where the * is it?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by NMSquirrel, Sep 4, 2014.

1. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

I must be seriously paraphrasing a couple verses in the bible, because whenever I look I can't find them..

'Test all things and hold on to what is good'
    and
    "moderation in all things"

can someone help me find them?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

1 Thessalonians 5:21

Not a Biblical quote: here gives variations (and who said it), here gives the closest the Bible gets.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

YES! thank you..

ive seen that page, i'm not ready to believe that, I swear I read it, maybe I read that into a verse or chapter or pulled it, dunno..
    I know very seriously believe I read it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wellwisher Banned Banned

In other words moderation is good in all things (lawful) even things that may not be helpful to you; candy or booze. But when anything begins to enslave you; addiction, compulsion, gluttony, etc., then one crosses the line.

At the time, there were social taboos with respect to foods and drink. The New Testament says all things are lawful, as long as you don't let yourself become enslaved to anything. It also said it is not what enters the mouth that defiles the man, but what comes out of the mouth. That defiles the man. Moderation was considered better that being the nagging food police who like to control others with nagging self righteousness.

If you give up something completely, like coffee, many people become upset at those who still do it because they may feel tempted and need reassurance through conversion.. Instead of eating some (input) they begin to output from the mouth knit picking nagging. But if they could learn to moderate, below the threshold of addiction, they can empathize and the nagging stops. Moderation in all things, even things which may not edify or be healthy, helps prevent self righteous nagging. This is better for your fellow man. You may take a slight health hit trying all, but by doing so you protect others from your nagging self. It was quite wise.

8. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Good is not always lawful and lawful isn't always good.
    There's no need to conflate the two.

9. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

that sounds close enough to count, thank you wellwisher.

dwy:
    yes, I agree, just because its law doesn't make it right, and just because its right doesn't mean it should be a law.

10. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

someone else found this that I think is the one:

11. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

uf, really? is my memory that bad?

12. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Isn't a Bible verse. It's a quote by Petronius. Though it also was a common thought in Hellenic and Hellenistic philosophy.