Retelectro music

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Stryder, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

For those if you that didn't notice, the title was a hybrid of Retro and Electro since that's what this threads about.

I've just recently picked up a Roland MC-303 Groovebox (Not the same as the famed TB-303), I neither a musician nor a producer in any form. So although the box dates from 1996, it's all new to me.

I was just wondering how many sciforums members actually produce their own music through such equipment, since I'm looking for any tips/tricks that others might have picked up when using such equipment. In any event I'll get back to working out how to put some songs together and maybe if any are good, I might share them.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

Stryder, honestly the 'Retelectro' threw me somewhat. I thought that you were possibly referring to salvaging or restoring music that had been recorded on "Telectro" brand consumer tape recorders sold in the 50's and 60's.
    A brief history of the "Telectro" brand can be found at : http://www.recording-history.org/HTML/CH/telec1.php

In relation to the "Roland MC-303 Groovebox", I would posit that it would possibly be better to use the term 'retro-synth' or maybe 'retro-sequencer'.

The "Roland MC-303 Groovebox" was a fairly decent and relatively easy-to-use sequencer in its time. If you are interested in listening to a complete "album" that was produced using a "Roland MC-303 Groovebox", try this Link : https://midera.bandcamp.com/album/in-the-absence-of-expression

I employed similar equipment during the 90's to record rhythm/drum tracks on amateur multi-track recordings of my original "songs".

Stryder, have you ever used any of the "Cakewalk" or "Ableton" software for computer created music?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Cakewalk is a good program.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I wasn't too sure of the title either. :/

I had checked out a couple of sequencer's in the past, mainly due to my sister being a musician who occasionally used software to record herself. I'd toyed with remixing some stuff back in the mid 1990's however I had to improvise using two channels (stereo) and cutting everything into bars to fit the timing since there wasn't enough RAM or hard-drive space (virtual RAM) to use the program I was using for a full track. (Pity I lost the tapes made back then since they were a bit of fun)

I haven't used Cakewalk (I've known of it, however never bothered with it previously), although I know the newer versions of Roland equipment integrates it.

8. zgmc Registered Senior Member

I used to mess around with the 303, 505, and cakewalk. Pretty fun. Just experiment with it. Do you play any other instruments?

9. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Currently no, I know I should really look into understanding music thoroughly to make the most of it, I did consider a cross discipline study. For instance if I was to try to recreate specific areas of physics into music, there would need to be a mathematical transition between the two, So I could end up dabbling in three fields (or just getting an awesome headache.. :/)