Two question about ethics for those who think they know better than God

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by answers, May 4, 2003.

1. answers Registered Senior Member

Two Ethical Questions...
    Topic: Leadership, Ethics

Q1: If you knew a woman who was pregnant, who had 8 kids already, three who were deaf, two who were blind, one mentally retarded, and she had syphilis; would you recommend that she have an abortion?

Read the next question before scrolling down to the answer of this one.

Q2: It is time to elect the world leader, and your vote counts. Here are the facts about the three leading candidates:

Candidate A - Associates with crooked politicians, and consults with astrologists. He's had two mistresses. He also chain smokes and drinks 8 to 10 martinis a day.

Candidate B - He was kicked out of office twice, sleeps until noon, used opium in college and drinks a quart of whisky every evening.

Candidate C - He is a decorated war hero. He's a vegetarian, doesn't smoke, drinks an occasional beer and hasn't had any extramarital affairs.

Which of these candidates would be your choice? Decide first, no peeking,
    then scroll down for the answer. Please use all your logic for your answers. I wan't all the atheists here, to use all their logic, and all there education and knowledge, (the same stuff that you use to decide that God doesn't exist), to answer these 2 questions.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    LOL I'll give you the answers once I see yours. I'll post my answers in 24 hours. (please no one be a jerk and screw this thing up, can we just have one logical post where no one resorts to calling each other 4 letter words (mainly calling me them lol

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

CyA soon

From Tim

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

You say nothing about the cultural or financial circumstances which would aid a complete analysis. In some cultures large families are necessary to support the family. For example; genuinely blind beggars could possible yield real income for the family. Also if the family was wealthy then such perceived disabilities could be easily absorbed. If the woman felt her life was at serious risk by having another child then perhaps she should have an abortion but that would have to be her choice. But I am an optimist and it looks like the family could do with some extra help and another child might grow without disabilities. People learn significantly through perceived hardship and many are prepared to take on extra hardship where others would not. I would not judge such people. If the child is wanted, through whatever reason then it should be given a chance to live.

You haven’t stated any important details, e.g. their intellectual capabilities, leadership qualities and ability to achieve under difficult circumstances. These all sound like past politicians, probably good ones. History shows that most really successful people have endured and attempted many ventures and have failed many times before doing their best. The sign of real success is that of continuing to try and learning from past mistakes and experiences.

I wouldn’t judge someone by their lifestyle or past mistakes but instead examine what they can do for me today and look at what they have learnt through real experience. You haven’t provided any useful information on which to make an informed decision. The information you have provided seems to be the type of information that prudish judgmental Christians would seek based on their antiquated concept of morality.

Last edited: May 4, 2003
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. BloodSuckingGerbile Master of Puppets Registered Senior Member

If I knew a woman like that, that would be the ultimate proof to the fact that if God exists, he's the biggest bitch in the whole wide world.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. True Wisdom Registered Senior Member

The descriptions sound familiar:

Candidate A is Franklin D. Roosevelt
    Candidate B is Winston Churchill
    Candidate C is Adolph Hitler

and say NO to the abortion or otherwise Ludwig Von Beethoven would die.

8. Allahs_Mathematics Mar'Ifah Ahl As-Suffah Registered Senior Member

From an authorizing point of view , I would not just recommend an abortion , I would enforce an abortion . And just to ad , I have to say under my authority she wouldnt have those 8 retard kids either .

Im sorry but I wouldnt choose for any of these kind of people .
    None of what u mentioned expalins or shows the element I would care one leader to have .

I must say i dont like drunks, but thats another thing .

I dont see really what all of this has to do with ethics , unless you dont link some theory (I assume your standard theological christian one) to it .

Let me ask you though . Is it good because God chooses it , or does God choose it because it is good ?

A)Implies Good to be irellevant as God since Authority decides what Good is
    B)Implies God not to be the authorizing force , as Good is superior to God .

Thats a bitch for a Christian is it ?

9. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

I have to say under my authority she wouldnt have those 8 retard kids either

The delusional megalomaniac is unable to place himself anywhere but above the law, and would never consider to be on the receiving end of that so-called “authority.”

10. Horseman42 Registered Senior Member

answers,

Who am I to say if she should have another child or not this is totally her choice. Any one of those kids mentioned above could grow up to be the person who finds the cure to cancer or lead a good respectable life despite their hardships.

Again like stated before you haven't stated any of the candidates important qualities like intelligence, education ect....

No one can make an informed choice based on the factors you have listed. While I don't advocate such thinkgs like smoking or drinking it's hardly relivant to what kind of job they might do in office.

11. Xev Registered Senior Member

Oh wow, I've only seen this e-mail about five billion times.

It's not my decision. Counterpoint:

If you knew a woman who worked 12 hours a day just to support her two children and brutal husband, she's dirt poor and expecting her third child.

Would you recommend abortion?

Congratulations, you just saved millions of lives by preventing Joseph Stalin's birth!

12. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

After all those mishaps i doubt she's having them on her free will...if she is then she deserves to offed.

So...doesn't mean that's he isn't more than capable of doing the job.

Again says nothing of his leadership skills and intelligence.

Sounds like a dictator to me or a amazing leader..it could go any which way.

If i had to vote with such shoddy information about my leaders then i would be pretty screwed wouldn't i.

13. spacemanspiff czar of things Registered Senior Member

isn't god supposed to be omnipotent. that seems kind of unfair that God knows how the canidates will turn out before voting and all i have to go one is their eating and drinking habbits.

I don't see what the point is. no one would say that IF there were an omnipotent being that they would know better than him. they just doubt that there is one.

