Borg vs Dominion

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Truenemo1889, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Truenemo1889 Registered Senior Member

Who would possibly win ?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spacemanspiff czar of things Registered Senior Member

We are Borg!

I say Borg. the borg are unstopable. besides the Dominion are all brawns no brains. I think the klingons would have a decent chance taking them out. maybe not. I saw that ep. with worf fighting a dominion soldier and he lost.

what about species 8472(or whatever) from Voyager?

it doesn't matter, the crystanline entity will defeat all of them

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Who would possibly win ?

Whomever the Hollywood producers and writers decide.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Nightpoet Registered Senior Member

Writers? what? What universe are you living in?
    Its obviously the Borg.

Psh, writers...

8. Dana D It's all about balance Registered Senior Member

Ah. Q will snap his fingers and put them all in jars ... if he wants.

9. DCLXVI Bloody Bastard Registered Senior Member

Can the changelings be assimilated?

10. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

I would like to point this out... This is Borg vs Dominion... Not Q vs Dominion or Klingons vs Dominion, this is the BORG VS THE DOMINION! Please explain which one would win. Do not play the Q card, its old and warn out from all the StarWars vs StarTrek threads.

11. Nightpoet Registered Senior Member

That is a damn good question.

12. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

I believe so. The founders are liquid basically, and if a borg was to insert his little assimilation tubes into a pool of them, they would:

1. Die.
    2. Comply.

All the borg would probably have to do is put machine parts into them, make them more solid.

13. diskgrinder Registered Member

daleks would eat borg as a side salad before a main course of mechanoids

no contest, especially as Borg are a pale travesty of a shadow of cybermen.

14. Neutrino_Albatross Legion of Dynamic Discord Registered Senior Member

However the borg could escape by climbing the stairs.

15. thedude Registered Member

Close Call

Are we talking the Dominion Pre-War, Post-War, or Peri-War. If we are talking the Post War the Dominion loose. Pre-War I'd give it to the Borg by a hair, Peri-War the Dominion consisted of the Breen, Cardassians and the Sona. Breen energy dissipation weapons maybe ineffective, but Sona subspace weapons...well that might be a bit hard for Borg ships to handle. The primary issue I see is what happens when the Borg start assimilating Jem Hadar soldiers? Or if they assimilate a Jem'hadar cloning facility? Imagine that a factory churning out assimilated Jem'hadar. The founders may or may not be able to be assimilated, if they are then most likely it would be through Borg nanites taking control of them, if they are not, then the Borg would really have no problem dealing with them.

16. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

You know this is fiction? So the point is academic except as a character study, as villains I like the Borg better.
    Maybe it would be better to ask on a symbolic level what does the Borg represent and what does the Dominion represent?
    Basically you’ve got a authoritarianism Vs communism, the Founders as a reaction of their own xenophobia, seek to dominate and control all that are other then they are, the “Borg” want to make everyone the same as they are.
    Both these fictional villains have inherent weakness:
    The Dominion are acting out of fear, the very notion that they can mimic the form of others implies that their natural defense is concealment and deceit.
    The Borg are a collective, a hive mind, they can’t be creative they can only appropriate what others have, so they are in a sense predictable.
    Symbolically the Borg are the most altruistic, their aim is to achieve their notion of utopia, whereas the Dominion is only interested in its own dominance.
    Dominion/ Dominance you see the Freudian link? The “Borg”, which is a Swedish sounding name and Sweden is one of the most socialized countries in Europe.
    It has one of the highest suicide rates and apart from the natural beauty which is only accessible for a short time in summer is arguably one of the most boring places in the world to live.
    Yes Sweden is very Borg like.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  17. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

LLoL you guys are lame, did I scare you off with the last post?

I just used Trekie logic for my own evil enjoyment.
    The Swedes are actually Borg! LOL.
    :roflmao:

18. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Dominion and borg are roughly equally matched in terms of tenacity.

The dominion have the founders, who are masters at genetic manipulation and infiltration. The founders would, failing to kill them using brute force, infilitrate and gain an advantage.

