Same face for 70 years.

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Dinosaur, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Intellectually, I know that I do not look the same as I did circa 70 years ago.

Psychologically, I think I look the same.

Circa 70 years ago, I choose a hair style which I have used since then.

Every day I stand in front of a mirror & comb my hair. From one day to the next, I see no changes: Ergo, I seem to have had the same face for 70 years.

I hardly recognize myself when I see Yearbook photos from high school & college.

Perhaps I would seem different if I had become bald or had some accident which left scars or other disfigurements.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mathman Valued Senior Member

Appearence change is very gradual.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

I'm yet only 32 years old, and I thought when I was younger that I would try to recognise the changes, yet they seem to happen without much notice

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

(except obvious things like puberty changes)

What I noticed best was that things that were hard to do suddenly became easier to do, it was as if I got more potential, more strength, easier to understand how to solve a problem, easier to recognise myself in others, easier to learn things. But my guess is that this potentiality grew without my notice and it was only when I practised it that I saw that I had it in me.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. bearer_of_truth Registered Senior Member

I've gotten fat and bald, yet my wife hasn't called me ugly yet, so I guess I'm doing ok.

8. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

you are that old?...

9. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Similar to Dinosaur, I have retained a simple hairstyle and a classic wardrobe, which makes my age a bit hard to determine for those who do not know me. My hair color has changed with time (I don't use dyes) and my taste in eye-wear has definitely improved but people whom I have not seen in a decade will easily recognize me.

10. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

I was for some 20 years in a high stress lifestyle, once I discovered (upon changing to a technical major) that I could live with skipping sleep one night a week. Gradually this shifted to sleeping two or three times a week. That lasted for at least a decade. During that time I noticed no effects of aging, and people always estimated my age to be about 10 years less than actual. However, things changed and I stopped living that way. It was then that I noticed a rather abrupt aging in my face, and the same hairstyle began to look like it belonged on somebody else.

I'm certainly not the same person. The same is true when I run into old friends I haven't seen in a long time. Some quality of that personality is the same, but in other respects they are inhabited by a stranger. The craziest example is the woman I hadn't seen since I had a crush on her in high school. She had been through raising a large family and a divorce and we met by chance one day. She had never forgotten I was smitten with her, and sort of had it in mind to hook up with me, sort of like a Plan B. And this was the day, to my surprise. She still would melt butter, but as the conversation went on and this revelation unfolded, I realized couldn't find her inside of the shell that had grown around her. I ended up walking away from what I suspect would have been a disaster. It was around that time that I realized that I'm inhabited by a stranger as well. I usually forget this. I wake up assuming I'm the same person. But it keeps coming back to me, the way I'm only imagining that my former self is still running things. I can still get results but not using the strategies of my younger persona. I have to yield to the alien within.

When I'm chillaxin' I revert back to my young persona, finding enjoyment in a thousand things. Those are the times I will be astonished by what I see in the mirror.

While I'm sitting on Dinosaur's sofa I sure wish someone would quote this text so he will see it. Dinosaur: you probably put me on ignore for insulting you a long time ago. I am sorry. I made a mistake. I misunderstood your post and believed you were trolling. I have tried to apologize several times since then but I suspect you have me on ignore. For what it's worth, I do actually like your posts.

11. Waiter_2001 Registered Senior Member

I believe people's faces can change depending on what you know about them also: should you learn something about someone that allows you to see them differently, then that is exactly what happens; you see them differently (kinder or meaner etc.)

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

A man growing old becomes a child again.
    Sophocles

To me, growing old is great. It's the very best thing - considering the alternative.
    Michael Caine

“A diplomat is a man who always remembers a woman's birthday but never remembers her age.”
    ― Robert Frost

“The more sand that has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it.”
    ― Jean-Paul Sartre

13. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Aqueous Id: From your Post #7
    I do not remember any major disagreement or Post by you which I considered insulting.

While I suppose I have disagreed with you, I remember you as one of the more rational/reasonable Posters. I have read Posts by you which I agreed with, but felt that I had no pertinent remarks worth Posting. Similarly for some Posts by you with which I mildly disagreed relating to a minor minor issue, not important enough to warrant the time to Post a reply.

If I seemed to be anti-AqId, it was not by deliberate intent. I have never put you or anyone else on SciForums ignore. Why would anyone bother to do so? It is easy to scan and/or skip Posts that are bothersome, boring, or antagonistic.

14. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Great then, Oh Wise One !! I'm glad you forgot my transgression. I like your posts, and in fact saw something interesting you posted years ago. Thanks for the update.

15. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

yea but even though you are both old, he does not go around accusing other people and mocking them.
    Blessings to dinosaurs, who act appropriately and with respect. Maybe its the manner in which he answers the post that is so...positive and attractive. I sure want to be more of the Dinosaur when I get old and less to none like Aqueous Id. No grumpiness, please.

16. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

I see. You want to troll without being checkmated. Reiku? Farsight? Rajesh? You've certainly disrupted the continuity of this thread. Congratulations.