Annoying typing problem

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Magical Realist, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I periodically experience a typing problem when I'm typing posts. Suddenly out of nowhere the cursor moves to replace the following space with its letter. I don't know what causes this nor do I know how to stop it. It is annoying because every edit I do on a post ends up deleting all the following words/spaces. I basically have to re-type the whole post. Any ideas about what this is or how to correct it?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Apologies - can you clarify what the issue is... not sure I can picture what you mean by "replace the following space with its letter", unless you mean perhaps you have pressed the "insert" key? But I'm sure it's not that simple so please can you clarify? Thanks.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I think that must be it

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I checked that "insert" key and it didn't seem to replicate the problem. Little did I know there is a key right beside it (F12) that shuts off access to the internet! It goes orange when you hit it and I've been trying to get back on for the past hour. Why on earth would they have a key like that?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  8. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Correction! It IS the insert key. Apparently I sometimes hit this key by accident when I hit backspace and that does it. Thank you both so much for this help. This has irritated me for a long time.

9. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I get a lot of raised eyebrows at my office because, every keyboard I use, I tear off the INS key as well as the CAPS key.

Those two keys are WORSE than useless.

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

That's your wifi button. Mine is located to the right of F12 though. There's a little picture of a radio tower on it.
    I imagine that turning off wifi will conserve your battery power when you're not plugged in (obviously only useful when you're working off-line anyway).

11. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I would second this, and quickly say F11 is right up there (why did my browser's menus go away? How do I move!!!!) as well as the touchpad disable keys (MY MOUSE STOPPED WORKING ON MY LAPTOP, IT HELP ME!)

12. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

My brother has been ripping the Caps Lock keys off his keyboards ever since the Commodore 64 days. I'm less hardware-oriented than he is so I just curse and swear at the problem (it just did it again, GOD DAMN IT!) - which is not as effective but almost as satisfying. The Insert key is less of a problem because it changes the cursor.

I have also had a problem with my laptop (Vista) which I have never had with my other machines (XP, Win98): something - I think it's Ctrl+K - causes quotation marks and other useful characters to be replced by gibberish. Ctrl+K brings it back, anyway, but I have to duplicate the tab to avoid losing what I'm trying to post. If there was a way of disabling that @#$%ing "feature" until the end of the universe, it would be a good day.

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Are you sure it's not just your keybord language setting?

14. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Colud be, but I have no idea how to change it.

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

16. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

17. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

What is the key labeled "prt sc" for? I pushed it and nothing seemed to happen.

18. Enmos Valued Senior Member

It makes a snapshot of your computer screen. Go to Photoshop (or whatever program you use) and 'paste'.

Example:

19. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Print Screen.
    You have to press Alt at the same time.
    It used to print whatever was on the screen.

20. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Back in the old days, we used to think printing the screen was cutting edge.
    People would be visibly impressed.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014