Wikipedia editors questions....

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by alexb123, Aug 31, 2014.

1. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

Hi All.

I was at Wiki-mania conference the other day and someone mentioned the a motto that is menat to be adhered to by the page editors. It something like "Everyone has good intent". It basically a way of diffusing disputes that everyone has the same good intention.

Does anyone know what it actually is?

Thanks

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I think that's known informally as "a lie". Not everyone has good intent, which is a lesson I'm learning.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

From the talk it sounded like they could be savage bunch. I think the motto is more something to aspire to, its sounded impacting. Just wish I could remember what it was

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

The road to hell is paved with good intentions?

8. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

And good people.

9. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

That's why it's such a bumpy road.

10. danshawen Valued Senior Member

Amen to that.

It's the old "good" vs "evil" issue again.

If Godric teaches us nothing else, it is that a world full of healthy, attractive, well nourished people with no conflicts (because they all think perfectly alike) and plenty of resources to stay that way indefinitely (because they also conquered the world) might be good from the perspective of their visionary leader, but that can't happen without a lot of suffering by non-conformist folk who would spoil the balance of that perfect world by having problems like ingrown toenails.

Wikipedia, like any other encyclopedia is simply the worlds most augmented circular reference. As such, it does have a need to accommodate different points of view. This much non-conformity is "good".

Metapedia wouldn't even need to be there unless they got something wrong, would it? Another joke that's going to be at our expense, I'm afraid. Too little non-conformity is "evil". I think must they ban Metapedia editorship from the entire state of Israel, for starters. It's really easy to tell the difference, isn't it?

Bumpy road, eh?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  11. lpetrich Registered Senior Member

Here is the policy: Wikipedia:Assume good faith - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

12. notanumber Registered Member

.. that *most editors* have *different* good intentions.

The meme fixes your annoyance at the ones you don't understand (yet).

13. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

Ipe thank you. I did search wiki and posted there but still couldn't find this. Very grateful

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!