Can God commit suicide?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Greco, Jun 19, 2003.

1. Greco Registered Senior Member

Another perplexing question regarding the powers of God. Is God trapped into an everlasting existence with no way out? If God can not commit suicide doesn't that limit his options? Must God always be God and experience eternity with all its faults? After creating a zillion universes, would he become bored?

Just wondering?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Saint Valued Senior Member

If you mean the God of bible, to tell you the truth, he had died long long time ago !

He is not bored, he enjoys killing people through the hands of Israel.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. CHRISCUNNINGHAM The Ethereal Paradigm Registered Senior Member

It is quite simple Greco...possibility, chance, logic, all have been created by God. Therefore he is not restricted by these things. So please..stop asking...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John Locke Registered Member

This is just another example of men trying to think of God in anthropomorphic terms. God is not permitted to commit acts of nonsense, for by doing so he would be betraying himself and all that he has created; logic, existence, truth, &c. "Boredom" is something for which not even the Greeks had a word for (for they never experienced it), and why should God? Boredom is just another one of the the philosophical pseudo-dilemmas of postmodern Western society.

8. siledre Registered Senior Member

If I were God I would also create a bunch of stupid two legged creatures with huge egos just for the constant comedy.

9. Jade Squirrel Impassioned Atheist Registered Senior Member

Apparently he did. He sent himself down to die for us. I'd call that suicide.

10. Maia Crimson Spirit Registered Senior Member

Actually, he committed suicide because he broke up with his girlfriend. Namely, Reason.

11. okinrus Registered Senior Member

In Isaiah, God says "Let us reason together."

12. Maia Crimson Spirit Registered Senior Member

Bah, he's just trying to get his girl to come back to him.

But Reason is smarter than that. She knows how to dump a loser once and for all ...

Yay for Reason!

13. okinrus Registered Senior Member

Yes it is all to get a woman back! However the woman known as wickedness will be killed.

14. okinrus Registered Senior Member

Isaiah 62
    For Zion's sake I will not be silent, for Jerusalem's sake I will not be quiet, Until her vindication shines forth like the dawn and her victory like a burning torch.
    1 Nations shall behold your vindication, and all kings your glory; You shall be called by a new name pronounced by the mouth of the LORD.
    You shall be a glorious crown in the hand of the LORD, a royal diadem held by your God.
    No more shall men call you "Forsaken," or your land "Desolate," But you shall be called "My Delight," and your land "Espoused." For the LORD delights in you, and makes your land his spouse.
    As a young man marries a virgin, your Builder shall marry you; And as a bridegroom rejoices in his bride so shall your God rejoice in you.
    2 Upon your walls, O Jerusalem, I have stationed watchmen; Never, by day or by night, shall they be silent. O you who are to remind the LORD, take no rest
    And give no rest to him, until he re-establishes Jerusalem And makes of it the pride of the earth.
    The LORD has sworn by his right hand and by his mighty arm: No more will I give your grain as food to your enemies; Nor shall foreigners drink your wine, for which you toiled.
    But you who harvest the grain shall eat it, and you shall praise the LORD; You who gather the grapes shall drink the wine in the courts of my sanctuary.
    3 Pass through, pass through the gates, prepare the way for the people; Build up, build up the highway, clear it of stones, raise up a standard over the nations.
    See, the LORD proclaims to the ends of the earth: Say to daughter Zion, your savior comes! Here is his reward with him, his recompense before him.
    They shall be called the holy people, the redeemed of the LORD, And you shall be called "Frequented," a city that is not forsaken.

15. Maia Crimson Spirit Registered Senior Member

I, Maia, will stand by her friend in unwavering loyalty to strike down all puny masculine control-oriented trivalities.

16. Maia Crimson Spirit Registered Senior Member

This "lord" of yours seems like a sexual predator. Either that, or some prepubescent boyish deity. He sees a potential "spouse" everywhere he goes.

Somehow, I'm quite sure I've seen that before in humans ... and humans believe in this ...

17. okinrus Registered Senior Member

1 For the leader; according to Mahalath. A maskil of David.
    Fools say in their hearts, "There is no God." Their deeds are loathsome and corrupt; not one does what is right.
    God looks down from heaven upon the human race, To see if even one is wise, if even one seeks God.
    All have gone astray; all alike are perverse. Not one does what is right, not even one.
    Will these evildoers never learn? They devour my people as they devour bread; they do not call upon God.
    They have good reason to fear, though now they do not fear. For God will certainly scatter the bones of the godless. They will surely be put to shame, for God has rejected them.
    Oh, that from Zion might come the deliverance of Israel, That Jacob may rejoice and Israel be glad when God restores the people!

18. Maia Crimson Spirit Registered Senior Member

Why am I wasting time to respond? Boredom perhaps?

1. What on earth is this? A decree of yours?

2. Based solely on your religion's doctrines. Which, as I say, are not any more credible than that of the horny-Satanic prepubescent geek-boy across the street.

3. See? He's smarting from the loss of his girlfriend. He's a dork. He's a loser. He is also characteristically male in that sense.

4. Perverse? Does this include anyone who does not agree with your views on bisexuality and homosexuality?

5. "Devour", as in "wash away all lies and promotions of idiocy with the blinding, sacred light of truth".

6. Oh, I'm so scared.

So characteristically ... prepubescent (I love that word, though I might be uncertain on its spelling).

7. Any religion that involves fervent belief in slaughter and/or conversion of an entire race at the end of the world is probably the work of some sex-deprived geek in Alaska.

19. okinrus Registered Senior Member

Now stop with the insults and ad hominem attacks. We all know that the beast has 10 horns.

Good thing I didn't quote Ezekiel.

No. I think someone can hold perverse views but not be totally perverse.

No
    John 6:51 "I am the living bread that came down from heaven; whoever eats this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world." However God says "you shall not live on bread alone but from every word of God" and also Jeremiah 17:5 "Thus says the LORD: Cursed is the man who trusts in human beings, who seeks his strength in flesh, whose heart turns away from the LORD." Jeremiah 17:14 "Heal me, LORD, that I may be healed; save me, that I may be saved, for it is you whom I praise. See how they say to me, "Where is the word of the LORD? Let it come to pass!". So Jesus is God. His living flesh is our food, the word of God within us. John 1:1 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God...." John 1:14 "And the Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us, and we saw his glory, the glory as of the Father's only Son, full of grace and truth." However this "made his dwelling among us" refers to Isaiah where God says that he will make his dwelling among us."

This was all to portend the Messiah our Lord.

20. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

To Okinrus who wrote: Must God always be God and experience eternity with all its faults?

I don't understand how a perfect being can create anything with 'faults'. If g-d is perfect then so is everything else....just the way it is!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2003
  21. Maia Crimson Spirit Registered Senior Member

Possibly because he has a morbid obsession with establishing superiority over hordes of "flawed" minions.

22. okinrus Registered Senior Member

I don't understand why a perfect being can create anything with 'faults'. If g-d is perfect then so is everything else....just the way it is!
    He didn't create faults. See the other posts about freewill.

23. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

I don't know Maia the whole of occidental religions seem to have too many weird ideas. I don't feel the need for any of it really but if I did I think the East is where I would turn. I bet the buddhists laugh at us for all the confusion, I mean man against god, god against man, man against nature, nature against god....where does the split ever end! Maybe I'll become a pagan, at least they have great fertility festivals