Does the moderator list need updating?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Magical Realist, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

There are moderators on that list that I've not even seen here. How could they possibly be moderating anything? Do we need some new moderators? I elect Yazata! Surely the most sensible poster in this group...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Balerion Banned Banned

Careful what you ask for, MR. We all wanted Syne gone, amd we were left with Kitta. How's that workimg out?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

On a more serious note (ergo, ignoring Balerion) - as far as I am aware, they are all still mods... though some of them do not frequent the site very often (or at all).

I will see if we can't get the listing updated and make sure it's accurate - I think the SuperMods can do that? Or maybe it has to be an admin - not sure to be honest.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

The ban craze has eased up of late thankfully. I think the mods are behaving themselves. Perhaps feedback threads really work.

8. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

To be clear... i wasnt hell-bent on gettin rid of Syne so i dont accept any of the blame for Kitt.!!!

9. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Yeah Yazata coud be a grate mod wit a grate Super Mod like Stryder... especialy sinse ther common-sinse ideas about improvin Sciforums alredy closely aline.!!!

10. Balerion Banned Banned

Doubtful, as evidenced by the clownish post by a self-proclaimed "authority" above.

It's just a matter of time before those inadquecies he's compensating for become a burden to the site again.

11. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Much anger... such transference. It's amazing, Balerion, just how single-minded you really are... you only care about your whims and desires, not what is "truly best" for the forum. It's beyond pathetic. It's beyond sad. You proclaim to love this place, yet you throw a fit and stamp your feet at every perceived slight... what should we think of you, Balerion... Hm? It is like dealing with a young child, who has yet to learn that "no means no"... you throw a tantrum expecting the rest of the forum to cave in, and when we don't, you get angry, stamp your feet, and hold your breath.

You asked at one time "What is so fucking difficult" about making changes in this forum... this, exactly this, is what is difficult. If every little whim of every single person on this forum was implemented immediately... where do you think we, as a community, would be? What focus would we have?

I'm not claiming things are great now... but there was a time, not that long ago, when so much as questioning the actions of the moderation/administration would result in you being permanently dismissed. There was a time where even the most minor of infractions would see you infracted and quite possibly dismissed.

Complain all you want Balerion... but I'm sure if you dig through your mental archives you will come to the realization that things have improved tremendously in that respect. The big failing right now is a lack of actual discussion.

As for any "inadequacies" I may have, in my personal opinion, my biggest failing is that I have not been able to pursue a career in bio-nano technology... though I dare say they would be none of your business either way.

Now, shall we further railroad this thread off topic with your apparent hatred of me (and the moderation team in general), or shall we leave that where it belongs (in your head)?

12. Balerion Banned Banned

Case in point...

I mean seriously, how diluted does one need to be not to realize that they are the problem? To wonder aloud at the lack of discussion without any understanding that it's precisely the institution that they so desperately cling to with pathetic zeal that has driven away all the interesting posters? Magical Realist has become the top poster on this site. Congrats, Kitt. I hope self-stroking your egos was worth it.

13. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Without being specific as to the precise problem moderators and their cheerleaders, this is essentially so.

I was never really a believer in "confidence" until quite recently. I always felt, naively, that people generally did the right thing, barring any specific reason to expect the contrary.

What I'm finding from some of the interactions on here is that that just isn't so. A weak mind, for example, can be handily directed by those from whom that mind seeks approbation on basis of status or history, or whatever history - febrile or feeble - that exists.

I think that the entire concept of watching the watchmen is fraught with great complexity. Clearly, those in the position of being examined by those whom they are meant to regulate themselves may find themselves bewildered and affronted or actually turn completely hostile. It's a frightening thing when the natural perception of order appears to be reversed: but only for the relatively unintrospective. There are a host of moderators on this site who are not afraid of any such examination and it shows in their maturity and evenhandedness. No one is arguing that the baby should be thrown out with the bathwater, but it seems very likely that unjustified behaviours on SF have been restrained at least in spirit by the existence of such feedback threads. I don't know who started them, but whoever it was deserves a medal.

Anyway, that's all for now, as I have to draw an Angry Bird on a cake.

14. billvon Valued Senior Member

Pretty good so far. He's much better than Syne, and better than a few other mods with, shall we say, issues.

15. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Did you... *sigh*
    If you are going to make an argument, the LEAST you could do would be to make it well...

What you said...

What I am assuming you mean...

Now... I ask you - just how Deluded ARE you, Balerion, to think that you are somehow "part of the solution"? What "pathetic zeal" have I "clung to this institution" with? The only "zeal" I have is (was) the hope I could come here and partake in intelligent discussion... now, it is mostly pseudoscience, conspiracies, anti-establishment drama, and general unpleasantness...

Ego-stroking? If I wanted to "stoke my ego", i'd simply perma-ban you... I can promise you, there isn't anyone on the mod team who would question it... and honestly? It wouldn't do much for my ego. After all, in terms of my life, you are an insignificant non-entity.

No... there is precious little on this forum that could possibly "stroke my ego". None of it has to do with you, Balerion. I must say, your over-inflated sense of importance on this site is... astonishing.

16. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

MR
    You should be moderator over the Fringe sections.
    You would make an excellent moderator.

17. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

I see you retain your sense of humour Captain.

18. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

No, I mean it.
    Make the poacher a gamekeeper.
    Who would make a better moderator for Fringe?

19. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Someone who knows what "evidence" means for a start.
    Someone who doesn't uncritically regard "I know" as a valid argument.

20. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Even I have my limits. I would lose patience monitoring threads on 911 conspiracies and alien abductions. But tks anyway..

21. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Yes and no. If you arbitrarily end up in a blind spot, well....

22. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Yes id love to see Fringe sections become fringe-frindly an who beter than Magical Realist to moderate it.!!!

People who are so intolerant of such discussions that they cant be civil... have plenty of other areas to discuss issues fully based on the scientific method.!!!

23. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

You appear to have some confusion between being "intolerant of the discussions" and "intolerant of the methods of so doing".

The problem here is that many participants in the woo sections are trying - either consciously or unconsciously - to ignore "science based methods" altogether.
    If we are prepared to entirely forego applying science to their claims (not least of which is evidence) then why bother to have such sections at all?
    There are innumerable sites devoted entirely to woo, and the vast majority are far less critical - to the point of total acceptance.

I have no problem with the discussion of woo per se, so long as it works within the guidelines.