SciForums very slow

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Jennifer Murphy, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Jennifer Murphy Registered Senior Member

Was something wrong with the forum last night (about midnight California time)? I tried to post a reply and it got stuck "Waiting for SciForums" for about 15-20 minutes. I eventually gave up and finished it this morning.

If the problem is the server and/or the costs of maintaining the board, has anyone considered offering some sort of "premium" (ie, paid) memberships? I would be happy to donate at least $25/year to make this board better.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I've found that my server was slow on a few occasions and that the server on the other end was slow on other occasions. Don't always blame the site for slow logins although it does happen but rarely.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Jennifer Murphy Registered Senior Member

I wasn't blaming anyone. I was offering to help. But thanks for the lecture.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Indexing

Around that time, the sever is supposedly indexing; interestingly, it is my belief that the clock by which this process occurs does not adjust with the seasons, so when we went on DST the indexing occurred an hour earlier, which might be why more people are noticing it.

It's like those occasions when your computer is working, running slow, and your hard drive just won't stop spinning and sounding data. Actually, a funny aspect is that the allegedly bulletproof Linux systems will occasionally overflow when indexing, which hasn't anything to do with you unless you happen to be a Linux user, but it's always annoying when it takes thirty seconds to launch the System Monitor, and then you find out one of the least-useful indexes on your computer is cascading to critical mass and occupying "100%" of even a multicore CPU. Then again, you can also kill the runaway index once you can see it in the SysMon, and without exploding the rest of the shell, so ... right. I digress.

At any rate, I did ask a while back, and yes, it's that the database is apparently running one or another indexing process. Can't give you the exact period, since it varies according to all the relevant factors, but there does come a time between approximately midnight and two, Pacific Time, when I expect the server won't be there, and it was only this year that I figured out the starting time does jump by staying put, with DST.