Catholics

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Kant we all..., Mar 7, 2003.

1. Kant we all... Registered Senior Member

As I was gazing around on www.americancatholic.org , I noticed somewhere at some time (but when I went back I could not seem to find it) that "vengeance belongs to God alone."

Yet, by a certain line of reasoning, we could argue that--just as God could be said to be overseeing the process of evolution, or as he could deem authority over the phenomenon of open-heart surgery on a patient as a "miracle" of healing--God's vengeance on Iraq is being carried out "by" or "through" the United States...could we not? Granted, I do not have a solid opinion on this idea, and it is mere speculation.

Nevertheless, radical, Shi'ite Islam cannot be justified in a similar respect, for they are persecutors; they attack because they misunderstand the point of their own scriptures. Nor am I claiming that this war can be, in any way, "holy." I am only asking, Is it possible that by some "Intervention" on the part of God,--by God's mysterious manipulation,-- Saddam Hussein is "receiving his reward" by the United States, for the violations of the mandates set forth by the (much as I loathe this term) "international community"? That is to say, is it inconceivable that God is making his Justice come forth by allowing the U.S. to attack (if the attack ever comes)?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Psycho-Cannon Home grown and Psycho Registered Senior Member

I find it hard to believe God would choose such an unpopular and unbalanced vasal for his "Act of divine justice".
    this is more likly going to go down in History as an act of evil and the devils work.
    I don't think God is in the habit of shooting himself in the foot though i'm sure one or two people on these forums could contest that with a humours account or three ^_^

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kant we all... Registered Senior Member

"I find it hard to believe God would choose such an unpopular and unbalanced vasal for his 'Act of divine justice'."

I wish I were you. Because then, perhaps, I might have an inisight into "how God thinks."

"this is more likly going to go down in History as an act of evil and the devils work."

Of course it is likely. It is also likely that the fossils were placed here by God to make us "think" that the world evolved. But, as Saint Augustine might contend, if God is all-good, all-powerful, all-etc., then he would only allow an "act of evil" in the event that he could make a greater good arise from it--whether in the current, or in the long run.

"I don't think God is in the habit of shooting himself in the foot..."

I am, again, baffled by the fact that you and God think so much alike! Tell me, enlighten me, stimulate my intellect: How do you know that God isn't in the habit of shooting himself in the foot? Might not God eliminate all possibility of belief in his goodness so as to make our faith stronger, for that matter?

Does God think as humans do, necessarily?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Coldrake Registered Senior Member

Well, if we're going to talk about a god, as in the god of the Bible, then no, I don't think he would take sides in what would to him seem to be a trivial issue. If, and I sat IF, we can take the Bible as gospel, then the god of the Bible is not going to interfere in the indulgences of Man until such time that he would choose to destroy the world yet again. Unless of course, this is that time. As long as we're what iffing, maybe this is the next cataclysm; God is going to goad the US into destroying Iraq in such a devastating manner that it starts the next world war and voila, Armeggeddon. Maybe God has already found his next Noah and he is secretly building his fallout shelter for all the pairs of animals in the world as we type. Hmmm...no. I don't think God is paying any attention.

8. thecurly1 Registered Senior Member

MOVE THIS POST TO RELIGION!

9. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

It is also likely that the fossils were placed here by God to make us "think" that the world evolved.

This makes no sense. What would be the point of having “faith”? Why would God wish to confuse everyone on this most critical issue?

I agree with Curly.

10. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

God works in mysterious ways

I understand the sentiment that vengeance is God's alone.

Analogously, we might look at the Germans, who have been quite pacifist since World War II. Well, having been involved in the starting of two of the worst wars in world history, it is entirely possible that the Germans have appropriately learned the lessons of what warfare solves.

Catholicism, in history, has been militant to the point of the ridiculous. There is no justification for the savagery that fills a good portion of the Catholic experience in history. However, as we see, Catholicism has rendered itself partially impotent. The Church is unable to protect its most important sheep--the children--from itself; the Pope has copped to evolution; there is a certain sense of quasi-realistic dread about Catholicism these days that reflects the times. While even I am critical of the ability of the Christian collective to learn en masse, I have no basis to rule such communal learning impossible.

In that sense, we must simply hope for the best. The Catholics, as the Germans seem to know, should hopefully know what war brings.

The Americans, too. But when you get right down to it, we haven't ever been seriously kicked in a war. Vietnam was a debacle, but this nation has never been overrun since we overran the continent. The coming storm will probably not be enough to teach Americans what they so vitally--for the world's sake--need to learn. But we can always hope.

Of course, this could wind up just being arbitrary bitching from the Vatican, in which case I would be greatly disappointed. But this is bigger than someone telling me simply what Jesus tells them their heart says; I'll lend them the Pope two cents' credibility if it will help bring peace.

Of course, as I note: God works in mysterious ways. Maybe a desperate, crazy dictator emptying a horrible arsenal to the four winds is exactly God's way. Maybe a goofball American president rushing to war is exactly God's way. Ours is not of God to question why, ours is but to simply die. As to what takes place among people: tomorrow comes, we must hope for the best while demanding even better.

Anybody who asserts "God's way" must make sense to any of us is conning you.

:m:,
    Tiassa

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

I'm unfamiliar...how has catholicism been militant?

maybe i was missing the point but kant, it seemed you also know what "god" is "thinking".

12. shadows technocrat:Teach me Registered Senior Member

it was militant in its early days. I believe that most religon is mostly bullshit

13. Coldrake Registered Senior Member

14. Psycho-Cannon Home grown and Psycho Registered Senior Member

Lol woah woah woah sory i didn't expect anyone to take it so seriously.
    Given it the forum in which this was placed i assumed it was going to be fairly light hearted.
    It was just a though but not a serious one, whilst i used to be quite religious i haven't given the subject much serous though for many years.
    It was just meant as a light hearted comment.
    i take it you take religion seriously then ^_^
    I'm not going to go TV Evangalist on you and claim to have a hotline to god or know how he thinks ^_^
    I just grew up in a Christian background being taught about God (Vengefulness and all) but always being shown whilst he can beh very nasteh, when he acted through human parties they were always Charismatic nice guys (I think again i said its been many years)
    Unfotunatly religion and God are subjects that can't really be discussed at length here i don't think but if you want to carry this on in Religion then i guess i can get my faith hat back on.

15. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Long history

Examples abound:

- Urban II at Clermont, 1095
    - Albigenses (New Advent): I like, for instance, that the Catholic Encyclopedia merely notes: The heresy disappeared about the end of the fourteenth century.

Disappeared, you say? As Religion Portal notes:
    These are just a couple. Catholicism has a long history of persecution and military intervention.

:m:,
    Tiassa

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!