Interstellar movie

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by youreyes, Aug 1, 2014.

1. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

Is anyone else as excited as I am about this movie "Interstellar"?

[video=youtube;zSWdZVtXT7E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSWdZVtXT7E[/video]

It shows Alcubierre drive in as close to scientific theory as possible, beyond Star Trek in my opinion. And numerous astronauts claim Star Trek has inspired them with their careers. I am of course not claiming Interstellar will rise to the epicness of "Contact" with Judy Foster, but still it has that feeling to it. Some people are even questioning it's succession to Odyssey 2001. I am very hopeful.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

Sorry, I can't take a film with Michael Caine in it that seriously. And this whole idea 'we are not meant to save the world but to leave the world' (according to the Michael Caine voiceover) is just a cop out. This movie from what I can tell from the trailer you provided just propagates mindless faith in science - the attitude that we can go on polluting, overpopulating, over-fishing and generally trashing Mother Earth because (LOL) Science will find a way.

Tell you what: I hope science does find a way, but it won't be without proper, responsible stewardship of our planet, and blind faith is science is even stupider than the the blind faith in God that so many of our forum members go on and on about (is said to be) without understanding that religious faith is neither blind nor kneejerk - although 'faith' in science finding answers to all our problems can be described in both these ways. Don't believe me? Watch that film!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Looking forward to it. I actually do recall reading something about it last year, but completely forgot about it.
    Contact and 2001 are among my top Sci/Fi movies, and if it reaches the level of "Contact" I'll be extremely happy.
    I still don't believe though that anything will reach the level of the greatest Sci/Fi movie of all time, "2001: A Space Odyssey"
    I quite enjoyed "Gravity" especially in 3D, but It did not in my opinion reach the standards they were claiming....dont get me wrong...still among my top 10 Sci/fo of all time, but way below the other two I have mentioned.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

It doesn't do much for me after seeing this trailer for it for it seems rather lackluster and drab.

8. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

Drab, lacklustre, Michael, Caine...

9. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

No I get what you are saying and I have the same feelings towards this movie, but it was the idea of interstellar travel as a way to save humanity, yet not in a comic Star Trek way. This movie just struck something in me, unlike Jupiter Rising for example.

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Looks dumb, but if it's good I will be pleasantly surprised.

11. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

its a little stupid yes, with the "we didnt ran out of planes, we ran out of food..." quote but neverthless it is cast in real perspective of current technologies. I dont doubt that Star Trek movie is grand, but the movie is far to surrealistic and everyone is acting there like a hero to be seen as ever taking place. This on the other hand come close to people would feel if we went past Solar System, which Voyagers already did.

New trailer:

[video=youtube;ePbKGoIGAXY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePbKGoIGAXY[/video]

12. brucep Valued Senior Member

Science has already identified the problems and determined what WE need to do to insure we get to continue to inhabit this planet. So it isn't science that is going to do anything. It's US Arne. US. The human race. We're fucking it up and we need to stop. I'd be curious to find out what you've done to minimize your carbon footprint?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  13. brucep Valued Senior Member

I'm guessing it's going to be pretty interesting if they stick with the relativistic concepts.

14. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

the flawed element in anything is the human element.

15. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

Humans are essential element of this universe, not because we are humans but because like other species in the universe both biological and not, we have ability to have consciousness.

16. brucep Valued Senior Member

It seems to be the case [to a much higher degree] than I could have imagined possible, as a young man, 50 years ago.

17. brucep Valued Senior Member

Humans are not an essential element of this universe. We're an element like everything else in the universe. But certainly not essential. Thinking we're essential is a big part of our problem.

18. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

Anthropocentrism
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropocentrism

anthropocentric-
    " 1. treating humans as preeminent: regarding humans as the universe's most important entity
    2. from point of view of humankind: seeing things in human terms, especially judging things according to human perceptions, values, and experiences "

19. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

you both missed the emphasis of my quote. I am referencing to humans as vessels of consciousness. Consciousness is the most important entity of this universe.

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Oh Jesus, are you a proponent of the flawed notion that consciousness creates reality through some quantum mumbo jumbo?

21. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Why is that? As an actor, I find him among the top echelon of actors from an era when we had real actors.
    And I am really intrigued by his pronounced 'cockney" accent,

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

No its not. We as a species, if we are to survive, will most certainly need to spread our seed.
    Plus of course the need to know and go where no bastard as ever gone before.

22. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

look into melanie boly's work

23. brucep Valued Senior Member

And why are 'vessels of consciousness' important to the existence of the universe?