Scientists make breakthrough in telepathy

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Manifold1, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Manifold1 Banned Banned

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bells Staff Member

If you listen to the interview of the scientists who did it, it wasn't telepathy, but using technology (ie computers) to transmit what he was seeing and the receiving end would perceive light from what they were receiving via the headsets through the internet.

And as far as they were concerned, this was the use of technology and not mental telepathy. For some reason the media has latched onto "telepathy" and run with it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Though the alternatives will probably continue to elude the pop-media, techlepathy is one term for distinguishing an artificial version from traditional telepathy beliefs. Suggested in 2004 by transhumanist writer George Dvorsky. The original Better Humans article is long gone.

8. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

My laptop is an example of techlepathy. It is the technological encoding and transmission of my thoughts to other minds across spacetime without me even being present to them. We live in interesting times, no?

9. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

I'm not sure your laptop is a particularly good example, to be honest... unless you think that writing on paper and passing something across to someone is an example of telepathy? Or merely speaking your thoughts to someone is telepathy?

Techlepathy is, as I understand it, more about direct transmission of thought, not indirect through laptops / writing that require your other senses (touch, sight, sound etc).
    If the encoder and transmitter/receiver could be hardwired into the brain, and interpreted accurately, with no need to speak, write, type your thoughts, then you would have techlepathy.

10. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

The subject isn't anything new, the only reason these ones come to light is they are done by civilians on small budgets compared to the ones you won't probably hear about for at least another 30 years (National Security Acts etc) by which time everybody will be using the technology anyway. The problem is the experiments you haven't heard about aren't conducted in the same like as true science experiments.

If a University or research group conducts such research they are bound by the knowledge that if they conduct the experiments wrongfully that their results, no matter how clearly presented will be blacklisted like Nazi research papers were due to how the experiments are conducted. In fact they have to be above board for most of it so they can even gain the initial funding from whatever science council or institute they get their grants from.

Militaries on the other hand have the largest of budgets and the only laws they are suppose to deal with are those of the Geneva Convention and the Nuremberg Code. Unfortunately due to their level of "secrecy" this means that if you don't know about it, how do you know they are following both the Geneva Convention or the Nuremberg Code when they do redacted experimentation?

Incidentally that line of questioning is rhetorical for me, since I already know of experiments that have blown the one mentioned by the tabloids out of the water (and they make the phone hacking scandal look tame).

11. leopold Valued Senior Member

if we make the assumption that brainwaves is the manifestation of the brains activity, thoughts, ideas, etc, then it's a very real possibility that machine assisted "telepathy" will become a reality.

12. exchemist Valued Senior Member

If this ever were possible, it seems to me one of the biggest problems would be how people could learn to censor their thoughts, so as to pass on telepathically only the messages they intend others to receive. It would be socially catastrophic if everything you really think were passed on to others. The technology could never take off until this obstacle was surmounted - effectively meaning that humans would have to have developed a literal sixth sense, under conscious control.

13. leopold Valued Senior Member

welp, get ready for it, because this "machine" is already under development.
    they now have devices that can control computers through a "mind interface"
    the technology is in its infancy, it's hard telling where it will go.
    the ability to "think things into existence" becomes very real.

14. exchemist Valued Senior Member

No, I'm not getting ready for it. But I might tell my son to warn any children he has.

15. Manifold1 Banned Banned

That is exactly how I interpret it.

it will be difficult understanding more complex information and information processing, but ultimately, this will lead to what I call, the ''mind net.''

16. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Hardly. BCI methodology is about an active system of producing an input and calibrating to the result.

For instance if someone was to say "Orange" then you are going to have brain patterns of the understanding of the word being said in some areas of the brain, while other areas might deviate to thinking of the colour or fruit. It's just then about interpreting how those patterns are formed, which ones are the ones that represent the word in regards to it's sound rather than the noise of understanding what (an) orange actually is.

This is one of the main points about people that "Hear voices in their head" might very well be hearing an auditory output to map their brain patterns. Since the auditory input is going to be know by the people inputting it, the reaction of a persons physiology can then be mapped in response to that.

For instance if a voice tells someone to "Behead a child", there are a number of potential reactions a person can have;

The most noticeable one is Revulsion (feeling disgusted at the input or idea), repeated expression of that intention could cause a person to become ill over a prolonged period.
    Alternatively there are then those types of people that might see that voice as being instructional enough to make them want to commit such an atrocity (The concern here isn't just the Psychopathy involved, but the fact that they can easily be deluded into committing such an act).

Why a group would do this, well it could be a remote way of testing for psychosis or undermining the Jungian Mask that Sociopath's otherwise hide behind. After all most people are "True to themselves" even if they lie to everyone else.

17. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Unfortunately it developmentally seems that way somewhere down the road ("unfortunate" as far as the extinction or near-extinction of original humankind occurring). Those born into the most pervasive era of the group-ego won't have to worry about protecting their thoughts since they'll never have had the opportunity to be "mentally alone" to start with -- to experience such privacy and fully develop into a distinct, individual mind.

As long as traditional monopsychic humans still have significant numbers, there will be measures to safeguard and limit the intrusion / expansion of techlepathy into a brain's thought processes. But eventually there will be a dominating generation of transhumans so accustomed to being "integrated" with each other and subsumed by their emergent, collective intellect, that these polypsychic superorganisms will view the lingering monopsychics as hopelessly obsolete and conservative trend-wise. Like the Millennials' condescending evaluation of computer-phobic or computer-challenged seniors.

The quirky element in the mix will be the influence / draw of completely non-biotic artilects and their robot drones / surrogates; perhaps becoming more preferable than still clinging to cyborg-hood. Never underestimate how freakish and weird new generations are willing to become (a lot of pre-modern and pre-Abrahamic cultures were kind of that morphically openminded, anyway, if they had possessed greater / less superficial means to accomplish their transformations).

18. Manifold1 Banned Banned

A psychopath, let alone even a sociopath, can be good willed.

A psychopath can be just as good willed as they can be bad.

19. bearer_of_truth Registered Senior Member

The only mental telepathy that exist is through a spirit medium - a person's thoughts are echoed by a spirit and another person hearing the same spirit hears the same thoughts echoed. There is no other forms of mental telepathy in this world.

20. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Nope.
    A more correct term for "spirit medium" would be either "fraud" or deluded person".
    Mental telepathy doesn't exist.

21. bearer_of_truth Registered Senior Member

The wise man knows the truth.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

In which case you're either not wise or deliberately posting nonsense.

23. bearer_of_truth Registered Senior Member

Shortly, I should be posting a thread with photographs of the Holy Spirit and you shall see the truth.