Work Breaks

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Satissed, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Satissed Registered Member

Hey,

Where/how do you guys find breaks at work? I don't smoke, so cigarette breaks aren't in the question. But why shouldn't I take a 5-10 minute break? I can only imagine it is healthy for the mind and body to stop working for a short period of time during the day. I work in an office sitting in front of a computer most of the day.

I find myself sitting back in my chair for a few minutes at a time, taking a minute to do deep breathing and clearing my mind.

Earlier, I entertained the thought of taking a bathroom break, just to get a few minutes of uninterrupted time to myself. I'm pretty sure no one would bother me if they thought I was taking a dump.

Google "Einstein, Dali Power Nap" - I've tried that but feel strange doing it in the office, even if it was on par with a 5 minute cig break outside.

- B

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Don't you have friends at work? Take a coffee break with your collegues, talk about stuff etc. Perhaps you'll make a new friend or two.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

My managers encourage us to take frequent breaks, at least 15 minutes per hour. I usually go for a walk or get a beverage. It's illegal in the US to forbid you from taking two 15 minute breaks a day for full time workers. And of course, I'm on Sciforums in between breaks.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Since I was always in a truck doing my plumbing/electrical work I just would take a break between jobs, no one is going to know but me.

8. Satissed Registered Member

Didn't know the legality of work breaks, spidergoat. I've read something similar about overtime pay for salaried professionals, that it is not a requirement for employers to pay salaried workers overtime (in MS). It might be a state-by-state thing though. Is the 15-minute break thing state-by-state?

From Nolo:

9. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

In addition to state laws, there are also union-negotiated breaks. When I was in the union, we received two rest breaks a day - one in the morning and another in the afternoon. There was also a hour for lunch and the ability to go to the bathroom simply whenever needed.