Men and facebook

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by alexb123, Jul 16, 2014.

1. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

My OH is training to be a counsellor. So far she has had 3 males clients and all 3 of them have mentioned they hate Facebook. In fact two of them have derogatory names for it, Face-Ache and Face-Pain.

Any thoughts?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Yes. Some of my friends refer to it as "crack book" due to the inability of some folks to stay off it for more than a few minutes at a time.

Personally, I have no use for it. Why? The folks I have 'lost touch with' are folks I do not want in my life, family members inclusive. I have a real - world 'face book' wherein I actually stand in front of my friends and talk with them directly. If I don't 'like' something they say I tell them rather than 'unfriending' them. My real world experience is sufficient for my social needs at this time.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

I didn't know it had anything to do with being male, but I think Facebook was spawned in hell by that fallen angel who runs the place. I know that women like to network moreso than men, and that's good and natural, and of course, men need to network on occasion too, but man or woman, no one needs Facebook. I don't get why I need to know that 2,456 people like Andy Snot's new booger joke, or why anyone would want to see the photo albums of total strangers. I am with Stoniphi: people I have lost touch with, I have lost touch with for a reason. Often it's just natural for folks to drift apart too.

Also if you look at the 'professional' history of Facebook founder Zuckerman, you will see that he is and was and likely will go on being one of the biggest jerkface assholes on the planet. No good can come of anything established by such a person. I say, keep your friends close, and you Facebook friends unfriended.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I think it's mainly due to a persons age.

the concept of Facebook to my knowledge was based upon College year books in the US with the difference that it's electronic and you can keep using it even after you left college. Age in this respect meant anyone that had already passed that point of having college "friends" would likely not have the same bonding with people through facebook as those that were young enough to. While Facebook still allowed a "friends reunited" factor, the reality was/is that most people move on through their lives and can't necessarily connect the way they once did with the friends they once had. (This is why people can have thousands of followers but actually not really talk to any of them.)

Personally I found a lot of negative points about Facebook, for instance the mishmash of Friends, Friends of Friends and Family is itself messy. Sometimes those friends we had are people that our families might not of been appreciative of and might have wild stories that should never see the light of day.

Incidentally women tend to be more socialite compared to men, if it was up to a man he'd rarely move from his man cave for anything.

I also found that Facebook has a habit of DDoSing various routers through the equivalent of a "Ping of Death" attack, this is caused by the heavy use of AJAX on the website and the addition of the Chat/Wall updating methods (It's a good reason to ban Facebook from Office networks, people have their own phones and phone connections they can use to access it if they really want to.)

Furthermore the Advertisement system applied I would class as a Breach of Human Rights, for one they could be advertise of barely teenage girls advertising dating sites, for the other is potentially attempts of product placement to general a false inflated need for a product that a person doesn't want, doesn't buy and lastly can't afford. It's inhumane in the sense that if you are at that poverty level where you struggle to feed yourself but you are then subjected to adverts that show food, it's a kind of subliminal torture. (Incidentally I'm not actual at that point, it's an example)

The original concept of Advertisement is to "Inform of a product" not to "Brainwash", in recent years the latter is more and more prolific.

8. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

Interesting thanks. Yes I do think it's a generational thing and things will change over time. For instance me and the OH once thought we should cutback our net use, then the smart phone was invented and now we seem to accept if we are awake we are online.

I guess FB is like anything it needs to be handled correctly and sensibly.

9. scorpius a realist Valued Senior Member

My my looks like someone is bit jealous of that dudes success!!LLL

Never judge a book by its cover or people by their looks,the nerdy looking kid made pretty good coin,I admire anyone who can accomplish such greatness..

10. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

I meant his character, as shown in the film 'Social Network' especially. I don't admire, nor am I envious, of someone who is so poor (richly lacking any decency or morals). Any one can be rich if they're ready to sacrifice moral decency. I am not saying I am a master programmer with innovative (if not morally questionable) ideas, but surely I may have achieved 'financial greatness' had I been so completely lacking in upright character. I am not boasting. I am certain you, scorpius, and all our friends here at SciForum are just as upstanding as I , and not nearly as rich as Zuckerberg. We do not count our wealth in filthy lucre and gilded fame.

To rephrase the good Dr. M.L. King: I do not judge men by the nerdiness of their looks, but by the quality of their character.

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I'm 70 years old and I log onto Facebook every day.

Many of my friends communicate only on Facebook or in person. They never phone or e-mail. The reason is that they only have to say something once, instead of having to repeat it twelve times.

Sure, there's a lot of silly stuff on Facebook, but some of it is very entertaining. I love cats and polar bears.

12. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

So do I. Which is probably a primary reason I'd never be so stupid as to assume a supposedly biographical movie is the final arbiter on a person's character, moreso when the subject of said movie has been quoted as saying about the only thing they got right was his clothes.
    Dr King, by the way, was a notorious womaniser who might have been up on several rape charges were he not Dr King. Or so some say. I'll just assume they got his clothes right in that movie as well.

I hope you'll forgive me for not taking into account any thoughts you might have in the future regarding the assessment of character. Particularly when they're the result of you having watched a movie that one time. Just pay attention to the appearances. They do tend to get those pretty much right, it would seem.

13. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

Well, Zuckerberg would say that, wouldn't he? Perhaps, you are being a bit naive?

You are making a few assumptions yourself: first, that I am basing my opinion of MZ solely on that film. How could you possibly know that? Secondly, as I've said just above: that one can assume what MZ says about the film is true. How could you know that? Thirdly that MLK was a notorious womanizer. All right, I had never heard that, and I did just google it and a lot of people believe it's true, but that doesn't necessarily make it so. However, MLK's character is way off topic. I was merely joke-quoting him to make fun of nerds. So let's leave MLK out of this.

The original topic is asking the male reaction to FaceBook. I am male, and have said I have never liked it, and that I had no idea that was a 'male thing'. I disliked it knowing nothing of its founder. The whole FB concept I find repellent, where formerly I just found friendster, and such sites, boring and pointless. If you're really interested, I woke up from a long nap on a long flight and saw Social Network from somewhere way past the beginning. I had no idea it was the new movie everyone was talking about (Nice flight showing the latest flicks, hunh? That's rare). I thought it was a movie about some jerkoff asshole and what a jerkoff asshole he indeed was. So I switched it off after a while wondering why anyone would make or even watch such a film. Weeks later when I realized what it was it reaffirmed my suspicions of the unwholesomeness of FaceBook.

So it is FaceBook I can't stand (as per the OP) and when I tell people this tale of my introduction to Zuckerberg, they generally agree and add an anecdote they have heard or read that supports this view. And many of these people love FaceBook!

What then is up with you coming out of nowhere making assumptions, accusing me of making assumptions that you only assume I have made, and condemning my assessment of character when you cannot possibly know enough about me or what I've experienced, and then making yet another assumption that I cannot possibly assess character properly in the future?

I've always found your posts amusing and wondered why you weren't around more often. Now, I've lost interest in your opinions and have begun to question your tendency to jump to conclusions.

14. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I think the discussion of who Facebook appeals to and what it actually does is being lost as a topic, please guys don't start flaming at each other, we can still be civil here even if some of the other subforum's get a bit heated. (This is just a request take it as you will)

15. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Hubby joined Facebook when his sister came down with cancer because it was a way for all of the family to stay in touch while she fought this most horrible battle. He also used it to find a friend who had moved to Japan and the two of them have stayed in touch since they relocated each other, but not through Facebook. He closed the account after the death of his sister. I have never joined FB and do not foresee doing so in the future. Science forums are my preferred venue and I belong to a few.

I have three brothers and two of them apparently are on Facebook while the third has little use for on-line networking. He prefers to socialize in 3-D. I really cannot comment on whether men have a different take on FB than women. Apparently men are very active on dating sites from conversations with the girls at work. That rather makes sense as a dating site would be more goal specific than what I understand FB to be.
    Just my two cents...thanks for reading. :wave:

16. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

Facebook is good for only small period of time, once it becomes a drug it kills. Its like morphine, first helps and soothes, than kills.

17. danshawen Valued Senior Member

This is an interesting thread. I'm one of those people who are simply not meant to have an account on Facebook. I tried it and was instantly repulsed. I'm simply not social by nature. I even take the sports pages out of the newspaper and discard all of them before reading a word. Until I learned to dance (with some considerable effort), I had almost no social life of any kind. My dance instructor still comments to her students how radical a change this was in my case, and my fellow dance students who knew me from the beginning can also attest to this.

Mark Zuckerberg is a genius in one respect. A large portion of human intellect is typically concerned with modeling the social behavior of acquaintances, co-workers, and potential mates. This predisposition can be exploited with ease, using the proper marketing techniques. Most people have no problem with the incessant march of previously familiar faces, old acquaintances, lost relatives, employers, or whatever. To me, this is an abomination so discordant with my nature, I left Facebook after one day, quit the technology class that required me to use it, and completely dropped out of the teacher prep program I was in which had the course as a prerequisite.

I find google+ to be far better in terms of tailoring my social contacts to eliminate the "pushy social" aspects of Facebook. Here is one person who will likely not become addicted to knowing what everyone and anyone they know is doing every minute of the day. For people who fall victim to this abomination, I am very sorry to hear of your affliction. I suggest you all leave and try dancing. I could care less if Mark Zuckerberg goes flat broke, but he can always do the same.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014