fundy atheists

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Amie, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Amie Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Wow.

That is one bitter f--king Christian. Better get their cheese straight before the Lawd comes a-ringin'!

That's two "You might be" topics recently, and I ain't writing the counterpoint for this one. Why is it that conservatives like to start off with Jeff Foxworthy knockoffs?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

:m:,
    Tiassa

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Voodoo Child Registered Senior Member

Well fuck, would it kill him?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Amie,

Nice list.

8. spacemanspiff czar of things Registered Senior Member

some one had waaaayy too much time on their hands

is scientifical even a word?

9. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

I'll pick on a few. I found most of them too twisted and would require long essays as responses.

The difference between rationality and irrationality seems important to me. This indicates that the Christian view does not see the distinction since it claims something that can't be proved and at the same time claims this to be rational.

Perhaps if the claims could be proved, then….

I prefer invisible flying green elephants. But then Christians spend vastly more time insisting on something equally fantastic.

I think it is now 15%, but whatever. This is argumentum ad numerum. The Christian reasoning would conclude that at one time the Earth was indeed flat since at one time not long ago nearly everyone on the planet believed the world was flat. Truth cannot be determined by a majority vote.

But computers etc. were not designed. They evolved just like everything else. If this were otherwise then why didn't cavemen design the modern computer, or why haven't we yet designed warp-drive technology?

All these things evolved from smaller simpler mechanisms and processes, and they in turn were the result of something simpler. Human involvement is nothing more than a catalyst similar to the way biological enzymes allow many biological processes to take place.

We have zero evidence of anything complex ever resulting from intelligent design.

I see no need to settle for either. I question the need to even consider an origin.

Basic misunderstanding of evolution.

Or more likely he is finally giving in to the obvious but he has still a long way to go.

Perhaps this had been mis-quoted but from my perspective most atheists seem to think that the chances of life forming without an intelligent creator are LARGE. Simply join the dots from evolution and the obvious result is abiogenesis.

But Christians never say that they don't know, that is the point. They think they KNOW but they can't prove how they know.

10. Amie Registered Senior Member

I think a lot of atheists do behave that way so I think many of those are legitimate criticisms...

Hi Cris
    what makes you draw this conclusion? I am genuinely curious and not trying to antagonize you whatsoever...

11. Xev Registered Senior Member

How nice of you to support this assertion.

Basically, it shows Christian hypocrisy at its best. They attack athiesm using faulty logic, yet when asked to support their beliefs, they fall back on the emotional muck of "faith".

12. Amie Registered Senior Member

Whats your problem? thats my opinion. I think they are legitimate criticisms, I would say the same thing about some christians when they take their views to ridiculous extremes.

oh and nice sig

13. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Hi Amie,

No problem and I rarely breathe fire these days.

There is no proof for the existence of God.

Most atheists will state that while they have no reason to believe in the existence of God they would agree that they don't know whether he exists or not.

A Christian, by definition, maintains a positive belief in the existence of God despite the lack of proof. Such a belief is equal to a claim that one knows that God exists. This must be true otherwise if the belief were absent then the person would not be a Christian but an atheist.

I.e. if you state you don't know then you can't maintain a belief that something is true.

14. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Amie,

Welcome to sciforums BTW.

15. Amie Registered Senior Member

Hi Cris you seem really nice

I understand what you are saying but believing in God and knowing God exists are very different. I don't see them as equal.

16. Binary Registered Senior Member

Hey Xev, both she and I maybe new in comparision to members like you, but I've been around long enough to atest to the truth of many of those statements. An the sad thing is it's not even really exagerated. Although it would seem generally that the atheist on this board are what some may consider logical, I have found that they can't even hold their own agianst their equally ignorant fundie theist brethern.

17. Xev Registered Senior Member

Amie:
    Yikes! Chill out!

Umm, just wanted some clarification. I mean, if you have a criticism of athiesm, it'd be interesting to hear it. Like, dude chill out?

Thanks! It was inspired by this great Coven song called "Boneless Christian":

"Down at the mission, the natives are restless
    Fed up with a diet of, force fed religion
    I know what they want and it's, no imposition
    Boneless Christian! Boneless Christian!"

18. Binary Registered Senior Member

There are atheist, and then there are agnostics. Agnostic I believe is what you might say of some one who professes as Cris.

19. Amie Registered Senior Member

If you wanted some clarification all you had to do was ask.
    I do not have criticism of atheism itself, people draw their own conclusions and have beliefs or lack of based on what they learn and what they feel is right for them. My belief is no superior to a nonbelief. Its just different and I respect the need for people to be true to themselves. My criticism is some atheists, unfortunately *many* who I have come in contact with behaving like the things listed in the fundie atheist link, like anything else there will always be people who take views to extremes. I have not had many positive experiences with atheists, I wish I could say otherwise.
    yes you said that. twice.

20. Amie Registered Senior Member

Hi Binary

Hi Binary
    I dont think anyone can actually "know" either way, it all comes down to believing/not believing. Although maybe this is simply a matter of semantics, I personally just see them as very differently. I believe in God, I have faith, I can't prove God to anyone but I would never say "I *know* God exists" maybe thats just me though...

21. Xev Registered Senior Member

Amie:
    Well I did. You got all hostile.

So since you can't criticize athiesm, you snipe at athiests? Can we say "ad hominem"?

Yeah, and it's good advice. Man, 2000 years of sexual repression makes you guys really cranky!

22. Amie Registered Senior Member

You never asked for clarification, not once. Here is your post.
    you claimed you asked for clarification, now where?

I am basing this on my experiences and I said so. Please show me any ad hominem you see.

I have no idea where you get these misguided views of yours regarding sexual repression.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2003
  23. Bridge Registered Senior Member

hehehe

I like these:

and

Hello, Nehusta? I know you're a pagan but are you reading this by chance?