Living up to Jesus standards, please help!

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Probability, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Probability Registered Member

Please help me, possibly I cannot live up to Jesus standards.

Thought of the following senario.

A man stabs me in the front right in the heart.

Now according to Jesus, I must turn "the other side", so that the man can stab me in the back too.

But I might faint or even die before I can live up to Jesus' requirements. So possibly I cannot live up to Jesus' hard requirements. What should I do?

I am being dead serious.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Probability Registered Member

one more thing

Some logic,

1. The Jewish Priests are experts on the Torah, and on the Jewish religion.

2. Experts in a field should be listened to.

3. The Jewish Priests deny that Jesus is Messiah, son of God.

4. Therefore one cannot use the Old Testament, which is based on the Torah, to support that Jesus is Messiah, son of God.

I guess somehow one has to choose side, either the Old Testament or the New Testament; either Jewism or Christianity, if one want to believe the Bible.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. New Life Registered Senior Member

Are you serious????? I"ve never heard such messed up philosophy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

when Jesus said 'turn the other cheek' He didnt necessarily mean to literally turn the other cheek........he meant you need to forgive the person and not retaliate out of anger or emotions like that.

as for choosing between old and new testament, thats just crazy!
    The old testament is basically a history book, it reveals some of the history of the world up until Jesus came on the scene......its not total in detail but it does give us some major events and structure of the history...........then the new testament is the biography of Jesus' life (Mathew, Mark, Luke, and John) and the rest are letters.......revelations is prophesy about what is to come!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Vienna Registered Senior Member

You sound troubled by this, so I'll try to answer you the best I can.

When I was a Christian I asked the Priest some very difficult questions about the Bible. He told me not to take the Bible too literally. He said use the Bible as a guide throughout your life.

When Jesus said "Turn the other cheek" he is saying turn away from revenge, turn away from evil, but by all means protect yourself.

BTW..... There are many Old Testament Bible prophecies that foretold and foreshadowed the life of Jesus Christ. The New Testament, which records the life and teachings of Jesus Christ, was written hundreds of years after the Old Testament had been written.
    So have a little think about it, and decide for yourself.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2003
  8. Vienna Registered Senior Member

It's OK. I'll try to explain another way.

If you are attacked, turn the cheek, turn away from revenge, turn away from evil, but protect yourself from all evil.

I don't understand the priests reasoning. What use are you as a Christian if you lay back and let evil destroy you. Protect yourself and others from evil. But turn away from evil thoughts and acts.

Ask another Priest for an opinion. Or ask the question on Christian forums, they will answer your question better than I can.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2003
  9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Have faith

Trust that if God had wished for you to complete the action of turning the other cheek, He would not have called you home right that second.

Always trust in God.

:m:,
    Tiassa

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Microzoft Registered Senior Member

If you ask me, kick that motherfucker in between his legs, after that go to church to confess, and tell God that you couldn’t give your other cheek otherwise you’ll have no more left for the next occasion in life. And believe me, look closely in the Bible and you’ll find events in which you should kick ass.

11. Jolly Rodger Banned Banned

i am quite amused by your post on asking what you should do if you gestabbed and your fear of not living up to what God wants
    Firstly lets say when jesus says "when someone hits you in you left cheek..............turn your head and let him hit you in the other cheek" he means dont bother seeking revenge, using your logic the next question you will be asking is "what if a female hits you because it says 'if a man hits you....' if it is a women will i have to turn the other cheek"
    If you can't open your mind to reading between the lines put the bible down and go buy a copy of wheres wally

12. Vienna Registered Senior Member

Re: Re: Living up to Jesus standards, please help!

Thats EXACTLY what I was trying to say, but I couldn't find the right words...nicely put.

13. Probability Registered Member

Seriously,

What kind of leader says something similar to this,

"If you do not believe in me, you will not escape your punishment."

Further, for a moment, just suppose there is more than myths to the Bible, and that there really is supposed to arrive Messiahs, to guide the world,

then was it not smart of Jesus to preemptively strike at all Messiahs after Jesus, by either saying that they all are

(a) Jesus returned

or

(b) Anti Christ.

When in fact neither may be true.

14. New Life Registered Senior Member

the kind of leader who cares about his followers and doesnt want anyone to suffer, so he warns them

15. qmakowski Registered Member

w
    I think jesus is one of those voodoo people who went village to village and convinced ppl to beleive in him, when actually its was a bunch of ancient street magic, but that's my guess... no one is jesus, and no one will be, so dont try to be perfect, just try to be good

16. New Life Registered Senior Member

No one can ever live up to Jesus' standards, they are above our capacity! Thats why when we ask for forgivness we also ask for God's help in being better people

17. Probability Registered Member

The big question is, is Jesus responsible for the conditions and thus informs about his own laws or are the conditions external to Jesus, and he somehow has knowledge of this and just informs.

Since Jesus dosn't state that he just informs of the dire conditions he is not responsible for, and since one can assume a responsible person would state this if the dire conditions are not a concequence of one's own, then one can assume that Jesus is responsible for the condition that "no escape of punishment for the one who does not believe in Jesus".

18. williamwbishop Registered Senior Member

Follow krishna, he is the original jesus. Why settle for a carbon copy?

19. biblthmp Registered Senior Member

Re: one more thing

The Jewish priests did not believe in a Messiah figure at all. The priests came from a group called the Sadducees, which only believed in the first 5 books of Moses, disregarding the other 34 books contained in the Hebrew Testament. There is some, but only very little mention of a messiah figure in these first 5 books. So the Sadducees chose not to believe in a Messiah, but then neither did they believe in angels, nor an afterlife. The Sadducees ministered in the Jerusalem Temple. The Sadducees were friends with Rome, and were the group that had Jesus put to death. THis group, was destroyed, with the destruction of the temple, in 70 AD.

You may have confused your terms, and have been speaking of the Rabbis, which were Pharisees. They did believe all 39 books of the Hebrew Testament were inspired. They did believe in angels, and the resurrection of the dead, as taught by the prophet Daniel. And some of them even believed in Jesus as the Messiah, they became Christians, and left the Pharisees. Which is why it was said that the Pharisees didn't believe, because those that did, left the group. Nicodemus, in John 3 was a Pharisee of the Sannhedrin. Joseph of Arimathea was also a Pharisee of the Sannhedrin. The Rabbis (Pharisees) ministered in the Synagogues.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2003
  20. Spirit_life Registered Member

Please understand the deeper meaning of what Jesus the Messiah says about giving the other cheek, etc. It is a message of toleration and forgiveness. You must not through yourself at them, Jesus didnt through himself at satan did He? Instaed He challenged evil by submitting himself to hell and saving the souls that couldnt get past the Gates. The concept of Jesus's teachings are internal, within the Human Being, NOT outside. So grace be with you and look after yourself; if anything if you are doing god's mission and the action taken is unlawful in the 'eyes of God', then by forgiving them and not forgetting the experience, you will send judgement upon them; not yours but the judgement of the Holy Spirit.