14. answers Registered Senior Member

Man you people can bull crap.

Anyway, someone said the right answer

Candidate A is Franklin D. Roosevelt
    Candidate B is Winston Churchill
    Candidate C is Adolph Hitler

Answer to the abortion question - if you said yes, you just killed Beethoven.

Point is saying this, although some people think the facts weren't relevant, or didn't give you enough information, they were still facts about the people. Today there is the issue of euthanasia, where one person uses their own opinion to assess whether they should live or die. A doctor might say how bad their health is, but really it has nothing to do with it. Because in that persons opinion, they can still say their life is fine, and that they don't want to die. My point is, if we can't make small decisions, based on some facts, then how can we make decisions concerning such a big thing like life, if all we have is opinion.

P.S you don't have to hate me just because you've heard these questions before, or don't think they are good enough. If you hate people so easily in your everyday life, then I'm glad that I live far away from you. Maybe before you give Christianity so much crap, you should look at what your own philosophy or religion is making you (e.g hatefilled, proud, egotistical, arrogant, judgemental, ignorant?).

15. Xev Registered Senior Member

Your point is invalid - you just murdered millions of Russians by forcing Stalin's mother to carry him to term.

Nobody's "hating" you, take a fucking Valium and chill.

Hmm, coming from an advocate of a religion that slaughtered millions of people....

16. Allahs_Mathematics Mar'Ifah Ahl As-Suffah Registered Senior Member

Q , get over yourself man .

answers : toobad u didnt care to answer my question .
    Im glad it shows choosing people by ignorant attributes gives u doofus leaders . Killing beethoven isnt quite a bad option , especially when the system its done in provides the solution to all those retards walking around just because you and your invisible space alien feel bad about killing them .

BTW , did u know abortion is OK according to the scriptures , and that it also was OK according the church before they figured that the undeveloped thingie was a miniature man , but they just didnt care to go along with the scientific evidence provided afterwards . Before all this the theory was that the soul enters the body after 3 or 4 weeks .

The sillyness some people bring forth is just killing me

Did u rather have a Jewish conspiracy running communism Xev ?
    Perhaps I would actually.....they were at lot smart than Stalin at least , and as they were fighting for their own benefits at least they brought along benefits for those who were opressed as well . If u dont know what Im talking about , the Lenin-Trotsky gang was entirely eliminated (chased out or killed) by mr Stalin .

But whats with all these bad people preventing bull anyways ?
    As if there aint enough idiots who can replace about everybody everywhere . I dont think that preventing people from being born actually contributes to peace in that sense .

did you know they tried to push Jews into pools so they got baptized and saved by Jesus ? I believe it was Martin Luther that came up with this wonderfull plan .
    LMAO

Im not using this ridiciouless argument to prove their innocense (on the contrary) , but rather to show the Christian logics through the years .

In conclusion , this one of the most dumbest tests ive ever seen in my life that tries to prove how great Christianity is , amazing thing is neither God nor Christianity even has role in it .

17. Blindman Valued Senior Member

Q1: I would recommend she have an abortion as long as she can deal with the stress and anguish that may be involved. Only if the child is in the first trimester. Only after explaining the other options, such as adoption. The fact that the child may be handicapped is irrelevant. The reason for abortion would be my fear of her ability to cope with a ninth child.

Q2: I do not vote on personality, only on policy. I would not vote for any of the candidates because I have no knowledge of the political policies.

Pretty much a loaded question. I don’t think I know better then god because I believe there is no god.

18. Xev Registered Senior Member

I'm not sure what level to ridicule this comment on.

19. Horseman42 Registered Senior Member

answers,

So your point is you should never assume things about anyone based on their lifestyle. This is the only lesson I could get out this rediculous question you proposed.

20. Allahs_Mathematics Mar'Ifah Ahl As-Suffah Registered Senior Member

The level that helps you to make a point best
    I do hope you read what said beneath this sentence as well .

21. Dystran Hart Agnostic Registered Senior Member

In relation to the original question, you must remember that the question was set prior to anyone knowing whom the people were. You cannot be secure in yoru choices at that time, but can only base you judgement on logic at_that_time. The case just happened to be an extreme one.

Of course people cannot be taken on face value, but would you choose every drunken, two timing lying human being over a supposed clean living high moralled individual in every case?
    If this logic was followed in all cases, you may have one Churchill flaoting about, but for each Churchill you would have another 200 negative characters in other positions around the world.

Besides, I would chose the individuals upon their policies and ideals - and if these were also printed in this thread (ie. the decorated war veteran having policies on the true bloods) then he would not have been selected by me.

As regarding the baby and the risk, is one Beethoven better than a few hundred other children starting out life in a negative position in society? thats the real question - I would not agree of disagree with advising the parent to not have another child just because there is a one iin a million chance of the baby being a fine musician

22. Mucker Great View! Registered Senior Member

Candidate C had also been to prison 10 years before he came to power though!

23. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Stale

This argument was stale ten years ago.

Hitler's parents, or Mugabe's, could have benefited from abortion; so would the rest of the world, especially the thousands and millions of people who suffer and die because of these and other tyrants.

It depends on what's important to a person. God's law? Hey, a refusal to take responsibility for one's own actions is no reason to forbid others the opportunity to be responsible for their own selves. Suffering in general? There we enter a nasty arena and start balancing the scales with tragedy.

If human beings were smarter, abortion would not be necessary except on the most isolated and extreme occasions. It seems to me that this is the solution that, in the long run, brings the greatest profit.

:m:,
    Tiassa