The Absolute and The Upanishads

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Spellbound, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Spellbound Banned Valued Senior Member

In eastern philosophy the Absolute is known as Parabrahman and to occult philosophy is known as the Void or Ever-Darkness. According to I. K. Taimni both the Vedas and the Upanishads contain indirect hints to an Ultimate Reality an unknowable principle. Taimni describes the Parabrahman as unknowable by the human mind and unthinkable but the highest object of realization and the most profound object of philosophical enquiry.[43] Taimni wrote that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_(philosophy)

The above excerpt from Wikipedia claims that there is an unknowable Absolute Reality or Void that is the source and cause of all things. You may also be familiar with the term Ein Sof to refer to it. What I found in the Wiki entry is the word "ineffable" to describe it because it is in essence, beyond words. I believe that the recent discovery of the Higgs field gives evidence of something that exists which few have experienced let alone are able to describe because it is invisible and non-relative. However, be that as it may, as we have failed to describe it thus far, it is real and therefore it is subject to some kind of a description. Since reality itself is subject to description.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Spellbound Banned Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Is there a point being made here?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Spellbound Banned Valued Senior Member

I started this thread to discuss the experience and personal accounts of The Absolute and to trace back in History the descriptions of people who have also experienced it to see if the accounts tally up as evidence of its reality. In other words, to provide evidence for its existence.

8. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

The plural of anecdote is not "data".

9. Spellbound Banned Valued Senior Member

Haa haaa very funny.

10. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“The little space within the heart is as great as the vast universe.
    The heavens and the earth are there, and the sun and the moon and the stars. Fire and lightening and winds are there, and all that now is and all that is not.”

― Swami Prabhavananda, The Upanishads: Breath from the Eternal

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. rcscwc Registered Senior Member

That Wiki article about the Absolute in Hinduism is useless and pointless.

In Hinduism the Absolute is unknown and unknowable, as it has NO attributes. It just cannot be defined except in the negative, even that too partially. List an attribute like cruel, kind, hot, cold any color, gender etc. It IS NOT THAT. It is neither males, nor female nor both nor neither. So He is a misnomer in this case.

This Parbrahamm that is sung about daily by Hindus.

Spinoza comes close.

12. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

Nice picture. Very poetic. Seed for a song.

And all of this is, because you say it is?
    Does a thing become more believable because of its poetry?

We all want to believe in the pretty.
    This is how cats get away with destroying every life form on earth smaller than they are.

13. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Yep..pretty much. Which is why there is no deep poetic prose based on cats destroying smaller lifeforms.

Unless you're a nihilist who wants to believe in the banal and mundane. How's that working out for you?

14. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

And you're ok with that. No question mark required.
    Pretty is superior. Got it. I already knew what you were, no need to reinforce.

I'd imagine it's working out much the same for me as it is for you. I'm still alive, you're still alive.

The only odd thing is that you equate nihilism with the banal and mundane.
    How terribly limiting that must be for you.

15. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Oh really? "What" am I oh all-knowing one?

I'm not a nihilist so I wouldn't know...

16. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

Apparently, a "Cosmopolitan" editor.
    They work under the same kind of principle. If its pretty, its defensible.
    And marketable.

Your willingness to understand a different point of view is only skin deep. I know that. No need to reiterate.
    Perhaps I should write a poem about it.

17. Spellbound Banned Valued Senior Member

The universe is indeed vast. That space must be vast as well. Beautiful.

18. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

No..I don't edit magazines. Care to take a another stab?

Why should I be obligated to understand you? Are you projecting absolute morals onto your vast meaningless universe now? Tsk tsk..

19. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

It wasn't a stab, it was a moral comparison.

And I don't believe you should be obligated to understand me. My "vast meaningless universe" has a tendency to look after itself.

20. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Moral comparisons in an amoral universe? How does that work?

How "zen"! Turns out we're on the same page after all.

21. Spellbound Banned Valued Senior Member

So, all people can be divided into three categories: the intermediate group of "materialists", demoniac people, and people who seek spiritual Perfection, i.e. Union with God. For the latter group, the main component of spiritual self-realization should consist in development of the spiritual heart — the energy of the anahata chakra (see [7,9]). An optimal achievement for them is Mergence (as consciousness, or buddhi) with the Higher Purusha or even Entering the Abode of the Creator and Mergence with Him there. One must learn to live in these states during one’s life in the physical body. Those who succeeded in this acquire the ability to control matter, as it was demonstrated by Jesus Christ, Babaji and Others [11,14]; today it is demonstrated by David Copperfield and Sathya Sai Baba.

http://ebooks.gutenberg.us/Swami_Center/en/text/New_Upanishad.pdf

People are divided into three groups: Intermediate (materialists), evil (demonaic) and finally spiritual (seekers and practitioners, as well as those who achieve union with God).

22. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Again, I have to ask, what is the purpose with this post? You have merely quoted and then summarised the quote.
    Is it answering a question raised? If so, which?
    Is it countering someone else's position? If so, which?
    It seems you are just making any excuse to preach, in one guise or another.

23. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

My "we're the chosen minority" alarm went off on that. That's the delusional mindset of religion: WE'RE God's special children and everyone else is lost. That's a load of crap. It may make you feel good to believe that, but for all the wrong reasons. Everyone has their own unique path.