In a double slit experiment it is the dark matter that waves

Discussion in 'Alternative Theories' started by liquidspacetime, Jul 4, 2014.

1. liquidspacetime Banned Banned

'What If There's a Way to Explain Quantum Physics Without the Probabilistic Weirdness?'
    smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/what-if-theres-way-explain-quantum-physics-without-all-probabilistic-weirdness-180951914/#JEoZGUo23dbMGJly.16

"Known as “pilot wave theory” this line of thinking goes that, rather than electrons and other things being both quasi-particles and quasi-waves, the electron is a discrete particle that is being carried along by a separate wave. What this wave is made of no one knows."

'Redefining Dark Matter - Wave Instead Of Particle'
    science20.com/news_articles/redefining_dark_matter_wave_instead_of_particle-139771

"Tom Broadhurst, an Ikerbasque researcher at the University of the Basque Country (UPV/EHU), explains that, "guided by the initial simulations of the formation of galaxies in this context, we have reinterpreted cold dark matter as a Bose-Einstein condensate". So, "the ultra-light bosons forming the condensate share the same quantum wave function, so disturbance patterns are formed on astronomic scales in the form of large-scale waves"."

"This opens up the possibility that dark matter could be regarded as a very cold quantum fluid"

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

Did I hear someone say, "Quantum Wave Function"? That's my daddy, lol.

These kinds of ideas are interesting, and quantum weirdness is ... well, unexplained if you ask about the mechanics of it, so I don't rule out something that tries to talk mechanics of the weirdness. Good way to start a thread out here. Maybe someone will be civil and discuss it with you while I check out the links and think about it.

Here are the articles: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...ithout-all-probabilistic-weirdness-180951914/

http://www.science20.com/news_articles/redefining_dark_matter_wave_instead_of_particle-139771

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. liquidspacetime Banned Banned

'Yves Couder . Explains Wave/Particle Duality via Silicon Droplets [Through the Wormhole]'
    youtube.com/watch?v=W9yWv5dqSKk

'The pilot-wave dynamics of walking droplets'
    youtube.com/watch?v=nmC0ygr08tE

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

Interesting videos.

I had to revise the links:

Through the Wormhole
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9yWv5dqSKk

'The pilot-wave dynamics of walking droplets'
    Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmC0ygr08tE

8. liquidspacetime Banned Banned

thanks

9. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Pilot waves? Is that you Pincho?

edit to add: no it isn't Pincho, it will come to me...

Edit to add: Got it! It's a sock puppet of gravitational_aether, right?

10. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

How could you forget? Anyway, he always has interesting links and discussions if and when the members let them unfold. I think this thread is appropriate here, and I hope that civility can be maintained to at least allow for some initial discussion of the topic. I'm watching the videos and reading about the topic, and learning some things.

11. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Civility is a double edged sword for the cranks. It likes to cut the heart out of moronic nonsense wherever it finds it.

12. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

This thread is placed in the proper sub-forum. Posts should be on topic, instead of meaningless distractions about the person, ignoring the topic. Please try to be civil out here, and if you decide to make a contribution, please respect the rules just like the rest of us have to.

13. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

What are you baiting? Where does all of the presumptive lack of civility come from? How about starting by putting your left foot out before advancing to the Hokey Pokey? First of all, since you seem to be this person's handler, how about clarifying the essential facts? Who said what? The cited authority is a highly published expert, but all of his peer reviewed material (unless this a breakout project) involves more tedious observations in astronomy which serve none of the pro-aether nonsense the cranks are continually peddling. His papers are probably best characterized as avant-garde mainstream science.

So who converted this into the presumptive aether theory I sense dripping from the initial posts? Not Tom Broadhurst, that's fer damn sure!

Besides, when was origin ever wrong about sock puppets? And when was gravitational_aether anything more than another mindless drone from of the endless army of anti-science cranks? That's not a lack of civility. That's a straight reading from the public record of multiple indictments for deliberate intellectual fraud.

(Go origin, speaking of intellectual honesty. Always on top of his game.)

So what exactly is being hijacked here, that's what I would like to know. But I'm not interested in opening a Pandora's Box of pseudoscientific melodrama. Let's just clarify exactly what Broadhurst said and let's immediately isolate it from the crap coming from the crank parasitic leeches gathering at the sight of potential blood.

