Consciousness as Hologram

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Spellbound, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Spellbound Banned Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The theory that reality, as we consciously experience it, is not real, goes back to ancient indigenous people who believed we exist in a dream or illusion. In our current timeline, we refer to the matrix, grids, virtual reality, simulation and hologram. Today many physicists are researching the concept of the universe as a hologram.

The universe is a consciousness hologram. Reality is projected illusion within the hologram. It is a virtual experiment created in linear time to study emotions. Our hologram is composed of grids created by a source consciousness brought into awareness by electromagnetic energy at the physical level. The hologram is created and linked through a web, or grid matrixes based on the patterns of Sacred Geometry. The hologram had a beginning and it has an end, as consciousness evolves in the alchemy of time. As the grids collapse, everything within the hologram will end, helping to understand what is going on in the world today.

In media we find films, television shows, books, and games, based on the concept of reality as a hologram. Among the more easily recognized are The Matrix (Illusion), The Thirteenth Floor (Simulation), Inception (Dream), the Holodeck (Grids) in the TV series Star Trek, Second Life an Internet game, and The Holographic Universe a 1991 book by Michael Talbot (see his theories below).

The Holographic Universe

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

That's only in the context of the holographic principle. The rest could be subsumed under "holographic mysticism".

David Bohm used the hologram as one of the analogies for his philosophical imp/exp order. But it's curiously only his "pilot-wave" interpretation of QM that seems to have an entry in the SEP.

Instrumentalism POV: ...Treating the universe as a hologram might sound like just a nifty mathematical trick, with little relevance to reality. But if holographic techniques can be applied to de Sitter space, they can also be used to make predictions about patterns etched in the cosmic microwave background (CMB), the relic radiation left over by the big bang." http://www.fqxi.org/community/articles/display/138

Realism POV: ...Andrew Strominger, a string theorist at Harvard University, is one of a number of physicists who surprisingly agree with the guru in this ancient story—just swap the word "maya" for "holographic" and you’re there. About ten years ago, Strominger had an outlandish idea. He mused that our universe is an image projected backwards in time from a hologram located at the boundary of the cosmos, in the infinite future. As the image projects into the past, it fades away, becoming grainy and undefined, eventually fading to nothing. It’s a bizarre notion, but over the past decade it has been gaining ever more credence, especially within the mathematical framework devised by string theorists. If correct, it could help explain how the universe, and time as we know it, came from nothing, as well as helping in the quest to unite quantum mechanics—the theory that governs particles on the small scale—and general relativity—which describes the large-scale cosmos—into one overarching theory of quantum gravity. "It’s one of the most speculative things I’ve ever worked on," admits Strominger. "But if it turns out to be right, then it’s one of the most interesting things I’ve ever done." http://www.fqxi.org/community/articles/display/176

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wellwisher Banned Banned

A holograph is formed via coherent laser light being split and then recombined as interference patterns. What that symbolically means is reality comes to us as a coherent wave of truth. A hologram does not use this raw signal of reality, directly. Rather this is split, with part going through the filters of the human mind. This is connected to theory and concepts. The two streams recombine to form interference patterns from which the hologram appears. Reality is part real and part imaginary, based on the filters of the mind, which when blended back into one, via interference, interweaves conceptual dream with truth. When the hologram is gone, is when we have reality, since there is no signal splitter being used.

For example, at one time the sun moved around the earth in terms of the community hologram. The raw data from the heavens comes to the eyes which shows the apparent movement of the sun. This raw data signal from space has always been and has all the truth. The difference was the splitter back then, used different filters of the mind. The theory of the sun moving around the earth, merged with the raw visual data, to create a holographic reality based on a subtle merger of neural processing analogous to interference patterns of the mind.

Since a hologram is used to generate 3-D images of objects, there is a connection to the right side of the brain. The right brain deals with emotions, among other things, with a feeling of conviction appearing when reality and imagination create interference patterns leading to 3-D holograms.

Two schools of thought, about the same phenomena, will both see the same raw data. The splitter is where they differ, since this impacts how the raw data will reflect off the object investigated in the lab; it could be quarks or strings. What remains the same for both is the feeling of conviction from the 3-D right brain. There is no rule of science that requires calibration of the interference patterns of collective holograms. This is because most theories of the mind, are themselves generating holograms.

The mind is the last frontier, with its collective holograms, preventing the removal of the splitter that interferes with the truth in other areas of science, leading to holograms being the basis for collective wisdom. This make the universe "appear " like a hologram.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Spellbound Banned Valued Senior Member

Consciousness is Holographic

In a holographic universe, there is nothing that cannot be holographic. This includes the metaphysical mind and consciousness as well as the physical energy and vibration. Given the always-and-only coexisting nature of these phenomena — energy and consciousness (not accepted as always-and-only coexisting in mainstream science, but a working assumption here) — we must consider the relationship of subjective consciousness to the apparent objective cosmos within the holographic model.

