needle valves in a stromberg sidedraft

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by sculptor, Aug 22, 2014.

1. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Has anyone here ever replaced the needle valves in a stromberg sidedraft?
    My GT6's carbs leak gas-------I think they need needle valve replacement-----i ain't never taken a side draft apart.
    Tips?
    advice?
    Stray thoughts?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

It's been many, many years ago, but I was a British car mechanic for about three years..

Strombergs aren't hard to rebuild, but make sure you get the correct rebuild kit! They can be a monster to tune, though. If I remember correctly, you might need a special tool to adjust them while running so they're pulling the same vacuum and allowing the same amount of gas into the float chambers.

I'll look around on TouTube, and you might give it a try as well. Do you have a Haynes manual for it?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

Sounds like time to rebuild the carbs - could be floats(sticking, sinking?) - multiple things could cause fuel leaks...

Have you tried Forums?

Good one to start would be : http://www.triumphexp.com/

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sculptor Valued Senior Member

No manual

No forums, yet

I don't plan to do it until I get my new roof installed. I'm replacing asphalt shingles with steel.
    Now, I'm just collecting some basic information. Years ago, i rebuilt my Buick's 4bbl.

Tuning them remains a complete unknown. I was planning to mark their current settings and start there--------------then....(into the abyss?)
    I've had this car for 41 years---maybe it's an emotional thing?

as/re rebuild kit: Do you think all '73 triumph gt6s would have the same carbs?

thanx
    rod

8. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Try this thread. The Google turned up a couple of decent links for when you're ready..