The Catholic Church's Tolerance

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by eddie monkey, Mar 8, 2003.

1. eddie monkey FU Registered Senior Member

The Roman Catholic Church is pretty tolerant of other religions, and even believes that non-Christians can enter heaven. Doesn't this violate the first commandment?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Zero Banned Banned

Since when was the RCC tolerant? I assume you've never heard of the Inquisition. Hah, RCC is tolerant? A fucking joke.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. eddie monkey FU Registered Senior Member

The modern Roman Catholic Church is tolerant. I spent a couple of years at a Catholic school, and I can tell you that they are more tolerant of Islam and Buddhism than they are of Protestant churches. :bugeye:

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Aldah Registered Senior Member

It is indeed quite tolerant now, despite it's incredibley screwed up history. Zero is either a sarcastic twit, or honestly wants to know when the catholic church became the tolerant church it is today.

And yes, it does violate the commandments for one to worship another god... but there is nothing about catholics not being allowed to believe god forgives people who break the 1st commandment.

8. Zero Banned Banned

Some people are just ignorant dicks, aren't they? Sunday school teachers teaching that Hindus are "ignorant and superstitious" and that is is their duty to "educate and enlighten" them? Hello? Oh WAIT, there's no fucking person upstairs...

I will say this now. The RCC is an organization connected to the most retarded, deranged, useless, and worthless system of beliefs that exist in the mind of man. One simple example. They preach on how to have sex. Any celibate person (or ARE the priests/nuns even celibate, I'd like to know) has no right to teach others how to have sex. They're talking about something they have no experience of. Pure, pure stupidity.

And the pope just sitting there giving "messages of peace" to the world. OK, so THAT did a lot. I don't see him actually doing anything to stop the imminent slaughter.

Much much more on the stupidity of the RCC but I don't think I should waste my time over this.

9. Aldah Registered Senior Member

"worthless system of beliefs "

ah... so by your standards, you're a catholic?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

And what exactly would you prefer the pope to do? the papal position holds hardly any authority today, especially in the US. oh, I see what he should have done! Run around naked like everyone else...

10. Zero Banned Banned

Hm? Then do you claim that he has the right to preach on how to have sex? You DO? Sorry man, I didn't see that...*pulls out medical scanning equipment*

*brain scan*

You are not well. I will lead you to the nearest mental institute. Forgive me, I never meant to yell at a patient.

11. Xev Registered Senior Member

People give their priests the "right" to tell them where to stick their dick. It don't matter if the priests are celibate, sexually active, or having Borgia-style orgies in the fucking Vatican.

If person X appoints person Y as their leader, then person Y has every "right" to tell person X where to stick it.

12. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Zero

None of it, however, deals with the reality that there are millions of Catholics worldwide, and failing to account for what they believe and how that relates to interpersonal function will do nothing to help you resolve these obviously deep-seeded anti-religious ideas.

In high school I skipped school for the first time to attend to a friend of mine who was suffering suicidal tendencies. The attendance counselor didn't know what to say, and thus referred me to the disciplinary dean, who was equally befuddled and referred me to a priest (Father J):

J: Well, as you know, the school is concerned about your behavior.
    T: I like to think I have my reasons.
    J: I'm sure you do. It's well-known that this is a unique circumstance, and I'm not entirely sure what I'm supposed to do.
    T: Honestly, I woldn't worry about it. You know my habits, anyway. It's not like I missed anything I would have paid attention to in the first place.
    J: Which is another concern to me. Is everything okay?
    T: Well, aside from the obvious, yes.
    J: And your friends are doing alright? Who are your friends, anyway? Joe? Jeff? Sarah?
    T: Among others.
    J: You worry about them, too, don't you?
    T: Of course. They're my friends.
    J: And how's Jeff doing? I've been worried about him. He stopped coming to see me, and Mr. _____ tells me he's listening to Satanic heavy metal.
    T: Um ... er ... (Note aside--I could not figure out how to tell Father J that I was the one who introduced the young man in quesiton to "Satanic heavy metal"; it wasn't all Satanic. Just Agony Column, Slayer, King Diamond, and a few others.)
    J: And Sarah, I know she's been having a hard time?
    T: I think we all do. It's our job.
    J: (laughing) Sometimes I think you're right .....

(The conversation continues in that manner for another ten minutes until Father J, resigned to reality, settles on merely asking if I would like him to pray for anyone. I tell him his daily course will suffice, and I wander back to class having evaded twenty hours of detention for skipping four classes.)

Honestly? For all the bizarreness of Catholicism, they've always been fairly easy for me to deal with. One of the reasons for this is their modern sense of tolerance. Sure it's notstalgic to see some fundamentalist calling for the revocation of one's human or civil rights over matters theological, but Catholics have long-since learned that in order to properly stand before God and address questions of will and evangelism, they must simply accept the fact that people are people, and you do their best from there. Now, if they could just get the altar-boy fetish under wraps ....

As to issues of the First Commandment:

In a topic on that very point, I've been pushing the idea that the First is a measure against henotheism, a phenomenon which is asserted in the early history of what would become the Judaism we know and love. Henotheism is variously defined as "worship of one god without reference to the rest" and "making whatever the going deity was at the time supreme". (Paraphrased from a dictionary, and from Basham's summary of Max Mueller.)

For the Jews, then, it may have been a recognition of the fact that some Jews will live under oppression, and be obliged to honor local customs. Just keep Yahweh-God foremost in faith, as such.

In Christianity, it's a different story. The most likely time for the birth of Christ according to celestial phenomena would have been in June or July, and not in December. The first "Christmas" on December 25 coincided with various pagan solstice celebrations most commonly recognized today as the pagan Yule (December 22). According to the astronomical principle of precession, the solstice occurred three days later than at present, in other words, December 25. Easter, as well, is asserted to be a pagan adaptation, and in the early days of the church the Devil ceased representing the Jewish heirarchy when Christianity turned its focus to pagan conversions instead of Jewish conversions. The Catholic Church has gone out to the world aware that God could possibly have "left some people out" by the localization of time and space necessary for Christ's mission, though this can simply be addressed in the notion that God has appeared in so many societies to so many people, so to speak, that it is all one and the same. At this point, it seems to become a matter of name-recognition and market-share. But nonetheless, it does seem to justify in its own right the adoption of coinciding festivals to constitute Christian holidays.

The divinity of the saints and of the Virgin Mother is not placed "before God" as the rhetoric goes. I suppose this accounts for the divine pantheon of the rosary.

It's all a matter of what God's reality shows you, and the insistence that God Itself remain foremost above all else.

:m:,
    Tiassa

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!