The nature of the Unified Field is that of a ubiquitous zero-phase (no fluctuation) of energy in a state of perfect, undifferentiated equilibrium. This is not a static field, though. There is a constant movement throughout the field, just as laser light is coherent while photons move along the beam. Consciousness is of the same nature. There is a unified field of consciousness that is at its source in a state of perfect equilibrium and coherence (the same Unified Field we’re referring to energetically, in fact); the “zero-phase of positive and negative asymmetries that propagate the differentials of consciousness” as correlates to how Bucky Fuller describes the Vector Equilibrium (Synergetics, 440.01). It is from this absolutely coherent source field of consciousness in pure potential that all thoughts and feelings arise. The nature of this field is equally holographic, wherein all localized expression of consciousness is simultaneously present at every point in the cosmos, and all the information of all consciousness is present in each point as well. It is the reciprocal relationship of the localized and the universal consciousness that manifests order, balance and integrity throughout the entire cosmos instantly. This is Bohm’s reciprocal relationship of the implicate and explicate orders.

Cosmometry: Exploring the Fractal Holographic Nature of the Cosmos

CC,

Reality is a unified field or universal consciousness according to this. Do you have anything to say about this?

8. wellwisher Banned Banned

When we create holograms in the lab, a single beam of coherent laser light is split, so it can interact with the object. The two signals are then recombined to create interference patterns from which the hologram appears. The brain does this in the sense that we have two sides of the brain; left and right brains, with each side of the brain processing data differently. The left brain is more differential and the right brain is more integral. The left brain finds the slope of a curve at a given point; differential theory. While the right side finds the area under the curve from A to B; unified theory. What our consciousness gets is the merger hologram as the two sides of the brain recombine. I would guess the physical reason is connected to the how the eyes are wired into the brain as shown below; split, cross, merge.

As an analogy, say the right brain is trying to integrate the forces of nature. The right brain gave Einstein the intuition of the unified theory, where all the forces (area under the curve) from nuke to electromagnetic forces, are defined by one equation. The left brain which is more differential will look for the slope at a given point and will have separate equations for each force.

These approaches both express force, but they are not exactly the same. Since the left brain output is more compact and easy to do (smaller bite size pieces) we may except that as truth because it appears more humanly universal. But this conclusion will not work for those more conscious of the right brain, causing many people to keep looking for the truth within the right brain; unified theory.

Religion is right brained and unifies reality with the concept of god. While science is right brain and will use more of a speciality approach to define each slope on the curve of knowledge. The hologram attempts to reconcile and combine both. In the case of evolution, the left brain science theory takes on the dogmatic appeal of a religion which can't handle free thinking.

The hologram analogy is a projection of what is inside the brain, making the process conscious by appearing to be outside. Cultures often reflect the split in the data processing with both sides (of the brain/issue) offering conviction, since what they believe is true to the side of the brain they favor. The Agnostic looks for a path in the middle that does not deny either side of the holographic interference, but accepts the interference patterns; esoteric.

9. Spellbound Banned Valued Senior Member

Reality is about both. (Right and left brains).

10. Write4U Valued Senior Member

The more we learn the more I realize how advanced David Bohm's work was.
    http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/David Bohm

11. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

"Consciousness" is an umbrella term that has a host of attributes under it which only brains / bodies currently exhibit the whole collection of. So asserting that the entire complex troupe of "C" has a ubiquitous range -- as opposed to any primal precursors those features might have ["proto-consciousness"] -- seems to be wading about, again, in mysticism circles.

The New Age movement seized upon Bohm's later philosophical literature as soon as it got out of the starting gate. Since so much of what's on the web is contaminated with or filtered through that stuff, for the sake of avoiding any misconstruing liberties [by the latter] one should seek quotes and interviews of Bohm himself. Along with his correspondence associate Basil Hiley.

Apparently, as far as its connection to consciousness goes, Bohm/Hiley's proposal falls under the classification of dual aspectism. There's such a shortage of specifics (only a broad idea) that this SEP entry simply leaps over it to Pauli and Jung's more elaborated propositions: "While the proposal by Bohm and Hiley essentially sketches a conceptual framework without further details, particularly concerning the mental domain, the suggestions by Pauli and Jung offer some more material to discuss..."

Interview of Hiley

Old Interview of Bohm

Bohm: Yes. The notion of permanent identity would go by the wayside. This would be terrifying at first. The present mind, identified as it is with the personality, would react to protect the sense of personal "self" against that terror.

