So, what'll happen to me?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by croper, Jun 18, 2003.

1. croper Registered Senior Member

I don't believe in any god, and religion really turns me off. I just don't like it at all. I have no reason to believe, I don't feel I'm missing out on anything etc... You could argue that I should be interested, that I should investigate it. No doubt stamp collectors have similar ideas

So, I'll continue to live my life has I already have done, until the day I die. I shall die having never believed in a god.

Fair enough, there are plenty like me.

Now, as far as I can gather by reading other threads on this forum, Christians believe that I shall go to hell. Of course, I don't believe it so I am not scared (when I die I expect to be nothing more than wormfood). However, Christians do believe it.

So this is a question to them:

How do you feel that your God will send me (an average Joe who's never killed / raped / stolen etc...) to hell for a spot of eternal suffering and damnation?

After all, 70 years (or however long I live for) of ignorance (as I guess you would see it), is hardly a crime worthy of eternal suffering is it?

Or is it?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jeremy Imagine Registered Senior Member

Don't worry, your body becomes wormfood, your sole becomes a ghost, and you spend eternity anywhere you damn well choose! And with all those bible toting Christians in heaven who the hell would want to go there!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Flores Registered Senior Member

We don't give a shit were you go....The Quran mentions that on that day pregnant ladies will drop their load unformed and will forget about their own children, each one for their own salvation my friend. ...Your deeds will determine your ending...so be rightous for your own good sake.

The Calamity
    In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.

[101.1] The terrible calamity!
    [101.2] What is the terrible calamity!
    [101.3] And what will make you comprehend what the terrible calamity is?
    [101.4] The day on which men shall be as scattered moths,
    [101.5] And the mountains shall be as loosened wool.
    [101.6] Then as for him whose measure of good deeds is heavy,
    [101.7] He shall live a pleasant life.
    [101.8] And as for him whose measure of good deeds is light,
    [101.9] His abode shall be the abyss.
    [101.10] And what will make you know what it is?
    [101.11] A burning fire.

[75.10] Man shall say on that day: Whither to fly to?
    [75.11] By no means! there shall be no place of refuge!
    [75.12] With your Lord alone shall on that.day be the place of rest.
    [75.13] Man shall on that day be informed of what he sent before and (what he) put off.
    [75.14] Nay! man is evidence against himself,
    [75.15] Though he puts forth his excuses.
    [75.16] Do not move your tongue with it to make haste with it,
    [75.17] : Surely on Us (devolves) the collecting of it and the reciting of it.
    [75.18] Therefore when We have recited it, follow its recitation.
    [75.19] Again on Us (devolves) the explaining of it.
    [75.20] Nay! But you love the present life,
    [75.21] And neglect the hereafter.
    [75.22] (Some) faces on that day shall be bright,
    [75.23] Looking to their Lord.
    [75.24] And (other) faces on that day shall be gloomy,
    [75.25] Knowing that there will be made to befall them some great calamity.
    [75.26] Nay! When it comes up to the throat,
    [75.27] And it is said: Who will be a magician?
    [75.28] And he is sure that it is the (hour of) parting
    [75.29] And affliction is combined with affliction;
    [75.30] To your Lord on that day shall be the driving.
    [75.31] So he did not accept the truth, nor did he pray,
    [75.32] But called the truth a lie and turned back,
    [75.33] Then he went to his followers, walking away in haughtiness.
    [75.34] Nearer to you (is destruction) and nearer,
    [75.35] Again (consider how) nearer to you and nearer.
    [75.36] Does man think that he is to be left to wander without an aim?
    [75.37] Was he not a small seed in the seminal elements,
    [75.38] Then he was a clot of blood, so He created (him) then made (him) perfect.
    [75.39] Then He made of him two kinds, the male and the female.
    [75.40] Is not He able to give life to the dead?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. croper Registered Senior Member

Re: Re: So, what'll happen to me?

Feel the love people.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Flores Registered Senior Member

Would you prefer if I say, don't worry croper, I'll try to forget my two kids, husband, and parents, and will carry you on my very back on judgement day and will plead for your salvation.

9. croper Registered Senior Member

No of course not. Mainly because that's not what I (thought I) asked....

I was just taken aback a bit by your rather hateful preachy response.

