, and kicks out Adam & Eve like a landlord with a bad attitude. And the serpent as well.

My thoughts on the matter (apart from teh obvious sexist angle

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

:

You can consider the immideate and obvious interpretation of the myth, as knowledge as an "evil". Thats the biblical (excuse the pun

interpretation: It would certainly apply if you choose to see the evils of the world as primarily produced by knowledge/science (say, firearms, nuclear weapons etc). But in my opinions, thats a bit far fetched.

My dawned on me, was that there is another intepretation of the original sin:

That eating from the tree of knowledge GAVE HUMANS SENTIENCE.

Reasnoning: Animals are not sentient. The do not think, as such, they do not philosophize, and THE DO NOT THINK OF THAT THING WE CALL "EVIL".

Evil is a concept can only exist in a capable mind, and of course, an animal do not possess that capability. Humans, on the otehr hand, do.

Another thing that supports my theory, is that according to the Biblical story, Adam & Eve became aware of their nudity, after eating of the tree of life. But, they had been nude all along, and not aware of it, and not bothered by it - exactly like animals!

And for good measure, the serpent followed the two humans, quite possibly to serve as a symbol of our "EVILS", a tool for projection.

But the essence of this is that EVIL does not exist, as such - the idea of evil, however is a consequence of attaining sentience, and consideration of the natural state of things (killing, violence, fear - etc).

Sorry for this rant...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

No.
    Read on...

Exactly!

It was not "The Tree of Knowledge".
    It was "The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil".

Eating from the fruit of that tree gave them knowledge of good and evil and with that knowledge comes the inevitability to choose between the two.

Sentience.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.