"Good" Atheists are going to heaven

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by one_raven, Mar 2, 2003.

1. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

If an Atheist lives a morally "good" life, I contend that not only will that Atheist go to Heaven, but (s)he is more likely to get in than a Christian is.

Think about it.
    The Christian God judges people by the merit of their actions and the goodness in their heart.

Bill the Atheist lives a life fitting in with the moral precepts put forth in Christianity.
    Except for believing in God.
    He doesn't kill, rape, steal or intentionally harm others.
    He lives a selfless life with respect for all life.
    Then he dies.
    He finds out he was wrong and finds himself at the pearly gates to be judged.
    "D'oh", he says, "I didn't believe in God up until now" for whatever reason.
    Keep in mind, he didn't break the first Commandment, because he had no other Gods before the big guy.
    He didn't worship idols.
    He didn't believe in other Gods, simply because he didn't believe in ANY God.

If God (Christian version) is a just and good God...
    If he is a fair and understanding God...
    He would know that he created Bill with free will and an analytical logical mind to live in a world of injustice, evil and tyranny.
    God, if he actually is benevolent, would not (or even COULD not) hold the simple fact that Bill did not believe in him against him.

Now, Bill, who lived a good life, did it for his own selfless reasons.
    For no other reason than it was the right thing to do.
    He was not seeking the reward of Heaven, everlasting & and love or peace in the afterlife.
    He was not doing it out of fear of punishment from Satan, or fear of eternity in Hell.
    Since he did not believe in Heaven, Hell, God or Satan, his only guide for his life and morals was his own beliefs and moral standards.
    He acted entirely on his own volition.

The Christian (Sam) lived a good life (as good or even better than Bill) because he was vying for his place in Heaven and fearing punishment in Hell.

If a child behaves because he is a good child rather than behaving out of fear of reprisals and punishment from Daddy, who is the better child at heart and soul?

Who is a better person?
    Who deserves eternity in Heaven more?
    Who would God respect more?

Bill, that's who.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Voodoo Child Registered Senior Member

Partly. However, if you are not a Chrissie you're still going to burn because you've sinned. You get more converts(and tithes, social influence) if you have a monopoly on salvation.

Eph 2:8__
    For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spacemanspiff czar of things Registered Senior Member

jesus is lonley

the bible teaches us that we are all sinners. we're all going to hell.

see you guys there!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

If your an atheist, and you believe that you'll get into heaven for being good, then your not an atheist.

8. man_of_jade Psychic person Registered Senior Member

If an athiest who doesnt believe in god, heaven etc is good and does good things, then yes i think theyd go to heaven.

9. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

All good atheists remain in hell.

10. Bridge Registered Senior Member

I'm thinking along the same lines as CounselorCoffee, atheists don't want to go to heaven in the first place, it is a case of outright rejection. I contend the "Bill" in the above scenario wasn't an atheist at all. He was agnostic. He was agnostic because either too many people convinced him he couldn't know God during his fleshly life, or not enough people spent the time to help him find the answers he needed.

Whether or not Bill gets into heaven has nothing at all to do with what we think about Bill or how good Bill was. Therefore we cannot know if Bill will get into heaven. However, seeing that Bill is standing at the pearly gates rather than the wrought iron gates, I'd say he's ready to meet his maker.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Xev Registered Senior Member

Nope. Athiests can't get into heaven, no matter how good they are. Christians do get into heaven, especially when they're horrible.

This is a good thing, really. While the Christians are up in heaven, being raped by Ted Bundy, tortured by Torquemada and killed by Hitler, I'll be in hell sharing a joint with the Marquis de Sade.

Nyah. :m:

12. Bridge Registered Senior Member

They'll only sell bags of ditchweed down there, full of seeds and stems and overpriced by all standards, and you'll have to roll it up with toilet paper. All the really good stuff will be free in heaven, rolling papers included.

13. Xev Registered Senior Member

Bull, heaven will be run by Christians. Being uptight assholes, there ain't no way they'd know decent pot.

Hell, however, will be run by druggies and deviants. We'll have some fine shit indeed.

14. Bridge Registered Senior Member

Druggies and deviants. Yeah. They're certain to be cutting your weed with oregano. Meanwhile, up on cloudnine....no sin, no shake, no seeds that we don't need, Acapulco Gold is.....

Actually, I'm not sure how that'll work. I'm thinking the high will be to good to even care about pot. Idol worship. B'sides, I smoked enough in my day, lucky I have a big cranium, I didn't burn out all my brain cells.

15. Neville Registered Senior Member

lol!

Just because they don't believe in it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist?
    ^

Too true.
    Are you sure?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2003
  16. ilgwamh Fallen Angel Registered Senior Member

17. Xev Registered Senior Member

Hey Vinnie, long time, no see, link no workee.

18. ilgwamh Fallen Angel Registered Senior Member

Yes, its been a while. I hop yall sci-4umerz are laing off the .:m: :m: :m:

Actually, the link was working like 20 minutes ago. For some reason my entire site just stopped responding..

The site I pay for doesn't work right now but the free one does, go figure

Anyways, I take it that it will be up and running soon. If not I'll be really really "upset"

Vinine

19. Jenyar Solar flair Valued Senior Member

Weed is a plant that grows on earth. There won't be any in heaven or in hell. You all would have to find a way to become immortal.

As for being or doing 'good':

Matt.19:16Now a man came up to Jesus and asked, "Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?"
    17"Why do you ask me about what is good?" Jesus replied. "There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, obey the commandments."

John 3
    14Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the desert, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, 15that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life.
    16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

This is the message. Being 'good' or 'sufficiently good' has nothing to do with it. That only happens after your life has changed. The change is the lithmus test. If it doesn't change, you aren't believing. Shunning evil isn't a condition, it is a result - of obedience to God. And even then it isn't a qualifyier, because we still doubt and still disobey.

20. SVRP Registered Senior Member

Unless Bill has developed a relationship with God, as good as he my be, he will not even see heaven's gates.

John 3:3 - Jesus answered and said to him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God."

21. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

"Good" Atheists are going to heaven

that's bad news...now i will have to behave like a bad atheist since I surely don't want to end up in heaven.

how does this heaven thing go? Your standing in front of the gates of heaven and god decides you may enter. What if you don't want to. Will god force you to go into heaven or is refusal a direct ticket to hell? Do we have any free will in this matter?

22. Jenyar Solar flair Valued Senior Member

That is the Hollywood version, yes. Actually, "heaven" only means sky. The concepts of paradise and the kingdom of God are much more complex.

We know the kingdom of God is within us as the Spirit, that flesh and blood will not inherit it, neither those who have not repented (admitted they are guilty of sin and in need of salvation). Paradise is the promise of what will be when all sins are destroyed. Who knows what the new heaven and the new earth will look like? But only those who were made worthy will live in it. The rest will be outside it. That's the nature of things - and if Jesus really is the Son of God he would know, and he said that outside it is not were you want to be.

Revelation 12:10
    Then I heard a loud voice in heaven say: "Now have come the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God, and the authority of his Christ. For the accuser of our brothers, who accuses them before our God day and night, has been hurled down.

23. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

when atheists go to heaven they would refuse to accept existence of earth and hell.. humans are just God's fantacy.. they might argue..!!!