So I take it that you think that if a man were to spend his life a non-believer (in my case, as nobody has ever given me a single reason to believer), he deserves eternal suffering?

10. Flores Registered Senior Member

You didn't read a single word of the Quranic verses I put forth.

It specifically talk about a scale to your life and good deeds and bad deeds. If your scale tips to the bad actions buddy, you can kiss your ass goodbye. It has nothing to do with believe, it is all about your deeds.

Do you feel that you are an overall good person without much burden on your conscious, or are you sick worried about all those hamsters that you squeezed to death when you were a toddler.

11. Jeremy Imagine Registered Senior Member

I think true ignorance would save you sole. You are not truly ignorant though, are you? You are in this thread after all.
    It is more about a choice of right wrong, and making the right choices. Which, even if you don't believe in heaven and soles, afterlife etc., you should still believe in making the right choice. It helps you to spend the rest of your life without regrets.

I care were you go.
    Numbers get you every time.

12. croper Registered Senior Member

I understood the first quote to mean just that, but the second one lost me a bit a I must admit (call me stupid!). It is quite heavy going, and its meaning wasn't clear to me.

So what you're telling me is, in fact, you don't believe I'll burn in hell simply because I'm a non-believer, but that I will be judged on the life I have lead?

And no, I have never squeezed a hamster to death!

13. Flores Registered Senior Member

The second area talks about man's brain. What man brought forth and what we put behind. This means our consious and subconsious will judge each other. Did our actions meet our own perception of good and bad? Is our conscious clear, or did we justify it too many time and put back the justification in a hidden place. The scale will determine if we are deemed fit to continue to eternal bliss or eternal torture.

Noone can measure believe, believe is what motivates us to lead good lives. Some people who don't even know that they are believers are avid believer, while others that say that they really believe, don't really believe and it doesn't transpire in their lives.

14. croper Registered Senior Member

This sounds reasonable to me. Of course, as a decent human being I try to do whats best.

Although as a mere human, there is no way I can avoid commiting 'sin' at various points throughout my life. By the time I die, I will have aquired quite a back catalogue of 'sin' I'm sure. This, coupled with being a non believer, I thought = eternal suffering.

15. okinrus Registered Senior Member

Another possibility if you do not commit any mortal sins is that God will throw you into purgatory for like 1000 years or so.

16. Jeremy Imagine Registered Senior Member

Is not 1000 years divided by eternity zero? (o.k. math wizzes get out your calculators..)

17. daktaklakpak God is irrelevant! Registered Senior Member

Not many believers really think about what eternity means. Even it's a short 1 million years, you will quickly run out of ideas why you should stay alive.

18. SuperS32 Registered Member

Remember this croper:

If heaven existed (which I'm skeptical it does), I would imagine it would be meant for truly good people, no matter what religion or creed they believe in.

However, I would have to agree with most of Jeremy's thoughts (urrr...sarcastic comments) in this thread.

See you in hell!

19. MrMynomics The Boss Registered Senior Member

what will happen if you have lost control of your mind

20. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Cropper,

This is no problem. Make sure you take out an insurance policy with a good cryogenics institute, like ALCOR for example, such that when your body dies, providing they can get to you within 30 minutes or so, they can cryogenically preserve your brain with all its neural networks intact.

You’ll then need to wait a few years, hopefully not too many, until computing technology has developed to a suitable state where your neural networks can be scanned, digitized and then uploaded into a computer based substrate.

The computing power equivalent to a human brain should be available in a few years, but the software algorithms to animate your neural networks are likely to take a while longer, say another 15 to 50 years.

Once your brain patterns have been uploaded you will have become a Robo-Sapien with the same intellectual and emotional capabilities as a regular human. The advantages of course are numerous. The most important though is that regular backups effectively guarantee immortality so you can forget all that heaven and hell nonsense.

You can still believe or disbelieve in a god of course, although the topic would be somewhat meaningless.

21. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

DON'T BELIEVE.. SOME PEOPLE PROMISE HEAVEN.. SOME PEOPLE PROMISE IMMORTALITY.. PRAY GOD TO SAVE YOU FROM THEM WHEN YOU ARE ALIVE...

22. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

And at least another empty promise.

23. Flores Registered Senior Member

I didn't know that our medical field is referring to the Matrix for state of the art medical opinions and ideas.....Wow..