Crash diet a cure for diabetes?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Magical Realist, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

"Overweight patients who were put on a diet of just 800 calories a day were free of the disease within a few weeks of following the strict regime.

Experts last night hailed the results as “enormously exciting” and are now working on a trial to test whether the reversal of this form of the disease could be permanent.

Diabetes is the leading cause of blindness in people of working age and a major cause of lower limb amputation, kidney failure and stroke.

In the UK, there are some three million people living with Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes, and around 850,000 more who have Type 2 diabetes but don’t know it because they haven’t been diagnosed.

As many as seven million people are at high risk of developing Type 2 diabetes and if current trends continue, an estimated five million people will have diabetes by 2025.

The diet, which was tested on 11 patients, is a key part of a new £2.4million medical trial of almost 300 people with obesity-induced diabetes.

Professor Roy Taylor, of Newcastle University, who led the study, said: “We demonstrated that by changing calorie intake we could change fat levels in the liver and pancreas and return insulin production to normal.

“The new study is to see whether GPs can use this approach to reverse diabetes in their patients and whether it will stay reversed. The evidence is that it will, but we need a large-scale trial to prove that it works.”===http://www.express.co.uk/life-style...800-calories-a-day-can-cure-diabetes-in-weeks

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

You can cure diabetes by putting yourself on a two week water fast. And it's cheap too, just pay for water and more sleep time.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. river

And then what ?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. river

Following the Atkins diet works

8. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

*facepalm*

This would probably work VERY well for Type 2 diabetics and pre-diabetics...

I promise you, if my friend Andrew, who is in good physical shape but Type 1, tried this... he would probably die... no exaggeration.

9. elte Valued Senior Member

I have had trouble from excessive blood sugar (type II proclivity), and it seems that eating just one longish meal in a day four times a week probably helps, along with being more careful about the food selection, too.

10. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

There is no need to resort to a starvation diet like this to reverse diabetes. The objective with overweight people is to burn the stored fat. The method of burning fat is known as lipolysis, and it is this that needs to be encouraged. Unfortunately lipolysis is seriously inhibited by the presence of insulin. And insulin is triggered by far the most when carbohydrates are consumed. The ONLY way to burn fat is by limiting carbohydrates, this has always been the case. The starvation diets, i.e. low calorie, work because ultimately they reduce carbohydrate consumption to the point where insulin levels are low. The problem with such starvation diets is that you feel hungry and your body will work hard to make you eat more and you can only fight against those feelings for a short time and then you will binge, as pretty much every dieter in the world who tries calorie reduction has experienced.

The answer is not to limit calories but to significantly limit carbohydrates and replace them with fat and protein, although protein should also be limited to what the body needs for maintenance, since too much protein will be converted to glucose which of course triggers more insulin. The consumption of an increased level of fat further encourages lipolysis, but both fat and protein offer significant satiety and do not stimulate addiction and cravings as we see with carbohydrates. The key to weight loss is to keep protein to about 1g per 2lbs of lean body mass, and keep fat intake relatively high but just low enough so that some excess stored fat is released. This forms a long term sustainable and satisfying dietary technique, where you simply eat when you feel hungry and never count calories.

The overwhelming value of such a high fat and low carbohydrate process is that glucose levels remain very low and the typical type 2 diabetic will easily be able to keep to normal glucose levels. With such a high fat regimen the body will adapt to fat burning and will generate increasing levels of ketones that form a neuroprotective and preferred fuel for the brain and heart. It is estimated that up to 95% of the brain energy can come from ketones, while the remaining glucose needs can be obtained from minimal to zero carbohydrate consumption combined with the release of glycerol that is generated when fats (triglycerides) are metabolized.

The other major advantage of the hign fat low carb (HFLC) technique is that lipid profiles and ratios, e.g. HDL, LDL, Trigs, become very healthy.

11. river

Agreed

Carbs. Are the problem

Hence why I suggested the Atkins diet

I've done his program . Its about protein and that your carbs are from the vegetables

It worked for me anyway

My sugar dropped 4 points , in about 3 months

12. elte Valued Senior Member

I* have been thinking how the high protein, high fat diet might put a person in top form. However, it occurred to me that it is harder to get balanced nutrition that way, in general. That was my opinion, anyway. Foods like beans and oatmeal are generally considered nutritious, yet high in carbs, for example. I've just read how mice live longest on a high carb diet.

http://newsroom.unsw.edu.au/news/health/making-age-reversal-real

*ducks behind stone firewall

13. billvon Valued Senior Member

Yep. We evolved eating a pretty wide variety of food. Artificially restricting yourself to just a few types will generally make you sick. Eating a balanced diet (in moderation) and getting exercise is generally the best approach, but it's boring. So instead we have fad diets that are touted as the cure to diabetes, obesity, gout, bad breath etc.