Omni: That seems to fit in well with your thoughts about death.

Bohm: Death must be connected with questions of time and identity. When you die, everything on which your identity depends is going. All things in your memory will go. Your whole definition of what you are will go. The whole sense of being separate from anything will go because that's part of your identity. Your whole sense of time must go. Is there anything that will exist beyond death? That is the question everybody has always asked. It doesn't make sense to say something goes on in time. Rather I would say everything sinks into the implicate order, where there is no time. But suppose we say that right now, when I'm alive, the same thing is happening. The implicate order is unfolding to be me again and again each moment. And the past me is gone.

Omni: The past you, then, has been snatched back into the implicate order.

Bohm: That's right. Anything I know about "me" is in the past. The present "me" is the unknown. We say there is only one implicate order, only one present. But it projects itself as a whole series of moments. Ultimately, all moments are really one. Therefore now is eternity.

In one sense, everything, including me, is dying every moment into eternity and being born again, so all that will happen at death is that from a certain moment certain features will not be born again. But our whole thought process causes us to confront this with great fear in an attempt to preserve identity. One of my interests at this stage of life is looking at that fear.

12. Spellbound Banned Valued Senior Member

CC,

"Mysticism" does not necessarily equate to "incorrect", "invalid" or "unintelligent". I believe in evil and I also believe that a person's identity can be replaced or intercepted by another one. Religions refer to it as possession. For instance, there's this website on the internet that utilizes words to claim itself as honest and genuine but at the same time uses images to create fear and confusion. And every time I read this website unsuspectingly I believe it is okay but then at night I get nightmares of demons attempting to possess me where if I do not fight them off successfully I get possessed in my dream and I take on the characteristics and personality of the demons themselves. Thankfully, I always fight them off successfully.

13. Spellbound Banned Valued Senior Member

CC,

Reality is evil as well as good (as implied in my post just above)?

14. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Actually reality is implaccable and is neither good nor bad. It is a function of quantum. What you experience is your relationship with reality through your "mirror neural network". It can play some neat tricks on you.

15. zgmc Registered Senior Member

Do you ever get the feeling that you are controlling the actions of others, or that somehow your thoughts are controlling events?

16. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Setting aside this assorted holographic contrarianism of every part perversely containing the larger whole it was a member of (and thus every part would contain all instances of earthly humans, extraterrestrials, etc)...

Good and evil don't apply to the vast non-social territories of the cosmos. Such an objective world is presented in subjective experiences and the understanding of it comes from subjects (i.e., its manifestation, description, and reasoned evidence for it depend upon conscious agents). Accordingly, the former's events and circumstances can be misunderstood or have varied interpretations and relativistic meanings by a perceiving / thinking agent; but its underlying governance always outruns the latter. The person has to conform to the habits of nature; not nature conforming to the survival / social interests, biased meanings and wishes of the specific person.

Long before Plato's philosophy, ancient Greek culture had its own penchant for regarding generalized ideas or concepts (like good/evil) as being the regulating provenances of concrete particular things and events (i.e., the immaterial engenders / controls the material). To the extent of believing that some of the former's physical instantiations or embodied showings could be human-like deities: Ares (war), Demeter (harvest), Hermes (communication), Aphrodite (love), etc.

But even for Aristotle's mentor, the abstract forms of good/evil as phenomenally expressed in the sensible world were apparently only applicable to the affairs of rational, moralizing agents -- or how they felt about something. Not to rocks, weather, oceans, supernovas, galaxies, etc. "Nothing good or evil worth considering befalls that which has no soul [intellect / sentience]. Only to a soul either in the body or separated from it can good or evil occur." --Plato's Seventh Letter (Plato: The Collected Dialogues, Edited by Edith Hamilton & Huntington Cairns)

That and the rest of which as a side venture inadvertently grazes a historical curiosity: Where Christianity got either the extra-biblical or the extra-Judean belief in a dualistic immortal soul.

Plato continuing: "...We must at all times give our unfeigned assent to the ancient and holy doctrines which warn us that our souls are immortal, that they are judged, and that they suffer the severest punishments after our separation from the body. Hence we must also hold it a lesser evil to be victims of great wrongs and crimes than to be doers of them. The man who crams his moneybags while his soul starves does not listen to these doctrines, or, if he does, he laughs them to scorn, as he supposes, and on every side ruthlessly snatches like a beast whatever he hopes will provide him with food and drink or the satisfaction of that brutal and gross pleasure that has no right to be called by a name derived from the goddess Aphrodite. He is blind and does not see that consequences attend the abominable wickedness of his acts of violence, for each wrongdoing adds the weight to a burden which the sinner must drag with him, not only while he lives his life on earth, but after he has returned to the underworld whence he came— a journey unhonored and miserable altogether and always."

