UFO sighted over Portsmouth

Discussion in 'UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters' started by Magical Realist, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Might be a rift in space-time.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Or a cloud.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

"It’s baffled several people, including Johnny Blackwell, 23, of Trevor Road, Southsea. He said: ‘I don’t believe in UFOs, but when I saw this I didn’t know what it was.

‘It didn’t look like a cloud, and it was moving very fast.

‘It was a grey, disc-like shape, which I know sounds like a stereotypical UFO, but that’s what it looked like.

‘I don’t know much about military craft, but this was very fast-moving and very odd to see.’

Johnny, a student, said he saw the object at about 7pm on Tuesday.

And Lewis Rogers, 26, of The Seagulls, Lee-on-the-Solent, saw the object when he was visiting a friend in North End.

The animation director said: ‘My initial thought was it was an aeroplane, but it was just moving too quickly.

‘I was the only one that saw it but was quick enough to take the picture.

‘I definitely believe in UFOs and am very interested in science fiction, and often look up at the sky in the evening wondering if there is anything or anyone else out there.’

Some people on Twitter said the UFO is a cloud, but weather experts have dismissed this.

Laura Young, from the Met Office, said: ‘After looking at the images, I can say the object is nothing to do with the weather. It is not meteorological and is not a cloud.’

8. zgmc Registered Senior Member

Its hard to tell anything from the one picture. Where are the rest? Is there a video?

9. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

It's a lenticular cloud.
    Common in some places, but probably not in Portsmouth.

10. zgmc Registered Senior Member

Laura Young disagrees with you.

11. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

In a single frame, this neatly and wittily puts a very large nail in the coffin of UFO sightings and most other Earthly mysteries.

http://xkcd.com/1235/

To sum: in a world where there are more than a billion cameras* in easy reach of more than a billion picture-takers, day and night - there is no excuse for these myths to not have long been dragged, kicking and screaming from their dark shadows of mystery, into the full light of public scrutiny.

Full stop.

*http://www.betakit.com/number-of-cell-phone-plans-expected-to-surpass-worlds-population-in-early-2014/

12. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

She's just the press officer... not sure she has any formal qualifications to support her view, though. So would be interesting to see on what basis she supports her claim. Certainly wouldn't take her view at face value.

13. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Since it isn't moving at all I'd think it is a oil platform or a ship of some sort but never would I think it is a UFO.

15. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

16. zgmc Registered Senior Member

I would like to know also. My first thought was, its just a cloud. if it were anything more, where is the video?

COuld it be an insect flying closr to the camera as the picture was taken?

17. zgmc Registered Senior Member

LOok at the comments on youtube. Someone mentioned that they use lights to draw in squid while fishing for them. Its just a reflection from those lights.

18. river

videos will always be the weakness of the existence of UFO's , they can be faked , especially now a days or misunderstood

it could be , not be or perhaps

the real evidence is based on witnesses

19. zgmc Registered Senior Member

20. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I guess that means history and the news is a bunch of bunk then because it relies almost entirely on eyewitness accounts..

21. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. That's the difference between news and UFO sightings.

22. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

False because false.

23. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

A person who sees a ufo in the sky isn't claiming anything. They're simply saying they saw an unindentified flying object. There's nothing extraordinary about that at all. Happens all the time..

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014