Taking a personality assessment to move position within company??

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by deepfitting, Aug 1, 2014.

1. deepfitting Registered Member

Okay so I've been with the same company for 2 and a half years and just recently was told I should apply for a position in a different department (that I previously showed interest in) that entire department knows me including the department head but I was told that I'd have to take the MBTI (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator).

To me this is absurd...at first I thought it was a joke but I think he was serious. Does anyone else's job make them take this after they've been with the company already?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Decades ago, my company made me take a Myers-Briggs Type Indicator as part of a training exercise, but it was not used in hiring or for promotions. There is the potential for misuse. Subway sandwich shop (i.e. Doctor's Inc.) was making its new franchisees take this assessment years ago and it still may be requiring its franchisees take this assessment, but it wasn't for training. I suspect they were using it to weed out franchisees down the road after the franchisee had invested heavily into the system. This information is personal and can be used against you. So if I were you, I would question why they insist you take this personality assessment. I think you are wise to question this.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

so what happened with you in that company after you took that Myers-Briggs Type Indicator?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Nothing, it was just an educational thing. It was part of some corporate awareness training. My career went on. I went on to do a number of interesting projects. I initiated and created a new product line. I had a good career. And I went on to open my own businesses.

8. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

so they never explained to you, what it was for?

9. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Yeah, it was to make me aware of personality types and to become a better team member and leader - nothing nefarious, no conspiracies. As I said before, it was not a job requirement. My employer never even saw the assesment. But these assessments could and can be used against people as I previously noted.

10. deepfitting Registered Member

I'm glad it's not just me. They said we could go to cpp.com and read up on it before we took it, if we planned on going for it (I guess that's who they use... I tried to see if I could take a practice one but I can't for free so I said forget it). So I really didn't know what to think but yes I will definitely ask them when I go in later today.

Thank you for your input.