In short, cut to the quote mining and let's put the crap to bed before it metastasizes. And when did you become shot caller? :bugeye: I'll vie for that slot any day of the week. (when I'm around and alerted by origin's Doberman sense of encroachment into the boundaries of academia.) There's no boss here. This is open season and we're all independent operators.

I say put up or shut up. What's the bottom line? Is this or is this not a covert attempt to insinuate aether into a completely unrelated topic?

14. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

Quite alright.

I started following a discussion on this topic at Physics Forums on a thread in the Quantum Physics section. Dare I ask if you are a member over there, and have you seen that thread? If not, its worth a look.

15. zgmc Registered Senior Member

I was just reading some stuff about this the other day. It is interesting, but I'm not sure how much of the quantum world can actually be explained by it. I'm inclined to think that it is probably nothing more than a cool visual aid to use when discussing wave particle duality.

16. liquidspacetime Banned Banned

"While the founding fathers agonized over the question 'particle' or 'wave', de Broglie in 1925 proposed the obvious answer 'particle' and 'wave'. Is it not clear from the smallness of the scintillation on the screen that we have to do with a particle? And is it not clear, from the diffraction and interference patterns, that the motion of the particle is directed by a wave? De Broglie showed in detail how the motion of a particle, passing through just one of two holes in screen, could be influenced by waves propagating through both holes. And so influenced that the particle does not go where the waves cancel out, but is attracted to where they cooperate. This idea seems to me so natural and simple, to resolve the wave-particle dilemma in such a clear and ordinary way, that it is a great mystery to me that it was so generally ignored." - John Bell

17. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

18. liquidspacetime Banned Banned

'Pilot-wave dynamics in a rotating frame: on the emergence of orbital quantization'
    math.mit.edu/~auoza/JFM_2.pdf

"The theory thus postulates two waves, a real wave of unspecified origins responsible for guiding the particle, and the statistical wave describing the particle’s probability density function."

The origin of the real wave is the dark matter.

Particles of matter move through and displace the dark matter.

There is evidence dark matter waves in the ripple created when galaxy clusters collide. Dark matter is not a clump of stuff traveling along with galaxy clusters. Galaxy clusters are moving through and displacing the dark matter.

'Hubble Finds Ghostly Ring of Dark Matter'
    nasa.gov/mission_pages/hubble/news/dark_matter_ring_feature.html

"Astronomers using NASA's Hubble Space Telescope got a first-hand view of how dark matter behaves during a titanic collision between two galaxy clusters. The wreck created a ripple of dark matter, which is somewhat similar to a ripple formed in a pond when a rock hits the water."

The 'pond' consists of dark matter. The galaxy clusters are moving through and displacing the dark matter, analogous to the bow waves of two boats which pass by each other closely. The bow waves interact and create a ripple in the water. The ripple created when galaxy clusters collide is a dark matter displacement wave.

19. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Whatever DM actually is, will I'm confident be revealed one day.
    As of now, we have no evidence to even suggest that in the double slit experiment, it's DM that waves. That is just speculative comments.

DM also so far, according to models, is nothing like a fluid spread throughout the Universe, and cannot be analogious to any long defunct ether.
    In fact DM being able to only interact gravitationally, has been shown to spread, clump and "ässemble" where normal baryonic matter gathers.
    But this forum is for speculative purposes and discussions that evolve.

20. liquidspacetime Banned Banned

There is evidence dark matter waves in the ripple created when galaxy clusters collide.

Dark matter is now understood to fill what would otherwise be considered to be empty space.

'Cosmologists at Penn Weigh Cosmic Filaments and Voids'
    upenn.edu/pennnews/news/cosmologists-penn-weigh-cosmic-filaments-and-voids

"Dark matter ... permeate all the way to the center of the voids."

'"No Empty Space in the Universe" --Dark Matter Discovered to Fill Intergalactic Space'
    dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/02/no-empty-space-in-the-universe-dark-matter-discovered-to-fill-intergalactic-space-.html

"A long standing mystery on where the missing dark matter is has been solved by the research. There is no empty space in the universe. The intergalactic space is filled with dark matter."

Dark matter is not a clump of stuff traveling along with galaxy clusters. Galaxy clusters move through and displace the dark matter.

What is mistaken to be a clump of dark matter traveling along with galaxy clusters is the state of displacement of the dark matter.