Atheists and the soul

Discussion in 'Religion' started by DaveC426913, Sep 11, 2014.

?

Do you sign?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No.

10 vote(s)
    66.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I'm an atheist, but many of my friends and loved ones are not, so I have developed a respect for people and viewpoints that are not my own. Just setting the stage, so you know where I stand and don't have to second-guess any agenda I may have.

I listen to a 70's station a lot, and they play the song 'The Devil Went Down to Georgia', where Johnny bets his soul. It got me thinking.

I do not have a soul. No one does. But do I have the courage of my convictions that I would willingly sign it away, knowing it's an empty contract, written by a fool?

I posit a scenario:

You spend an evening with your friends with good wine and good food, talking about all sorts of philosophical things. You get into an animated discussion with them about the notion of God and souls and you find yourself vehemently and confidently defending your assertions against an onslaught of pro-god arguments (whether they are sincere or merely Devil's Advocate arguments is a matter of how well you know your friends).

As the night wears on, eventually discussion peters out. Your friends all drift off home or to sleep, leaving you with just one close friend. He re-opens the discussion, oddly mischievously, like he's a whole different person than you knew. With a twinkle in his eye, he asks how strong your beliefs really are and, out of his smoking jacket, pulls a scroll and puts it in front of you to read. In a nutshell, it says he will give you riches beyond your wildest dreams of avarice if you simply sign on the dotted line in your own blood. The catch of course, is that the Devil will "take your eternal soul" when you die.

Now, nothing supernatural has actually occurred. I could very well pull that whole thing off as a lark at the upcoming Hallowe'en party. What I'm saying is: this is not a surreal or hypothetical scenario, it could certainly happen, just as I say.

You know he is full of it. He's not the Devil, since the Devil does not exist, and you have no soul, so there's no harm in signing the contract, since there's no such thing as a soul. The only thing he is really asking of you is to demonstrate how strongly you stand behind your belief that you have no such thing as a soul. He gives you a (sterile) sharp to prick your finger and a quill to write with.

Do you sign?

(I've deliberately only provided only yes/no options - no waffling. Quibble as long as you want, get all the answers you need. When all is said and done, do you sign, or do you walk?)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Have done.
    At least twice so far as I remember.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

If the riches was money an it was guaranteed i woud sign... an wit that money i coud do more good than any "God" ive ever herd of.!!!

Edit:::

I just now voted "yes" in the poll.!!!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Done what? Signed a contract in your own blood, that gives away your soul?

8. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

So, both of you voted yes in the poll?

9. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Yes.
    I have voted now.
    I didn't see the poll when I replied.

10. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

I saw the poll while ago an voated.!!!

So how about you... woud you sign.???

11. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

If I had the answer to that, I wouldn't be asking all of you!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I can't be sure I wouldn't hesitate.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I'm an atheist, but I would not sign, it's not ethical to take riches from someone for promising something you don't have.

13. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Whats a reason you thank you might hesitate.???

14. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Oh, my mistake.
    I didn't notice the bit about "riches".
    I signed mine over for a cigarette if I remember correctly.

15. river

Absolutely not

Somewhere along the line you loose your freedom

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I would do it for a j.

17. Photizo Ambassador/Envoy Valued Senior Member

"For what will a man give in exchange for his soul?

"I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak."

18. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Yeah.
    Thank you for your input.
    "People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day".

19. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

An then what.???

20. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Presumably the IRS sends the paper work back saying there's an error in the account.

21. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Mayb this answrs my prevous queston::: "An then what.???"

I checked my bank balance an noticed that the State had deducted 2 estimated tax payments insted of 1... i emailed 'em an they said they had only recieved 1 payment... but i shoud fax a copy of my bank statment to 'em an they will look into it an get back wit me wit-in 45 days.!!!

My bank says the State requested 2 payments an that they received 2 payments.!!!

If ther records dont show that they received 2 payments... why woud they accept my bank statment as proof that they actualy did receive 2 payments.???

Mayb its preemptive punishment from God for careless thangs ive said

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

How so?

23. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

The acknowledgement that, while I believe that souls don't exist, I have no evidence to support my belief. (Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.)

The cost of being wrong is about as high as it is possible to be. (I don't expect to be wrong, but that does not change the validity of that statement.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.