Thomas Jefferson, and the separation of Church and State

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by biblthmp, Feb 18, 2003.

1. biblthmp Registered Senior Member

Who here knows the origin of the statement, "The separation of Church and State?"

What document is it found in, what year what it written. Who was the original audience that it was written to?

Produce evidence to back up any claims.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jaxom Tau Zero Registered Senior Member

Quick search yields:

http://www.usconstitution.net/jeffwall.html

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

Need someone to do your research?

Here's another site, in fact the entire site is dedicated to the topic:

http://members.tripod.com/~candst/tnppage/qjeffson.htm

Here are a few quotes by Jefferson:

Jefferson, of course, was not the only one with this opinion. Here are some quotes by James Madison:

~Raithere

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

8. biblthmp Registered Senior Member

Re: Re: Thomas Jefferson, and the separation of Church and State

There is just one problem with this argument, Jefferson wrote this letter in January 1802. The Constitution was ratified in December 1791, over 10 years earlier.

Jefferson was in France, when the Constitution was written.

9. ConsequentAtheist Registered Senior Member

Therefore?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I'm sure you think you're clever, but why not simply present your position and defend it?

10. biblthmp Registered Senior Member

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. . . . Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." (John Adams, The Works of John Adams, Second President of the United States, Charles Francis Adams, editor (Boston: Little, Brown, and Co. 1854), Vol. IX, p. 229, October 11, 1798.)

11. Jaxom Tau Zero Registered Senior Member

No argument was stated. Just the fact that he wrote the original phrase, and it has been referred to many times since, as Raithere pointed out. That's precisely what you asked for.

Now, if you want to explore the ideas that the Constitution was written with a religous gov't in mind, then just state it...why play with words, trying to set traps? Was it, I don't think so, but we'll have to see what can be dug up. I'm sure it's been covered in the past, and I'm sure some of the founders were more religious than others.

12. LaoTzu Registered Senior Member

T.J. be da D.J. of da U.S.A.

Correct me if I'm wrong, which I'm not, but you asked for the origin of a phrase. You didn't ask for a watertight argument that the constitution of the U.S. explicitly laid out a secular government. Quoting erroneous dates does not rebuke anything said in this thread.

Peace, yo.

13. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

Cool, a quote tossing contest.

Of course, the primary consideration is:

But regarding Adams, in particular:

These last ones I, unfortunately, do not have the source for:

“Where do we find a precept in the Bible for Creeds, Confessions, Doctrines and Oaths, and whole carloads of trumpery that we find religion encumbered with in these days?”

“The Doctrine of the divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity.”

“...Thirteen governments [of the original states] thus founded on the natural authority of the people alone, without a pretence of miracle or mystery, and which are destined to spread over the northern part of that whole quarter of the globe, are a great point gained in favor of the rights of mankind.”

Touche!

~Raithere