19. rajrajmarley Registered Member

I'm not sure we're understanding what's going on here. We're talking about the Borg, a race truly bested by only one species...EVER. the argument can be made that voyager has faced the Borg before and won but the Borg weren't really doing their best. There was a scene where they noted that were they to simply transport 500 drones onto the ship with a crew of 150 that they wouldn't stand a chance. The same logic could be applied to a war with the dominion. It took Starfleet several months to adaptto their weapons, I'm more than confident that the Borg themselves will adapt within minutes. Also are we talking a single cube here? Because it is far more likely for the dominion to succeed against one cube than if the collective came after them with the same vigor as Species 8472. The dominion up against 100 cubes won't last a week. As was seen in First Contact, an entire Federation fleet against 1 cube managed to "damage" it after at least 3 hours of battle. The dominion may be a tougher target than the Federation (maybe), but the difference to the Borg I would estimate as the difference between a human vs. an ant and a human vs. a bee (no allergy, and you have a fly swatter). Also, I don't think the founders would be able to infiltrate the Borg the way they infiltrated other powers, they may be able to make themselves look like Borg but that's where it ends. The instant their spy tries to access some sensitive information through some abnormal (for the Borg) method, they'll be detected, assimilated (I concede, if that's possible) and that'll be the end of that.

20. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

The Dominion has tens of thousands of ships, are a relative match for Federation Counterparts, and have millions, if not billions of soldiers.

The Borg have millions of ships, have ships that often require hundred to one odds for Federation ships to win, and have trillions of drones.

The Dominion goes down hard. And if the Borg can't assimilate the Founders, they'll eradicate them. And unlike The Die is Cast, 150 Jem'Hadar attack ships is not going to save the day.

21. rajrajmarley Registered Member

100% agree.

22. superstring01 Moderator

Dominion. If the UFP could stand up to the Borg for so long, then the Dominion has them beat. Plus, there's no way to assimilate a Founder. I'm sure the Vorta and Jem'Hadar are equally immune to assimilation. We know that 7,500 ships were lost in the wormhole due to the W.H. Aliens, which were more shops than the entire combined allied fleets in the Alpha Quadrant at that time. Surely, there would have to be two or three times more to hold down the fort at home. So, realistically, it's the Borg Vs. 20,000 Dominion ships and the ability to produce them in massive numbers.

The only thing that allowed the UFP to win: The Worm Hole, its Aliens and Sysko. Were it not for them the entire Alpha Quadrant would be part of the Dominion.

~String

23. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Not really. The Dominion and the Federation are weapon wise, more or less on par. Size, the Dominion is suggested to be much larger and much faster in ship productions, easily troop numbers. But they don't have millions of ships. At most they're probably twice the size of the Federation, maybe three times if we want to go really far. And most of those are Jem'Hadar fighters.

Furthermore, the Federation has never withstood a full out Borg invasion. We've seen and been told about those; they come with hundreds of ships. They come in force. They don't seen one ship when they really want a species. It may seem like they want the Federation badly because that's what you expect of the main villian against the main hero, but really, they're nothing but lab mice to the Borg to be devoured at a later date.

Again, if the Borg can't assimilate a Founder, they'll eradicat them. Locutus said as much to Data when he pointed out the same thing about androids.

Not really no. Now, they will probably have a fairly high failure rate in assimilation because most Vorta and Jem'Hadar would and can commit quick suicide and would prefer to do so then turn on the Founders.

It most assuredly was not. The writers of DS9 considered that the Federation had about 30,000 starships for most of the war. Now, it was certainly a massive force, don't get me wrong. The first wave of Dominion ships was almost a third of the entire Federation fighting force. The the four powers (Klingons and Federation vs Dominion and the Cardassians) were roughly equally matched with the Dominion showing constant victories and often having the number advantage. Now imagine that the enemy suddenly gained another 1/6th of their entire fighting force in fifteen minutes and you'd see the problem that the Federation was facing.

Oh yes.

No, it'd be closer to 50,000 to 120,000 ships, most being Jem'Hadar fighters (not really fighters, more like patrol ships). Against 2,000,000+ Borg ships, most of which appear to be cubes.

It's not like the Federation has fought off hundreds of cubes. They've beaten two cubes on their own merits, on via a cheap shot and the second through a battle that probably lasted days (ie, it was on the edge of Federation space) and cost hundreds of ships (in the movie, the cube was destroying ships every few seconds and we see that ships don't ever last long against cubes).

The Dominion would be much harder to assimilate than the Federation, I'm not denying that. But if it ever came to all out war, The Dominion could literally ram every ship they have and they still wouldn't win.