Spending an hour or so with a nutritionist, or starting a regular exercise regime, will do far more for you than any fad diet.

14. elte Valued Senior Member

Billvon, I was also thinking of the word moderation, and exercise sure does help a lot.

15. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Much is made of the term "balanced" diet - what does that mean? For most it seems eating a wide variety of foods and hoping that somewhere in that are the correct ratios of nutrients needed.

A better approach should be to eat what your body needs and to understand what it needs. And that becomes somewhat problematic if it is assumed there is one diet that fits all. We have evolved over the past 2+ million years in different geographical areas, arctic to tropical. The varieties of foods in each area are widely different. The result is that many bloodlines have each adapted to different nutrient ratios. Your genes determine what you can and shouldn't eat. This is mainly observed in a wide variety of digestive enzymes, that some people have, or do not, or are weak or strong. So some might do well on a low fat high carb strategy and while others need high fat and low carb. One useful test for that at least is APO-E. This has two values, one from each parent. The values are called E2, E3, and E4. And you can have most combinations. E3-E3 is the most common, While two at one end stresses a sensitive to fat metabolism (lipolysis), while at the other a sensitivity to carbs (glycolysis). Choosing an approach that is the opposite of your gene sensitivity will be disastrous.

And Atkins is not high protein - it is better characterized as low carb, moderate protein, and high fat if normal weight otherwise fat intake should not be excessive if overweight since the objective is to use more of your own fat stores rather than fat from consumption. Otherwise it comes under the family of ketogenic diets.

The issue with protein is that you should only consume what you need for body maintenance, about 1g for every 2lbs of lean body weight, seems to work fine. If you consume too much protein, e.g. a high protein strategy then the excess protein is simply converted to glucose - a real waste of protein.

16. Sylvester Registered Senior Member

I met someone tonight who said the very same thing. It was a little more involved than that though. Well, i tell you, he was honest. But, i never fasted over one day and i am almost 50 and i havent even been for a check up 25 years. Take no meds, i am an american and i dont know...i look no older than 30. Just lucky i guess. Honestly, i have never taken any medication. Gosh, dont even know what that would be like. But it gets involved and genetics play a part. My grammy was a deader at 94, smoked like a chimney too.

But, i am a little torn. What works for some aint gonna work for everyone.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  17. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

Don't trust me? Trust the thousands of years of evolution that all humans went through and the ages of starvation and came out healthy from it.

18. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Carbs are not "the problem"... the "problem" is empty calories and simple, over-refined carbs... ultimately, it's a simple math problem - burn more calories than you eat, you will lose weight. The trick is doing it in a healthy way so what you lose isn't muscle/bone mass but fat and excess water.

19. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

And the millions who have tried that, almost everyone who have tried a reducing diet, will tell you that approach doesn't work - something like a 95% failure rate.

The calories in calories out concept would work well if human metabolism was a CLOSED system - it isn't - your body adapts to the incoming fuel. If you eat less then your metabolism slows down to compensate and you feel tired, grumpy, lethargic, and weight loss stops. At the same time a various cluster of hormones work to tell you to eat more - you are hungry. Only the most ruthlessly willful person can withstand that onslaught and hold out. For most poor mortals, the majority of us, that bio-feedback ultimately leads to dieting failure.

The way out is to not feel hungry - eat satiating, highly dense nutritious foods, i.e. fat and protein. Carbs cause addictive behavior and insulin spikes that alternate you between energy highs and lows - the lows make you eat again when you are not really hungry.

20. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

...of course a high fat and protein diet can bring on such as diverticulitis. Yeah, you can do that and lose some weight pretty fast, but then you have to reinsert fruits, vegetables and carbohydrates or you will have further problems.

Instead of a "diet" that you use to achieve a short - term weight or blood sugar goal, a change in life style is an effective means to become healthy. Eat right and exercise regularly, get plenty of rest and avoid unhealthy habits. Your weight will then be just a fact rather than a problem and your health - blood sugar inclusive - will be optimum for you.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. river

22. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

Now you're talking like a spambot.

23. river

Of course , until you read their books .