No One Helped A Muslim Teen

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by StrangerInAStrangeLand, Jul 24, 2014.

1. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

No One Helped A Muslim Teen When A Man Spat On Her, Called Her A Terrorist: Reports

April 10, 2014

(Huffington Post)

A man on board a New York City bus allegedly spat on a 15-year-old Muslim girl on Tuesday, pushed her, and called her a “terrorist.” DNAinfo reports police are investigating the incident as a hate crime.

The teen was wearing a traditional headscarf Tuesday morning while riding the Q88 bus on her way to school in Kew Gardens Hills, Queens. According to The New York Post, she accidentally brushed her bag against the man, sending him into a hate-filled tirade.

The man, who is described as a 5-foot-7 middled-aged white man, allegedly raised his fist at the teen, threatening her. “He kept cursing, ‘terrorist’ and stuff,” she told ABC News, who didn’t identify her at the request of her family. “He kept cursing and ‘Oh, you Muslim piece of s***, you’re a terrorist.’”

According to the Post, the scared teen responded by calling her attacker a “piece of s***,” prompting him to allegedly say, “Do you think I’m afraid to hit you? I will kill you.”

Although the man allegedly pushed the girl, spat on her three times, called her a terrorist, and threatened to kill her, she says no one on the bus helped her.

“They were laughing,” she told ABC of her fellow passengers. “What if that were your daughter? Wouldn’t you stand up for her?”

The man reportedly got off the bus when it stopped along Kissena Boulevard near Queens College.

mindy1 • 3 months ago

Pathetic, but as someone who takes NYC public transportation I would be reluctant to intervene, if only because you never know who will turn on you. That being said, to hear of other passengers laughing is disturbing. Even if you can't help, don't make it worse.

Friend of Bosnia • 3 months ago

Sorry about the language and the anger, but to attack a defenseless child - and that nobody helped her, on the contrary, they laughed...the only thing for evil to happen is that good people do nothing...
    I'm so angry to know that; and the worst part is, I'm actually praying that if I witness such a thing I intervene without hesitation, but...not so sure how well I could stand a fist fight, I'm no longer in my twenties, alas. Yet, how to intervene in such a situation; how to prevent getting slapped in my face as well, should I get myself a taser, or a gun, or what?

Friend of Bosnia • 3 months ago

It's so typical. II have seen such things before. I said it elsewhere, and I'll repeat it, I'm not a particularly violent person but if I'm on a bus or subway with my daughter (she's 12) and anyone dares attack her for what we are, then he will regret it.
    Somebody should have punched that moron idiot dunderhead in his face till it bled. Now what? Should I get my daughter a can of tear gas/peper spray and tell her to use it if she ever has to face such a son of a b

Carlos Danger • 3 months ago

Face the facts, Muslims have no future in the US. The same goes for other religious/cultural minorities who don't fit in with the Fox News worldview. Most of the American population has been brainwashed into hating Muslims and anyone else who is "different".

Anonymous > Carlos Danger • 3 months ago

Unfortunately the same thing happened to American-Japanese during WW2, especially after pearl harbour.
    Its a case of people failing to learn from history and are thus doomed to repeat it.

http://nypost.com/2014/04/08/nypd-hunts-for-man-who-threatened-to-kill-muslim-teen/

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

No, it's primarily Muslims, not just anyone who is different. And my people have not been "brainwashed" into this attitude. Maybe the commentator has conveniently forgotten the three thousand people who were killed by Muslim terrorists on Sept. 11, 2001, but we have not--and probably never will.

I live in the Washington region where I encounter Muslims every day, and I can say without any intention of cliché or exaggeration that some of my best friends actually are Muslims. I know that more than 99% of Muslims do not approve of terrorism and do not hate Jews or Israel. I also know that the vast majority of Muslim women in America do not dress extremely; I'd guess that more than half don't even wear the head scarf.

But people who don't live in a cosmopolitan city may never get a chance to meet a Muslim personally. All they remember is 9/11.

This is sad, but certainly understandable.

As for Pearl Harbor, we got over that by the expedient method of pounding the holy crap out of Japan and its people--including the only instance in history of deploying nuclear weapons against predominantly civilian targets. We beat the Japanese into humiliation, rewrote their laws and castrated their military--then watched with pride as they reinvented themselves as a Western nation that loves America.

There doesn't seem to be any way to do that to the Muslim nations. Especially since the people in many of them already love America; it's just their governments who don't.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Just over the ridge is an abandoned girlscout camp. A local muslim businessman wanted to rent the old camp and build a muslim youth camp.
    The neighbors went just a little crazy, imagining hordes of inner city muslim teenage boys rampaging in the neighborhood and determined to make the dream of a muslim youth camp not happen. Not to be outdone by morality, they saw no value in a multicultural experience, and vowed to stop the project. One fellow said, "as long as I'm alive, they will never get a building permit past the zoning board". Another had her friend in the IRS start an audit from hell on the muslim man's business. When the muslim tried just building platforms for tents, the zoning board connected neighbor had the county issue a cease and desist order, and had the platforms torn down( nobody actually showed up to dismantle the platforms, but someone did staple "condemned notices" on them. Really crazy fearful actions.
    Poor guy.
    I met with him and found him to be a warm and generous man. He invited me to collect all the firewood I wanted from fallen trees.
    The thing was, that he needed outside funding to bring the thing to fruition, and the more secular he wanted to make it, the more his hardline supporters refused to fund it, and the more religious he wanted to make it, the less he could get from his moderate supporters.
    Meanwhile, panic filled the air, and property values plummeted.
    Some new neighbors managed to buy into the neighborhood at bargain prices.

Finally, our young muslim businessman gave up on his idea and dropped his lease on the property.

So a couple hundred mostly wooded acres with a mile of shoreline along the river lies waiting for someone else to have a dream and use the land for something like the girlscouts, or muslim youth.

Fear of "the other" is an amazing thing------------and does not, usually, bring out the nice in people.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Wow, where was this?
    Poor guy indeed. Then again, I feel he dodged a bullet there.

8. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

No one helped Kitty Genovese either.
    Your attempt to make this a religious thing is merely deflection from an existing problem.

9. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

WHOSE attempt to make this a religious thing???

10. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Johnson county, Iowa
    I live along the fat area("lake") above the dam on the Iowa river.
    The camp included the south slope of the ridge that runs east to west south of me, overlooks a broad section of lake to it's south, and is where one finds the first wild flowers in the spring.
    The "lake" covers all of the low fields of the guy who first homesteaded my land, and those of his brother who homesteaded the south slope.
    Somehow-though i tried to stay out of the fray, I managed to get into the middle of their disputes.
    I've always rather valued multiculturalism, and didn't share in my neighbors' fear of the unknown, so tried to stay neutral.

11. sculptor Valued Senior Member

I think it was Phil Ochs who included her in a song:
    yeh
    :
    [video=youtube;dMeG6dAFqXw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMeG6dAFqXw[/video]

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You mean no one confronted the crazy violent man on the bus? In New York this is just called self defense.