Electrons a?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by shit break, May 31, 2003.

1. shit break Registered Member

I would like to know how an electron stays in orbit around the nucleus of an atom?

Keep it real.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. lethe Registered Senior Member

the electron is negatively charged. the nucleus is positively charged. opposite charges attract. thus the nucleus attracts the electron, keeping it in orbit around the nucleus.

keepin it real.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ryans Come to see me about a dog hey Registered Senior Member

Just furthering what lethe said. If you are young, then try to steer clear of the planetary model of the aton, as it will confuse you when you do later studies. Electrons and protons are oppositelly charged and therefore have an attractive force between them given by coulomb's law. As you may well Know, any force is simply the negative gradient of the potential between the 2 charges, giving us the coulomb potential. When this potentia; is inserted into Schroedingers equation, the states of say, the hydrogen atom are found.

Keepin it simple.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. shit break Registered Member

I know opposites attract but what goes between them that cause's the attraction and how does the electron stay in a fixed position orbiting the nucleus?

Whats the coulomb potential?

Can you make an example because I can't picture it.

8. MacM Registered Senior Member

Coulomb

Shit Break,

A Coulomb is defined as the quantity of electricity passing through a cross-sectional surface in one second, if the current is one absolute ampere. An absolute ampere is the current flowing through two parallel wires 1 m apart of free space if the electrodynamic force between the wires is 2 x E-7 Newton = 0.02 dyne/m.

An electron has a charge of 1.6E-19C or it takes 6.25E18 electron/sec passing a fixed point to equal one ampere.

Also I think what ryans, was trying to tell you is that generally the atom isn't viewed as a minature solar system. The electrons are more of a charge cloud around the nucleus.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2003
  9. ryans Come to see me about a dog hey Registered Senior Member

Good try Mac, but I think he was looking for a definition of the Coulomb potential, not the coulomb.

The coulom potential is the potential between 2 oppositely charged masses, and is proportional to 1/x where x is the distance between the charges.

10. shit break Registered Member

Thanks got a better picture of what it is now, but you know most of what you guys said goes straight over my head lol.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. MacM Registered Senior Member

Question

ryans,

Question: How would the force between the two wires circular by linear (1 meter long) compare to the force between two spheres correlate? It seems to me that something is missing having to do with the gauge of the wires and the r of the sphere.

It seems a coulomb potential should be the same or is "potential" expressed only as a sphere?

12. ryans Come to see me about a dog hey Registered Senior Member

When people say Coulomb potential, they usually mean a potential between unlike charges that falls off as 1/x. Also, all other potentials, between wires, spheres, planes can be derived from this.

13. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

MacM:

<i>How would the force between the two wires circular by linear (1 meter long) compare to the force between two spheres correlate?</i>

The force between 2 charged spheres goes as the inverse square of the distance between them. The force between two wires goes as the inverse of the distance between them (not squared).

<i>It seems a coulomb potential should be the same or is "potential" expressed only as a sphere?</i>

Potential is a general term applicable to any shaped object.

14. MacM Registered Senior Member

Got it

JAmes R.,

Got the geometry affect but is either referenced as columb force.

In the case of wires it was 0.02 dynes.meter.

15. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

The Coulomb force is the electrostatic force between any two charged objects, regardless of shape.

16. MacM Registered Senior Member

Yes

James R.,

Yes but my question is what is the value considered to be one coulomb force. Is it the 0.02 dynes/meter? The r will vary with geometry but the value should be the same.

17. ryans Come to see me about a dog hey Registered Senior Member

The unit of force is Newtons.

You may however be talking about energy. For example 1 electron volt is the kinetic energy gained by an electron traversing a distance of 1 meter in an electric field with a strength of 1 V/meter.