Dr. Toad sends his greetings to the forum

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by Dr_Toad, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

After a long strange struggle with email confirmation, I am finally able to say hello.

I am not a doctor of any sort, though my handle is a combination of some of the nicknames I've had in life. I have some facility with computers and network security, but my interests are as varied as any would-be renaissance man with a limited education.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Hello Trippy, Truck Captain Stumpy, and Declan Lunny! More of you know me as well, but haven't visited my profile.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Looks like you have everything sorted now.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Looks like you have everything sorted now.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Thanks very much for the help! Twice.

8. Truck Captain Stumpy The Right Honourable Reverend Truck Captain Valued Senior Member

Good to see you Dr. Toad!
    so... you have a reputation, eh? LOL

Why would you say limited education? You do better than most people I see posting and talking on-line simply because you want to know where the proof is!

like that specific other site we use... there are members who make grandiose claims and then cannot support them. (I find it hard to believe that a "nuclear engineer" would be so completely computer illiterate, for instance)

just keep asking WHY and asking for proof...

that is how I've been learning here, anyway. That and watching & reading.

PEACE

9. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Welcome to the Sciforums, I am pleased to meet you. :wave:

10. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Thanks, Stoniphi. Captain, I guess I do OK with my high school diploma...

11. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

So seeing as to the return of renowned and respected member of this community, can you possibly, if you have time of course, answer a couple of questions regarding your stay at Sciforums as well as overall expectations of things to come and to learn from interactions on this site? The emphasis under question, would be of course on the topics you plan to focus on as well as any possible insights you might have regarding the quality assurance of the service provided here, whether it is the actual site interface, moderatorship, or member to member interaction. You mention a difficulty in the sign up process, particularly in the email interface process causing an adequately enough major distraction, as per note say, to be an overall possible future concern to be identified and focused on by the more relevant in such topics technical team. So please do elaborate on these difficulties so as to improve the overall constituency of this site and the underlying associated subprocesses that are touched upon due to this event.

12. Truck Captain Stumpy The Right Honourable Reverend Truck Captain Valued Senior Member

there is no shame in your high school diploma. If you want... I can give you some links to sites that will give you the ability to further your education... you may not be able to get a degree with it, but you can learn....

start here: http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm and choose what is interesting to YOU.

I've done this for several courses, from physics to psychology. You don't have to use only ONE site, either! you can find other college's that offer on-line courses for free like MIT... OR you can go to a local college and "Audit" the course. (Some college's might make you pay a fee, some may not. some may give you the ability to audit free if you are a veteran... just talk to the college... you will not get a degree but you WILL learn... )

something else... you may get a certificate of completion upon finishing a course. IF you get enough in the right area, some college's might allow you to "test out" in an area (Called CLEP in the military/here. College Level Examination Procedure. For the classes I did, I had to make HIGHER than an 85% and I would get college credit for the course). I CLEP'ed HALF of my college courses (which required me to pass the course AND submit any required experiments/lab work that was required necessity for the class) and it is how I ended up with a double major

just something to consider, Dr. T! it really IS FUN when you don't HAVE to do it, but enjoy the learning. AND they give you some resources and links to sites to help at the MIT link! :-D

13. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Hi Dr_Tode an Truck Captain Stumpy... Welcome to Sciforums... hope you have fun here

14. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Hi, clueless. Thanks.

Captain, I do things like that from time to time, thanks. Some things just don't go in as quickly as they used to, though. I have no shame in it at all. I was AP in my sophomore year of HS and on up. I have 1.5 years of university, but I burned out on too many hours at once. Organic chemistry, physics, calculus and German, plus required courses proved too much for me in my second year..

15. billvon Valued Senior Member

Well then hello Mr. Toad! (a name that is perhaps even more famous.)