Please help: Looking for simple home exercise machine.

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by fieldsofrapture, Jul 9, 2014.

1. fieldsofrapture Registered Member

Hi.

I know very little about exercise. I rather stay at home instead of go the gym. So I need a decent machine. I do aerobics, but I don't actually do any weight training.

So I'm looking for a simple cost-effective 1-person exercise machine that will make it easy for me. I really don't like bench lifting. And I rather have some kind of machine than exercise with my body. So it would be good to have a decent exercise machine that can do the whole job. And a plan.

Please if anybody is well versed in self fitness, I really need to get in shape to have alot of energy for a very physically intensive activity coming up in a few months. And I can barely do a pushup. Am I screwed?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Deja View Registered Member

Most muscles and fitness can be done without machines. Your problem is disciplinary and motivation oriented. If you want something for in front of the tv I'd suggest step aerobic style activities with a mild step type platform which could be many things.

Diet, Hormone Pills, and eating healthy are likely your best bets if you are lazy.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=...jump-ropes.html?trk=1600595753&kw=&adtype=pla

Maintain your balance by looking straight ahead.
    Maintain an upright posture.
    Maintain your weight on the balls of your feet.
    Jump only high enough to clear the rope (approx. 1 inch off the ground).
    Land lightly on the balls of your feet.
    Keep your elbows near your sides.
    Maintain your elbow joints at a 45-degree angle.
    When turning the rope, make 2-inch circles with your wrists.
    Do not sacrifice good form for speed.

http://www.realsimple.com/health/fitness-exercise/15-minute-jump-rope-workout-00000000051686/

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. fieldsofrapture Registered Member

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

9. fieldsofrapture Registered Member

Maybe if I'm more advanced. The reason I was looking for a machine is because I have a hard time exercising normally. And just exercising with myself using things that stick to doors or other objects like that is awkward for me.

10. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Try going for a 1/2 hour walk through a local park or around the block after dinner every day or every other day. Make it a habit. Nothing to buy, nothing unattainable to most of us and the benefits are immense.

11. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

My mother used to say, "If people would walk to the gym instead of driving, they wouldn't have to go to the gym."

12. Truck Captain Stumpy The Right Honourable Reverend Truck Captain Valued Senior Member

@fieldsofrapture
    You seem to enjoy the aerobics, perhaps you should consider similar types of training: like Video Tai Chi, martial arts, etc?
    There is also the possibility that you could look into exercise programs that people "invent" that use what is around them: buckets of water, canned goods, the axe/wood chopping, a chair
    Some programs are sold/given to people in various formats and target busy moms, executives, people who fly a lot (exercises you can do in a plane seat to stretch and keep the blood moving, etc)

you could look into those and either use one that is already available or do something of the sort on your own.
    Lifting a bucket with water in it at full extension (with a slight bend at the elbow to keep it from locking) straight out in front of you, for instance, works the shoulders.
    reverse crunches/crunches on a bed/couch

there is a lot you CAN do without a gym OR device.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  13. fieldsofrapture Registered Member

I'm not too good with videos, but I'll definitely be doing the taichi one eventually. I'll start going fot these walks as well.

The whole bucket thing represents exactly what I explained regarding my problem requiring the need for a decent machine. If I could, there are tons of exercises I could do without spending the cash on some kind of machine. If I could do it, I would.

But like I already explained from the original post,I feel more comfortable with some kind of machine. Using free weights and other object type materials are all very awkward for me at my level. Which is why I'm looking for anybody who might have experience using a good machine.

14. Truck Captain Stumpy The Right Honourable Reverend Truck Captain Valued Senior Member

@fieldsofrapture
    Understood about the limitations, but you said without spending cash as well... that is where it gets sticky.
    Unless you find a Nautilus system or a Bow-Flex on sale for a crazy price at Craigs list and it is in perfect condition, then I would suggest going to auctions where Gym's are selling their equipment, or where Banks are selling off equipment from businesses that failed and look for gym equipment. You MIGHT get some stuff for a great price, but you will likely run into people trying to get cheap equipment to start a gym too... with more cash on hand than most normal citizens.
    That is how many gym's get started (going to bank auctions with loan money)

You MAY sometimes be able to find cheap equipment at auctions from estates and persons, since there are times when people pass on or need cash, they put stuff up to be sold at auction (popular in rural areas, at least in the deep south and east coast, as well as central US)

without getting a gym membership, taking a course in martial arts, etc... I don't know what else to suggest other than: sometimes, gyms that are starting up, or gyms that cater specifically to serious bodybuilders/power-lifters can offer reduced rates to newbie's or can offer much lower rates to people because they are not large corp's trying to fit a lot of customer satisfying extra stuff into the membership (like pools, spa's etc). you CAN find some cheap gyms that pretty much only have lifting equipment.

sorry that I could not be of more help.

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

We have the Total Fitness Gym that is marketed by Chuck Norris. It's surprisingly effective and it is just as small and convenient as the commercials say. And Norris is just as honorable as his characters on TV and in movies. A weld broke on one of the attachments, so we wrote to the company and asked for a new attachment. Instead, they sent us an entire new appliance--free.

Get one of those, plus a good exercycle or treadmill, and you'll have a very good home exercise room.

Disclaimer: I have no commercial relationship with Chuck Norris or the Total Fitness Gym. I just like it.

16. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

For cheap and simple I suggest the floor. Push ups, squats, situps and crunches will do everything you want.

17. heytogi Registered Member

I agree with you Bob! Yep! Its the best habit to get, low cost and efficiency, cause after a few months you really feel the results, in your posture even!
    I encourage my in laws to start taking walks after meals, and they saw a big difference after 2 weeks only (they're in their 80's, and suffering of parkinson, and other health problems) plus its giving someone something to do outside, and meet other people too! All good struff from that!
    Go on people, walk your strech!!!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

))

18. Sandralove Registered Member

how about a threadmill?

19. fieldsofrapture Registered Member

This is exactly the advice I was looking for. A simple machine that somebody can vouch for.

Amazon actually has a Total Gym section:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_2...=2&sort=price-asc-rank&ie=UTF8&qid=1408047665

Here is one I saw for $220:
    http://www.amazon.com/Total-Gym-C14...sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1408047665&sr=1-27

The cheapest one I saw on the Chuck Norris site is $710:
    http://www.amazon.com/Total-Gym-XLS...sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1408047671&sr=1-39

I'm trying to figure out what you get for $500 more. I don't mind dishing out the extra if it really makes a huge difference.