Multiple personality question..

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by NMSquirrel, Aug 8, 2014.

1. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

what if..

a person who has multiple personalities were to be given a camera so that he could communicate with those other personalities..

has this been tested?
    it would be easy enough to do..

hmm...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

DID patients can sometimes have two or more aspects functionally "present" and aware simultaneously, thereby allowing them to communicate verbally with each other or by merely exchanging private thought conversations. However, these are often DID sufferers that are therapeutically progressing rather than those still experiencing a disordered life from lack of either professional or self diagnosis. Photos, film videos, and audio recordings have probably been utilized in the past with other techniques in the course of early stages of "wakening" / treatment.

It's no longer a given that DID is a malady or an undesirable condition; and negative circumstances like childhood abuse, poor mental health, etc are not necessary conditions for engendering it. Since multiple identities have historically developed and found non-detrimental social roles in assorted cultural contexts.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

Everybody has multiple personalities.
    You're this at work, that at home. Something else with your friends. Another with those you speak to when stuck in an in an elevator.

If you support something, you provide it with authenticity. And relevance.
    I wonder how many "multiple personalities" there were a couple of hundred years ago.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I'm beside myself.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  8. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

Drop the "s", and you might have made me smile. Briefly.
    Because it's been done.
    So many times.

Having a mental irregularity is, these days, almost de rigeur.
    Which is, to a large degree, why mental irregularities are classified and popularised beyond all recognition.

9. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

I am very suspicious of the Multi-Personality syndrome.

It could very well be a game that a person plays with friends & shrinks.

10. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I'd suggest the same, after all anyone claiming to have a multiple personality could be viewed through MRI. If the "personalities" are suppose to be different then different areas of the brain would function during each personality, if the MRI reveals that the same area light up, then there is the likelihood that the person knows that there personalities are in fact a figment of their imagination (since they would be sharing memories). There is only one option where this wouldn't be absolute and that is if the brain is being manipulated from an external source (Radiologically), then it would be possible to have multiple radio operators with different dispositions using the same brain area which however would be different from that of the hosts own thought structures.

11. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

My imagination has me with multiple personalities and they do not know of each other, so in order to communicate they must video tape themselves, we are almost all of consensus, each is knowledgeable in their own respective fields(they have different interests) and each can contribute to a common goal, we all agree on this point, but we are divided on how to direct that goal, its gonna either be take over the world, or exterminate all bunnies..

personally I like bunnies..
    we will see..

12. wellwisher Banned Banned

Multiple personalities are connected to the two sides of the brain working together apart from conscious choices. The right brain is more spatial and integral, while the left brain is more differential. A multiple personality appears when the right brained spatial of 3-D unity of the person breaks down into two or more differential aspects of itself via the left brain. Picture the spatial right brain as being a 3-D object like a ball. We can approximate this ball with a large number of planes with a common center. These planes are all parts of ourselves. Normally the personality remans 3-D, but at times this ball can dissociate, in the left brain, into one of its many rational planes.

We all have different sides to ourselves. We have a happy side and angry side, with each looking at the world differently. We may have the business executive side our associates see and/or the small child side our mate will see. All that we are (all the planes) is the 3-D us. This unity can differentiates into one of its many left brain planes, while remaining attached to common center in the right brain, who is all that we are.

The main difference between multiple personalities and changes of mood personalities, is connected to which side of the brain one is more conscious of. We can be conscious of only one side of the brain, at a time, with the other more unconscious. If one is left brain, one will remain conscious of the different mood personalities, but will be unconscious of their center. I can be mad, but will lose track of the fact this is not all of me. I might forget yesterday i was more forgiven and that is also part of me.

The person centered on the right brain, senses the unification of themselves due to their 3-D perception. But their left brain is much less conscious. The result is each plane (personality) being expressed is less conscious. They feel the unity of the right brain and in light of an unconscious left brain plane. One will get the feeling this is a separate person used to express their full 3-D self and not just one of many planes that can do this.

I remember dating a gal many years ago who had many different mood persona from social elite to peasant girl. From nurturer to baby, etc. She was conscious of this and separated her 3-d unity into it many expressions so I could see all of her; mystery of woman. She was left brained and very practical. I was more right brain and would often lose track of how she would induce me to assume the complementary role as a separate personality alien to me. I learned quickly, and became the one who would spontaneously dissociate in unconscious instead of planned ways, inducing her to assume new roles. It was good for data collection of how this dynamics works from the POV of both sides of the brain.

13. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Dissociative identity disorder (DID), previously referred to as multiple personality disorder, is a dissociative disorder involving a disturbance of identity in which two or more separate and distinct personality states (or identities) control an individual's behavior at different times. When under the control of one identity, a person is usually unable to remember some of the events that occurred while other personalities were in control. The different identities, referred to as alters, may exhibit differences in speech, mannerisms, attitudes, thoughts and gender orientation. The alters may even present physical differences, such as allergies, right-or-left handedness or the need for eyeglass prescriptions. These differences between alters are often quite striking.

http://www.nami.org/Content/Navigat...By_Illness/Dissociative_Identity_Disorder.htm

14. Manifold1 Banned Banned

True, but do they notice them?

