Has science ever taken upon itself...

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Bridge, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Bridge Registered Senior Member

to determine or investigate the validity of the "ecilpse" that occured after Christ's crucifixion?

Pontius Pilate, it is recorded, wrote to the emperor Tiberius Caesar:

Many have noted that for a solar eclipse to occur at the time of a full moon is unreasonable (if not impossible)--afterall the crucifixion happened during the season of the Paschal full moon.

Is anyone aware of any studies or sources which would tend to confirm or deny the phenomenon surrounding the cruifixion eclipse?

Thanks, any feedback, positive or negative will be appreciated.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Voodoo Child Registered Senior Member

One would think that if astronomers did say that an eclipse was not possible, then the literal chrissies would say "See! That <i>proves</i> it was a miracle".

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bridge Registered Senior Member

The question

wasn't a search for a concession of a miracle, rather since it is apparent that it did happen as fact, recorded in history, not only by literal chrissies but by other sources as well, so how is it to be reconciled by what we now know about eclipses.

Possible conclusions:

A) The moon wasn't full
    B) The crucifixion date was incorrect
    C) Pontius Pilate was intoxicated
    D) other

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

What is that source?

If we have the writings of Pontius Pilate, why is this not offered up in the "proof of Christ" debate?
    The nature of the record, I suppose, is probably secondary. But still, I'd love to see a source on that for my own curiosity.

Now returning this topic to its primary vein.

thanx,
    Tiassa

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Bridge Registered Senior Member

Good point, Tiassa.

I've been doing a little research myself. As to the quote. Seems as though this record isn't a record of record, if you know what I mean. I apologize. I should've known better than to trust internet resources without references.

As for the eclipse itself, the only sources available seem to be the Biblical accounting and some connection to Julius Africanus' writings.

As best as I can figure, "Acta Pilati", or Pilate's Report to Tiberius, was recorded by the Roman historian, Valleus Paterculus. But the sources are sketchy at best, one can't be sure. Allegedly, it was discovered in the early 1850's in the Vatican Library in Rome by a German scholar named H. C. Whydaman? But as my research today on the topic indicates, this whole account seems to be a ruse, perhaps the good Reverend W.D.Mahan being just another "Liar for Jesus".

You can read something about it here:

http://www.answers.org/Bible/archko.html

I suppose going back to the question at hand, are you aware of ANY studies or sources which would tend to confirm or deny the phenomenon surrounding the cruifixion eclipse?

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Don't apologize

Don't apologize. There are natural events or phenomena in the Bible--an alleged history--at the time of Jesus' death. These can be investigated, as well, though if any evidence of them was found I'm sure we would have heard about it by now. I was seriously just curious if there was something we'd all overlooked in other debates.

And thank you very much for the additional info.

:m:,
    Tiassa