Rapists

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by cluelusshusbund, Jul 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

What shoud be done to rapist.???

Killed... life in prison... tortured... free to live a normal life if they get completely rehibilated.???

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Defined By Labels Banned Banned

IF able to be proven without a doubt; DNA and video footage and all that jazz. I would completely condone public execution, male or female. I'm sorry and I know I'm completely in the minority here but I don't believe criminals deserve extra rights and protections.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Balerion Banned Banned

What extra rights and protections are you talking about?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Me... i thank a rapist shoud be free to live a normal life if they get completely rehibilated.!!!

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

That's far easier said than done.

9. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

I thank its likely to be posible wit-in 50 years... about the same amount of time it will take for most people to agree wit me... that a "cured" rapist shoud be alowed to live a normal life.!!!

10. fieldsofrapture Registered Member

Crimes should have just punishments. Imprisonment usually is the best form of punishment. I don't think any crime justifies executing somebody. Taking somebody's life isn't right no matter who's life you're taking.

11. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Say the rapist had a brain tumer which caused an uncontrolable urge to rape... an when it was removed he was back to his old pleasant self... does he still deserve punishment... or insted perhaps... deserve sympathy for the illness he endured.???

12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

The only possible explanation I can think of for something like this would be a tumor that has damaged or somehow rendered inoperable the dorsal fronto-median cortex of the brain (the area suspected to play a large role in self-control and the ability to withold from an action)... but even then, a loss of inhibition SHOULD NOT cause someone to rape... the knowledge of right and wrong should still preclude that.

13. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Its a hypothetical scenario for the purpos of discussion... ie... does a person deserve to be punished for an act which was beyond ther control to resist.???

14. billvon Valued Senior Member

In most cases, no. There's generally no such thing as an "uncontrollable urge to X." There are very strong drives, but with few exceptions, people can control them if they want to.

15. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Can you give an example of one of the "exceptions" you speek of.???

16. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

If it was beyond their control/power to resist, then they would be found not-guilty on the grounds that they were either A) not of sound mind (an interesting one to prove in court) B) Coercion (loved one held hostage at gunpoint, etc) or C) Otherwise unfit to stand trial/know right from wrong (sever mental retardation, etc)

17. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Well sure... we agree on that... ie... even tho a person comits a crime it dont necessarly mean that they deserve punishment... an may even receive sympathy for ther condition.!!!

18. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

See, I'm not quite sure on that... courts today can find someone "not guilty" even if they aren't "innocent"... case in point, a person is deemed unfit to stand trial, even though they know the difference between right and wrong and know what they did was wrong... that kinda outcome just bugs me

19. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Lots of laws can be screwy... so for the purpos of discussion im just talkin about personal opinions of how people shoud be treeted... for example... i dont thank anybody deserves punishment.!!!

20. Bells Staff Member

You don't think they deserve any punishment? I am trying to figure out the whole point of this thread, since only 3 out of 100 rapists get to see the inside of a jail cell:

Only three out of every 100 rapists will ever spend even a single day in prison, according to a new analysis by RAINN of Justice Department data. The other 97 will walk free, facing no consequences for the violent felony they have committed. Because rapists tend to be serial criminals, this leaves communities across the nation at risk of predators.

So I don't quite get why you have started this thread? How should they be treated? Earlier on, you said that some should be pitied.. Frankly, I don't really want to dwell on your desire to pity rapists, so we'll just go with this statement that you don't think anybody deserves punishment..

The heir to the du Pont fortune pled guilty in 2009 to charges of raping his three-year old daughter, but never spent time in jail

Newly released documents reveal that in 2009 a Delaware judge sentenced a wealthy heir to probation after he admitted he had raped his 3-year old daughter, saying the rich white man would “not do well” in prison.

You don't think he deserves any punishment?

He also sexually molested his 19 month old son during the same period. Do you think he deserves some punishment? Or your pity? What about his kids, who he raped and sexually molested? Where is their justice?

How about this guy:

An Alabama man convicted of raping a teenage girl will serve no prison time. On Wednesday, a judge in Athens, Alabama, ruled that the rapist will be punished by serving two years in a program aimed at nonviolent criminals and three years of probation.

