what if the devil was non-violent?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by sebsebseb123, Mar 6, 2003.

1. sebsebseb123 Registered Senior Member

what would hell be like?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Techno

Hell would be a 24-7 techno club offering trips that you can never come down from.

Macarena at 120/minute, anyone?

:m:,
    Tiassa

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Nightpoet Registered Senior Member

I think this may make me appear to be the most ignorant person on this board, but I don't care:
    Where does it say the devil is violent (only read parts of the OT, not NT)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

As far as I know, nowhere.
    It doesn't even mention Lucifer being the Devil or Satan.

I took this from a webpage a long time ago, so please forgive me if I can't remember the source.
    I can't qualify the validity of the source, but if I am wrong, please let me know, by quoting chapter and verse...

8. Nightpoet Registered Senior Member

Hm. i know that an angel (or some such creature) called Satan is in Job, but I had it explained to me that in the Hebrew it was actually HASATAN, The Satan, and his job was to seek out sinners, prove guilt, and punish them.

Where does the idea of Satan as evil and against God come in?

9. Darwin Disciple Evo v CS advocate Registered Senior Member

In the KJV and the other offsprings of it, God has done more harm to humankind than Satan had appearances. Perhaps god is a 4 headed monster than a three headed one, no? Father, son, holy spirit, and Satan!

10. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

he would probably play that insipidous Ketchup song over and over and over in that techno club, too.

11. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Satan wasn't always Satan

The greater portion of Christian diabology is non-biblical. In Numbers, God sent "a satan" (a stumbling block, an angel of the Lord) to save Balaam. In Job "Satan" appears as a character and apparently of some esteem. It is only late in the game among the Jews that the apocalyptics come to tell stories of the character of Satan.

My two favorite books to recommend about Satan:

Russell, Jeffrey B. Lucifer: The Devil in the Middle Ages. Ithaca: Cornell Univ. Press, 1984

Pagels, Elaine. The Origin of Satan. New York: Vintage, 1994.

You can probably find both secondhand, and therefore inexpensively, and the Russell book is one of several he wrote about the Devil. The books are so good that he is apparently slightly discouraged that his work about the Devil has eclipsed his more spiritual writings. Lucifer is a great examination of the history of ideas surrounding Satan. Origin is an excellent examination of the history surrounding the Gospels themselves, comparing the imagery of Satan in the New Testament with the events of the day. It's an entertaining and enlightening read.

But it's true, Satan hasn't always been Satan. In addition to Job, the character of Satan appears in 1 Chronicles 21.1 I noted the Hebrew page at Blue Letter Bible because "satan" does not seem to be a name in the Hebrew.

- A note regarding KJV: The Revised Standard Version of the Bible also makes Satan a character in 1 Chronicles.

- Incidentally, there's an interesting issue related to Satan and the census that I find entertaining ....

Most modern images of the Devil are non-biblical and aggressively propagandist.

I might also recommend Steven Brust's To Reign In Hell (recently reissued in trade paper from TOR) as a sympathetic and entertaining treatment of the mythology of Satan.

:m:,
    Tiassa

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. CaptainThor Registered Member

lol, yes, if there is this devil and a hell, then yes, we will listen to bad fab music from the 90s. In heaven, we must listen to Celine Dion.

13. Jolly Rodger Banned Banned

what if the sky falls

14. Microzoft Registered Senior Member

WHAT IF THERE WAS NO DEVIL?