what do you think about removing church from state?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by JOHANNsebastianBACH, Mar 14, 2003.

1. JOHANNsebastianBACH concert master Registered Senior Member

I diden't get the feed back I was looking for on my post ( Christianity and democracy) so I am now just asking the simple question:

what do you think about removing church from state?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Ok, i'll be honest:
    I think church should DEFINATELY be removed from state, completely removed. But this would be an absolutely HUGE change and I can't see it happening in the near future.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. JOHANNsebastianBACH concert master Registered Senior Member

Dr Lou Natic: In what ways do you think church hasen't been fully removed from state?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

church should not only be removed from state, but from society entirely.

8. JOHANNsebastianBACH concert master Registered Senior Member

I disagree, but I am not a religious fan at all. people have the right to believe what they will.

9. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

i'm sure that some people believe they have the right to use heroin. Doesn't mean that it should be allowed. Although personally i'd rather see them do heroin than religion.

10. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Every way, it hasn't even been removed from your psche but its so deeply ingrained that you don't even realise it.
    Think about what you think is important, compassion for your fellow man? Church. Treating everyone as equal? Church.
    Society in general was spawned from religion.

11. JOHANNsebastianBACH concert master Registered Senior Member

spuriousmonkey: Great point. I believe the use of heroin should not be illegal, but the production and distribution of it should. which is the same as I believe all religions have a place, but it is un constitutional for the government to distribute it.

12. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

first there was society, then there was religion

13. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

according to your logic it should also be illegal for church to distribute religion. Then i could live with it. If someone comes up with a religion all by himself and keeps it to himself then it is fine. No more organized religion, since they are all cults.

14. JOHANNsebastianBACH concert master Registered Senior Member

Those aren’t directly church related. Those are morals that keep peace within any given government by the citizens.

15. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

But what kind of society?
    I truely believe todays society is indirectly a product of religion even though most people these days can see how ridiculous most religions are they still live by religious morals.

16. JOHANNsebastianBACH concert master Registered Senior Member

No, it should be illegal for the government to support a single religion. The church can solicit but not force it on others or be publicly prejudice against others who disagree.

17. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

it is obvious that there was first society, since we are the only species with the concept of religion (as far as we know). Our closest relatives the chimpanzees have complex social structures complete with morality. We must assume that our ancestors had at least a similar social structure with moral values. But we can assume that they lacked religion. Religion therefore came pretty late in our evolution as species in the form of a human construction to make sense of the threatening world and to unite the group. Eventually this might have facilitated the birth of larger societies, because the power became centralized and of a different order, a supernatural one.

18. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

it should be illegal for the government to support a single brand of heroin. Dealers can solicit, but not force their heroin on others or be publicly prejudiced against others who disagree?????????

19. JOHANNsebastianBACH concert master Registered Senior Member

spuriousmonkey: you are turnig my words around and around. it would be illegal to be a dealer. you could make your own and use it. that is it.

the church can solicite their religion becouse it is their right of free speech. but we dont have to listen

it is unconstitutional for the government to promte a single religion

these are what I believe

20. Taken Registered Senior Member

Very correct. Those are in fact Spiritual morals. The wisest teachers of all most all religions taught those principles as the key to fullfilment of truth and understanding. These founding fathers, sages, prophets, philosophers, what ever you will call them, understood that. A church per say is a segregated facility or group that thinks THEY know the rules to follow to get there. A wise man knows you dont have to "Get there"...it is in your heart, you just need to open your heart and mind and learn from it.

21. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

from my viewpoint i am not turning your words around, because religion and heroin...it is all the same to me

but that is just how i see the matter...

22. moonman Registered Senior Member

Firstly I think Antidisestablishmenterianism is a very long word.
    Secondly, church and state must be separate and completely independent for the state to be truely democratic. In sense the state should act agnostic if anything. Religious bias is one of the worst things working against democracy and justice. Just look at Iraq.

23. eddie monkey FU Registered Senior Member

While I support the idea of maintaining a separation of Church and State, historically their intertwineness was not always negative. Had it not been for the Church and State mixing and forming a well defended Christendom in the 800s the Muslims conquerors probably would have overran Europe, and the entire world would today be an Islamic state, which I would consider the worse possible situation for the world to be in.