In September, a jury in Limestone County, in north central Alabama, found Austin Smith Clem, 25, guilty of raping Courtney Andrews, a teenage acquaintance and his then-neighbor, three times—twice when she was 14, and again when was she was 18.

Clem's defense attorney did not call any witnesses at trial, according to AL.com. After less than two hours of deliberation, the jury returned guilty verdicts against Clem on one count of first-degree rape and two counts of second-degree rape.

According to Clem's sentencing order, which Brian Jones, the Limestone County district attorney, provided to Mother Jones, Clem will serve the first half of his sentence under the supervision of the Limestone County community corrections program. The program is aimed at "redirecting the lives" of nonviolent, low-level offenders who are "likely to maintain a productive and law-abiding life as a result of accountability, guidance and direction to services they need," according to the program's website.

Andrews recalled Clem's crimes to AL.com on Thursday. When he abused her at age 14, she said, "He kept saying, 'This is okay,' and 'Don't say anything or you're going to get me in trouble,'" she said. Clem threatened her parents lives' if she told anyone, Andrews said. After he raped her in 2011, she had a family friend inform her parents. She couldn't bear to, she said, because "I knew it would break their hearts." That night, her parents reported Clem to the police.

Dan Totten, Clem's defense attorney, confirms that Clem is free to live at home during this time period. Jones adds that the program requires Clem to report to his corrections officer on a weekly basis.

"It would seem to be relatively mild," Totten tells Mother Jones. "But [Clem's] lifestyle for the next six years is going to be very controlled…If he goes to a party and they're serving beer, he can't say, 'Can I have one?' If he wanted to go across the Tennessee line, which as the crow flies is eight or nine miles from his house, and buy a lottery ticket, he can't do that…It's not a slap on the wrist."

Aww.. he can't go to a party if there is alcohol there or cross state lines.. Poor him, how awful for him. But the judge sent him home to live with his three little daughters.

Appropriate?

21. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

That is ... pathetic doesn't begin to describe it. Our law system is so screwed up, ugh!

22. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

If someone is "Not of sound mind" it doesn't necessarily mean they walk free, after all if they have proven to be a danger to themselves and others, it actually supports state action to place them into a hospital until they otherwise prove they are capable of looking after themselves while not being a danger to others. During that time they could undergo many psychiatric sessions and be forced to take medications that effect both how their brain responses to various stimuli along with actual physical changes being manifested. (For instance using hormone replacement therapy to reduce sex drive.)

Even after release from such a facility which can be many years after they are initially placed there, they'd still potentially be on watchlist's and one of the first persons to be asked questions if something similar happens in their neighbourhood.

While sometimes it sounds like people walk off lightly, however in some instances when people get wrongly accused they can find their entire lives ruined from being associated as one of these very types of people, it means that rapists will not have an easy life after they have been identified.

23. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

That just has to be another instance of the trolling for which you've become so famous. I suppose you think it's entertaining, but it's really just a big pain in the ass--something we have to scroll past to get to the real discussion.

If we're not allowed to punish people, then how do we reduce crime? For that matter, surely you understand that the mere threat of punishment deters a lot of people from committing crimes.

A society that doesn't punish people for breaking the rules (and threatening them with punishment for merely thinking about breaking them) will soon have a large percentage of its population who don't follow the rules. Before very long it will collapse.

The reason civilization works is that division of labor and economy of scale result in a tremendous surplus of labor, goods and services. Much of this is reinvested in civilization, in research for more efficient and productive ways to do things, in the creation of new resources, and in the diversion of human resources into education so the next generation will have more skills and knowledge.

Without rule enforcement, everyone will have to dedicate a significant portion of his time, effort and other resources into simply protecting ourselves from each other. There won't be any surplus, and in fact we'll end up dissipating our existing surplus--just like the communists did in their fairytale economy which consistently produced a negative surplus. (The Chinese salvaged communism by hybridizing it with their traditional Confucianism and a large dose of capitalism.)

Within a few generations we'll be right back in the Stone Age.

Is that really what you want? Then you need to find a discussion board called Unsci Forums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.