Film short: Why It's So Hard for Scientists to Believe in God

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Arne Saknussemm, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

(For some reason the advanced editing won't work for me at the moment.)

This YouTube video is the ideal we should be working for in order to have an objective, fully functioning and compelling religion sub-forum.

In minute:1:30 Francis Collins brings up my pet peeve - why "scientists" cannot tolerate any discussion of religion. Of course, those who continually come to this sub-forum to quash any serious discussion of religious topics, like rhinos stamping out fires- are not really scientists at all (they just like to bask in their glory by association, and are little more than bigoted, small-minded trolls) but never mnd that now... Please just listen to what the man has to say. As a Christian I have no trouble with anything he is saying, and I can't believe for an instant an honest, scientifically minded person could object to anything he has to say either.

Hence why I see his remarks as the middle ground, open and tolerant sub-forum I would like to see to establish here.

Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pINptKQYviQ

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. zgmc Registered Senior Member

Why do you want to discuss religion in a science forum anyway?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

Why is there a religion sub-forum, if not for that?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

A survey of scientists who are members of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, conducted by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press in May and June 2009, finds that members of this group are, on the whole, much less religious than the general public.1 Indeed, the survey shows that scientists are roughly half as likely as the general public to believe in God or a higher power.

According to the poll, just over half of scientists (51%) believe in some form of deity or higher power; specifically, 33% of scientists say they believe in God, while 18% believe in a universal spirit or higher power. By contrast, 95% of Americans believe in some form of deity or higher power, according to a survey of the general public conducted by the Pew Research Center in July 2006. Specifically, more than eight-in-ten Americans (83%) say they believe in God and 12% believe in a universal spirit or higher power. Finally, the poll of scientists finds that four-in-ten scientists (41%) say they do not believe in God or a higher power, while the poll of the public finds that only 4% of Americans share this view.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...6oKQBw&usg=AFQjCNG7cqVjGguYzcyyBbmG-dohVh_a5g

8. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

Thank you Cosmic. A worthy contribution to what I am getting at.

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

The truth always helps, your welcome.

10. river

Because scientist don't delve , with depth , into the deeper history of god(s)

If they would , they would find that , it is actually scientists , that enabled ,Humans to be as intelligent as we are

11. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

I don't get you. Did you mean to say, "it is actually the 'religious' , that enabled ,Humans to be as intelligent as we are"? Or what? I don't mean to put words into your mouth.

12. river

Absolutely not religious

13. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

Well what? I don't understand:

"Because scientist don't delve , with depth , into the deeper history of god(s)

If they would , they would find that , it is actually scientists , that enabled ,Humans to be as intelligent as we are"

14. river

Exactly

Go far deeper than the " Book " explains

Investigate the Sumer clay tablets , odd I know , been there done that

The point is , is that within these tablets , is a history of Humanity that very few know about

But are very important to understanding what I'm trying to get across

Fundamentally , we , Humans , were genetically altered , by a very advanced being . Who were scientifically extremely advanced

15. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

Off topic, brother.

16. river

Not at all

Because once scientist understand that it was a scientist , a geneticist that gave us the abilities that we have , they can think differently

17. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

And the river of nonsense keeps on flowing.

18. river

Your ignorance keeps on flowing

19. zgmc Registered Senior Member

20. zgmc Registered Senior Member

21. river

22. river

Look , the point is that , genetic manipulation on us , was done by scientists

In Ancient times

23. zgmc Registered Senior Member

IF you can post a link, i am intetested in checking them out.