Who will become the next Speaker of the House?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by joepistole, Aug 1, 2014.

?

Who will become the next House Speaker?

Poll closed Feb 17, 2015.
  1. Cruz

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Boehner

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Other

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Could Senator Ted Cruz become the next Speaker of the House? Next year, there is a new Congress and the House will need to select a new House Speaker. Since Republicans control the House and are likely to control the House next year, thanks to gerrymandered congressional districts. So who will the next House Speaker be?

Senator Ted Cruz, a Canadian, has been and remains the de facto Speaker of the House. The titular House Speaker, Congressman Boehner, has not been able to pass even his own legislation in the House. It was Ted Cruz who led the House republicans to shut down government. It was Ted Cruz who led House republicans to cause a debt default. And now it is Senator Ted who has successfully led and defeated Speaker Boehner’s emergency Border Patrol Funding. Senator Ted has been doing a lot of actual leading in the House of Representatives of which he is not a member. But one doesn’t need to be a member of the House in order to become House Speaker.

It would be odd indeed if Senator Cruz should become the titular House Speaker. But it is a distinct possibility. It is already more than odd that Canadian Ted has become the de facto House Speaker.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/27/speaker-ted-cruz_n_4004899.html

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mathman Valued Senior Member

The speaker has to be a house member. Ted Cruz is not.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

U.S. law is quite clear on this matter. The child of an American citizen (born or naturalized) is counted as an American citizen at birth, regardless of where the birth takes place.

Obviously situations can arise which can be clarified by adjudication, most commonly if one parent is not a U.S. citizen and the child is born in that parent's country of citizenship. In most of these cases the courts will delay a decision until the child reaches adulthood, and then grant him the citizenship that he selects. But failing that, the U.S. will continue to claim him and he will have all the rights and obligations of U.S. citizenship, even if he never sets foot on American soil.

Ted Cruz's mother is (was?) a native-born American citizen, who was simply working in Canada when her baby was born. His father was born in Cuba, and was belatedly naturalized as an American citizen in 2005. (The two parents are no longer married.)

Cruz has no claim to Canadian ancestry or culture. However, I have no idea how Canada's citizenship rules work. If they're like ours, then he might have been able to claim Canadian citizenship when he attained adulthood. Nonetheless, whether or not that path exists, he did not take it. He is legally a native-born U.S. citizen and therefore eligible to run for President.

My former housemate's father was a naturalized U.S. citizen who worked for the U.S. government. His wife was a Mexican citizen. His job took him to a great many countries and each of his five children was born in a different one. But they were all American citizens from birth..

8. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I take it you are not familar with the concept of dual citizenship? Canadian Ted was born in Canada and was a Canadian citizen until just 2 months ago. Cruz was the only Canadian serving in the US Senate. Cruz has presidential ambitions. And given his supporters are birthers, it's more than a little odd, an hypocritical.

http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews....-has-formally-shed-his-dual-citizenship.html/

And none of that changes the fact that Cruz could become the next official Speaker of the House.

9. mathman Valued Senior Member

I stand corrected. However every speaker to date has been a house member.

Why is the question of Cruz's origin being discussed? The only office rquiring native born citizenship is the Presidency (I presume also the Vice-presidency). The speaker does not have to be native born.

10. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Yes every speaker has been a member, but that doesn't mean it wiil always be so. Senator Cruz exercises already unprecidented control of the House. All he needs now is formal recognition.

Cruz's birth is only relevant because his supporters have made so much of Obama's citizenship (i.e. birthers). The difference being Obama really was born in The United States, Cruz was not. And I don't think anyone believes Cruz will not run for POTUS in 2016.