Your all-time favorite childhood toy

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Magical Realist, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

What was it? Mine was a ventriloquist doll named Mortimer Snerd complete with a LP record of how to be a ventriloquist. Turns out Santa couldn't come up with a Danny O' Day doll.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. andy1033 Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

Nothing, just my imagination.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Not sure what my favorite toy was. I might have to think a bit on that.

That's a wonderful box, Cosmic.

8. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

For me tv remote would be the best toy because I did not have too many, only same old white bear and some small cars

I would imagine it is a spaceship and would use other tv remotes as other spaceships.

I would make up a story like...

"Interstellar spaceship Faton on approach to gamma constellation, turning on its warp drives....Warning Warning....planet nearby (that was the coach) warning engines mulfunctions...the spaceship goes on its side and I make noise of rev of the engines and shake the couch...We are going to crash! Turn on emergency thrusters!. and than i would have it hover over the coach and land...It is beautiful here Captain, look at the mountains and the big gigantic boulder over there...oh noo...i take the pillow...its rolling over here, it might fall on the spaceship, evacuate"

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Thanks, I had a few of them when very young fun to imagine all the things that box represented.

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

After giving it some thought I cannot come up with one special toy. Instead I pick Lego.

1980's Lego set:

11. elte Valued Senior Member

My favorite childhood toy can be considered a toy at times and other times it might not really be one. It was my green stingray, which was a single speed Huffy.

12. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I remember Mortimer Snerd, a companion of Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy. Charlie was the wise-ass, Mortimer was the dumb-ass.

Bergen and Charlie had a cameo in "The Muppet Movie"--along with practically everyone else in Hollywood: all entertainers seem to love the Muppets. He died before it was completed so they dedicated the movie to him.

I was in the Smithsonian a few years ago (I live in the Washington metropolitan area and being able to go to the Smithsonian any time I want is one of the most wonderful things about this place) and they had just given Charlie McCarthy a place of honor in one of the museums. A lady walked in with her little boy and she was almost as teary-eyed as I was. The boy of course had grown up with animated TV shows so he couldn't understand what was so special about a simple wooden doll. She tried to explain but he just didn't get it.

I caught her eye and brought out a smile on her face. At least somebody there remembered the old days.

If you like ventroliquism, I hope you've discovered Terry Fator. Yes, he won American Idol easily and had his own show in Vegas for a year.

My most beloved toy was a small stuffed panda. He slept with my dog and me. He's long gone but ten or fifteen years ago I picked up a new one just for the nostalgia.

My most played with toy was a set of American Bricks. I had an Erector Set and Tinkertoys, but for some reason I had more fun with those identical rectangular wooden bricks. (I know that Legos had already been invented but apparently they weren't available yet in the USA in the mid-1950s.)

13. elte Valued Senior Member

There was a show that reaired old classics on our NPR station. That how I heard Charlie McCarthy.

I recall having pretty much fun with a dart gun, trying to stick darts on the closet door at the back of the upstairs hallway.

I tried unsuccessfully to ride a wheelie on the stingray, but it turned out that I finally could do it much later as an adult on a newer bike that the neighbor was throwing out. I took it and rode it to neighbors' houses on the street for quick short-range transportation. It had 16" wheels while the long-gone stingray had 20" wheels.

14. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

We couldn't afford toys so I made a slingshot, a checkers set & other things. We played card games. I spent more time watching TV than playing & more time reading than watching TV. Probably about the same amount of time I spent reading, I spent walking thru the woods exploring & climbing trees.

15. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

Seriously? Everyone knows it's "Slinky"...

Second, "Tinkertoys"...

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

What the hell are those?? lol

17. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

OK... Maybe Tinkertoys you wouldn't know.

You've never heard of a Slinky?

I think you're messing with me now...

18. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I just looked them up. Turns out I do know what slinkies are, but by a different (Dutch) name.
    Tinkertoys appear to be wooden sticks and blocks that can be used to assemble something with, not unlike K'nex (which I do know).

19. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

20. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

Slinkies were the best thing a kid could have back in the day...

Tinkertoys were awesome too...yeah, just cheap pieces of wood and plastic, but loved that crap.

We didn't have X-box in my day... Just simple toys... Oh yeah, we used to play outside too.

I know this doesn't happen anymore... Parks around here are always empty.
    Well except for the drunks and gang bangers...

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I remember that, when I was very little, I used to love my box of toy blocks.
    Something like this:

I remember have one of these and loving it to the annoyance of everyone else.

Or how about this? Did you guys play with those as well?

I know right. Although the hype seems to have died down a bit over here. Kids are playing outside more again these days.

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Blocks, combined with those tracks for matchbox cars. Also Star Wars action figures.

23. leopold Valued Senior Member

a texaco tanker semi.
    it didn't unhook though.
    my mom told me i had to share it when my friends came over and one of them broke it.