Quotes from a couple of interviews Nancey Murphy was involved in.

QUESTION: ...Some would say the dualistic view was never a biblical view to begin with, though it has long been part of Christian tradition. Do you agree?

NANCEY MURPHY: I follow New Testament scholar James Dunn in holding that the biblical authors were not interested in cataloguing the metaphysical parts of a human being -- body, soul, spirit, mind. Their interest was in relationships. The words that later Christians have translated with Greek philosophical terms and then understood as referring to parts of the self originally were used to designate aspects of human life. For example, spirit refers not to an immaterial something but to our capacity to be in relationship with God, to be moved by God’s Spirit. It is widely agreed that the Hebrew Bible presents a holistic account of human nature, somewhat akin to contemporary physicalism. The New Testament authors certainly knew various theories of human nature, including dualism, but it was not their purpose to teach about this issue.

- - - - - - - -

ROBERT KUHN: But you certainly believe that people who have died, as Christians at this point are dead, they’re unconscious, they’re non-conscious, they don't exist until they may or may not be resurrected in the future.

NANCEY MURPHY: Right, there is no part of us that continues to exist after death.

ROBERT KUHN: And that God would have to resurrect the body and recreate your thought patterns.

NANCEY MURPHY: Basically, yes, re-create us in a different form, a whole different world, because otherwise we would be equally subject to corruption and decay as we are in this life.

17. Spellbound Banned Valued Senior Member

Really? Not so. Reality is indeed either evil or good.

PS: I just saw CC's post. This is great. I will read it later.

Edit: I just read CC's post and now I am reconsidering my statement.

18. Spellbound Banned Valued Senior Member

Before CC's last post I believed that much of the affairs of man were included in reality and that behaviors of peoples can have an affect on their environments such as rocks, plants and the rest of the living world. But now I see that the affairs and behaviors of man are divorced from their realities and a lot of the so-called effects exist within the human psyche and not in the real world.

19. Spellbound Banned Valued Senior Member

Not really, no.

20. Spellbound Banned Valued Senior Member

I wonder if we were to commit an evil action or do something good whether or not the universe will "know" it and respond to it at some point in time, meaning that good and evil are more than just imagination. I.e. that good and evil acts get processed and subsequently responded to by reality and are therefore real. Does anyone consider this as a possibility besides me?

21. Spellbound Banned Valued Senior Member

CC:

The holographic principle is a property of string theories and a supposed property of quantum gravity that states that the description of a volume of space can be thought of as encoded on a boundary to the region preferably a light-like boundary like a gravitational horizon. First proposed by Gerard 't Hooft, it was given a precise string-theory interpretation by Leonard Susskind[1] who combined his ideas with previous ones of 't Hooft and Charles Thorn.[1][2] As pointed out by Raphael Bousso,[3] Thorn observed in 1978 that string theory admits a lower-dimensional description in which gravity emerges from it in what would now be called a holographic way.

In a larger sense, the theory suggests that the entire universe can be seen as a two-dimensional information structure "painted" on the cosmological horizon, such that the three dimensions we observe are an effective description only at macroscopic scales and at low energies. Cosmological holography has not been made mathematically precise, partly because the cosmological horizon has a finite area and grows with time.[4][5]

The Holographic Principle - Wikipedia.

Reality is a boundary of space?

22. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I'll take a stab at this, but my response only applies to your question as you posed it.

First you must be able to define "good' and "evil". Keep in mind that these terms do not apply to how universal laws function, only to the behaviors of people.

Good, Evil, Love, Hate, Morals, none of these terms apply to the universe. THE UNIVERSE DOES NOT CARE, it cannot care, it is a machine. Your question is like asking if my computer knows if I am an evil person or a good person and if it will punish me or reward me for my personal behavior. As I said before, to the universe we are no more important than an ant.

You are assuming that the universe "knows" the difference between right and wrong. But universal laws only function with mathematical precision with an underlying principle that any action begets a reaction, i.e. the law of "cause and effect", but these universal functions (constants) do not have any sense of moral obligation, only mathematical precision.

There is only change from one state (condition) into another state (condition). The universe makes NO moral decisions.
    The earth was born from the total destruction of a star. Good, Evil, or just Change?

George Carlin tells the tale in no uncertain terms (albeit with crude language).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W33HRc1A6c

23. Spellbound Banned Valued Senior Member

So good and evil exist in what some call the "human condition" and not in reality? I.e. the universe does not know or care whether or not we are good or evil?