Entering equations

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Jennifer Murphy, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Jennifer Murphy Registered Senior Member

Are there instructions somewhere for how to enter math equations in these posts?

I went to the FAQ and ran a search for "equations" and "latex". Both said "no matches".

Also, is there a place to post test messages (bit bucket)?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

There is more information on using Latex available at the following URL

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

which might or might not correspond to the current version here, it includes a test box on their site)
    http://www.forkosh.com/mimetextutorial.html

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Ah. The bbCode isn't documented anywhere here?

tex and /tex enclosed in square brackets are the delimiters. For some reason placing code tags around it still renders LaTeX in the code box...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

\(\Large x=\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}\)

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Code tags are really meant for PHP and other scripting languages, it's really to stop the code executing or malforming due to sanitisation methods.
    Latex isn't considered code, however there is [noparse] tag that can be used:

(The noparsed version of Dr Toad's Latex)
    [noparse]\(\Large x=\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}\)[/noparse]

8. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Thank you!

9. Jennifer Murphy Registered Senior Member

Thank you very much. That is a very good tutorial. I had done a search for LaTeX tutorials, but that one did not come up. It's much better than any that did.

10. Jennifer Murphy Registered Senior Member

The unparsed "source" code is also revealed by Reply With Quote. The noparse version of your noparse version of Dr_Toad's LaTeX is:

[noparse][noparse]\(\Large x=\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}\)[/noparse][/noparse]

And the Preview function is a useful, if somewhat inconvenient, way to test it.

Thanks to Stryder's tutorial link and przyk's examples, I think I am beginning to get the hang of it.

11. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

Pete started a [THREAD=61223]thread[/THREAD] when LaTeX math support was added to this forum. It's still stickied and listed at the top of the Physics & Math forum and discusses some basic usage. One of the more fun discoveries was that the LaTeX math system [POST=2942321]supports a graphic/picture drawing environment[/POST].

It's a bit of a misnomer to say the forum supports "LaTeX" though, since LaTeX is a full fledged document typesetting system and most of its functionality isn't supported (and wouldn't even make much sense) here. This forum uses a small program (probably mimeTeX) that just implements some of LaTeX's math mode along with some of the more common symbols and commands from optional packages. Even there it's not an exact copy or subset, so tips and advice from a general LaTeX tutorial might not apply here and vice versa. (For instance, using the eqnarray environment is usually seriously discouraged in LaTeX, but it works OK here and is probably the best way to typeset aligned equations on the forum.)

Apart from the mimeTeX tutorial and documentation linked to above, in my experience much of the AMS short math guide should work here, though you might come across the odd symbol or command that isn't supported.

Well it's in the list of tags hidden away here, though of course if you can find that you probably already know most of them anyway.

12. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Thanks, I'll look.

Damn. How can I delete the attachment from this post?