And those who do notice them, do they not feed the subliminal ego?

These are the differences between a true split personality leading to schizophrenic disorders and someone who just functions like multiple people when really they are just excellent at multitasking.

15. Manifold1 Banned Banned

Yes, there is a difference and wiki does a good job explaining it. Among some mental health issues I too have a split personality disorder, I take turns for the worse and become suicidal in the face of... many mixtures of emotional difficulties in my life.

16. Manifold1 Banned Banned

Anya didn't like bunnies. She wanted to kill them all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gY8HilVZXQ

17. rivers82 Registered Member

it's true like The Marquis said that mental "irregularities" are classified and popularised beyond all recognition today. As a matter of fact every single person on Earth has some kind of syndrome or another, where instead I would just say that everybody has personal CHARACTERISTICS. Classifying human traits as syndromes that need treatment directly imply that to be a "normal" human, one would need to have some "humanity-dissociative disorder"!! AHahahaa the circle closes here!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

One can't escape it! Yes Marquis, we all have "multiple personalities", but these are not exactly detached/distinct personalities- they are only our different approaches to deal with different situations. (whether we are looking at the disparate approaches needed to deal with the various daily situations (at work, at home, when driving, when dating, etc), or at the different approaches when dealing with longer term situations such as when on holiday, or when one changes economical status, or welcomes a birth, or deals with mourning). DID instead, involves different/distinct personality types (more than one, like could be you or me) which each ALSO have their own different approaches to deal with life.

When properly diagnosed, (which to my opinion should be diagnosed only when the personalities types within one person are totally unaware of the other types and take control of the person independently from the situations that trigger a reaction or another) it is a very serious condition, very closely related to schizophrenia, as one is not in control of his own mental cogitations. This mental condition, at this point becomes pathological and needs treatment as these develop in harmful behaviours against the same person or society.

to answer the question that is the topic of the thread: yes it works to film a personality type and show it to those who for example, are violent men at home while very calm and gentle at their work place, as these have ONE personality type, but maybe just little inhibitory ability, or are short tempered and develop temporarily aggressive "personalities", or rather, behaviours that cause them to shift into different people, and then as a mechanism of defence these try to forget or minimize what they did. Showing them a video of their violent reactions can unmistakeably produce their objective comprehension of how they "transform themselves" in certain situations and can help them change their behaviours or approaches to those situations. Showing a video might also help those with a mild form of what they called it MPD (or now DID). Unfortunately however, people with extreme DID, really have no recollection of what they said or did while they impersonated another of their selves. Showing them a video of themselves impersonating one of their personalities would be like showing them a movie of someone else and result useless, not curative, in some cases counter-productive. Personally, I believe that mild forms of DID are pretty common and develop naturally as any other common defense mechanism in may people, depending on genetics and life experiences, BUT that the extreme forms- where each personality type within one person is totally disconnected, independent and isolated from one another- is the result of mental manipulation upon a person who has a predisposition of developing this defense mechanism. Therapy in these cases can be very complex, as the patient/victim would have to choose one personality/identity from the ones that embody him, or however re-invent himself in adult life... which is hard... but it would definitely be beneficial, as long as no furtherly confusing psychopharmacological drugs are used (my opinion).
    At times, spiteful "therapists" themselves try to convince patients that they have multiple personalities, suffered child abuse that they can't remeber of, and prescribe psychoactive drugs to to make the patient a life-long dependent CLIENT! ........horrible people.....

18. bearer_of_truth Registered Senior Member

Some multiple personality disorders may be do to demonic possession. Surely, different personalities could be seen in demonic possession. Maybe it is merely just a subconscious desire of the individual to be someone he is not.

19. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

No.

There's no such thing as "demonic possession". Or "demons".

20. bearer_of_truth Registered Senior Member

The wise man knows the truth.

21. rivers82 Registered Member

LOL

demonic possessions exist and that's why we should all have a trusted family exorcist- which of course should be covered by medical insurance!!

yes some people like to excuse their misdeeds or shameful behaviours by giving the fault to their uncontrolled split personality....! but those people are so pathetic and so easy to unmask.. it's just a matter of how much credit people want to give them! others instead are genuinely extremely confused (and then later easily subjugated by manipulative therapists or relatives)... we must consider, a part from emotional traumas or contorted childhood education, how widespread the abuse of medicines and recreational drugs is (just as well consider exposure to chemical additives/pollutants/hormones that are in our foods, cosmetics, etc), which I am certain can have serious adverse effects on the body and thus the brain of the people, contributing to the innumerable cases of real and proper identity detachments or other psychiatric problems. The brain is an "organ" of the body that is affected like any other organ even by the smallest bite of food that we eat, but people somehow consider the mind as something separate..

anyway, demons or not, I believe in angels!

22. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Right...

23. bearer_of_truth Registered Senior Member

A game indeed...the game of having many personalities. But believed by the participant.