The 1952 Washington DC UFO scramble

Discussion in 'UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters' started by Magical Realist, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

"The President Is Very Acutely Ill"
    Harry S. Truman's Illness of July 1952

http://www.archives.gov/publications/prologue/2012/fall/truman-ill.html

In Short:
    President Truman got ill and it was considered serious, however they didn't want to public to be worried by it, so they hushed it up.

If you were rushing doctors to a President or a President away somewhere, you'd use the air.

Also on another side note a US led attack on Pyongyang, Korea was under way. It's possible that the aircraft could of been Generals who were involved.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

It's doubtful that either case would involve the eyewitnessed orange glowing discs that flew in ways that defied aerial conventions. Also, why send out jet fighters for alleged medevac copters? They'd already know what it was.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Whatever the real answer is, it's NOT what you want it to be. You'll also HAVE to notice that it faded into near-obscurity without further event. (shrug)

8. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

You mean the eye witnesses you don't actually hear a statement directly from but whatever the Ufologists parrot from whatever the press had archived. That's not really evidence of the contrary to my suggestions.

9. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Oh? And what exactly do I want it to be? All I know is that it is unexplained and brushed under the carpet by the government. That's pretty much WHY such things fade into obscurity. No government wants to admit it has no clue about what is zooming around in its own secure air space.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  10. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I see. So there were no eyewitnesses because..well..because you say so? I prefer to go by the media reported story of that time.

"Furthermore, Cocklin said that by looking out of the control tower window he could see one of the objects:

"a bright orange light. I can't tell what's behind it."[2]
    At this point, other objects appeared in all sectors of the radarscope; when they moved over the White House and the United States Capitol, Barnes called Andrews Air Force Base, located 10 miles from National Airport. Although Andrews reported that they had no unusual objects on their radar, an airman soon called the base's control tower to report the sighting of a strange object. Airman William Brady, who was in the tower, then saw an "object which appeared to be like an orange ball of fire, trailing a tail . . . [it was] unlike anything I had ever seen before." As Brady tried to alert the other personnel in the tower, the strange object "took off at an unbelievable speed." Meanwhile, another person in the National Airport control tower reported seeing "an orange disk about 3,000 feet altitude." On one of the airport's runways, S.C. Pierman, a Capital Airlines pilot, was waiting in the cockpit of his DC-4 for permission to take off. After spotting what he believed to be a meteor, he was told that the control tower's radar had picked up unknown objects closing in on his position. Pierman observed six objects — "white, tailless, fast-moving lights" — over a 14-minute period.[3] Pierman was in radio contact with Barnes during his sighting, and Barnes later related that "each sighting coincided with a pip we could see near his plane. When he reported that the light streaked off at a high speed, it disappeared on our scope."

At Andrews AFB, meanwhile, the control tower personnel were tracking on radar what some thought to be unknown objects, but others suspected, and in one instance were able to prove, were simply stars and meteors. However, Staff Sgt. Charles Davenport observed an orange-red light to the south; the light "would appear to stand still, then make an abrupt change in direction and altitude . . . this happened several times."[4] At one point both radar centers at National Airport and the radar at Andrews AFB were tracking an object hovering over a radio beacon. The object vanished in all three radar centers at the same time.[5] At 3 a.m., shortly before two jet fighters from Newcastle AFB in Delaware arrived over Washington, all of the objects vanished from the radar at National Airport. However, when the jets ran low on fuel and left, the objects returned, which convinced Barnes that "the UFOs were monitoring radio traffic and behaving accordingly." [6] The objects were last detected by radar at 5:30 a.m. Around sunrise, E.W. Chambers, a civilian radio engineer in Washington's suburbs, observed "five huge disks circling in a loose formation. They tilted upward and left on a steep ascent."----http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1952_Washington,_D.C._UFO_incident

Eyewitness Reports

This case is unique in that the objects were viewed and photographed by hundreds of people, including many Air Force personnel who would be considered extremely reliable witnesses.

After the incident, Sergeant Harrison described what he saw:

"I saw the ... light moving from the Northeast toward the range station. These lights did not have the characteristics of shooting stars. There was no trails and seemed to go out rather than disappear, and traveled faster than any shooting star I have ever seen."

Sergeant H. Spiewakowski further explained what he witnessed:

"I ... observed targets following very erratic courses, sometimes appearing to stop, then reverse course, accelerating momentarily, and then slowing down. Target sightings were all coordinated with W.A.R.T.C. and verified, using radar facilities. Another peculiarity noted was the sudden disappearance of targets then suddenly reappearing 8 - 10 miles farther along the same course ... The biggest problem appeared to be the large No. of targets present which made it difficult to have any definite targets singled out for checking.

Other airline pilots reported seeing several 'lights' in the sky. Many people in Washington reported seeing lights too. The Pentagon intelligence officers flatly stated that the objects were nothing more than a weather phenomena, while the sightings continued throughout the month of July..."---http://www.spartechsoftware.com/dimensions/aliens/UFOWashington.htm

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  11. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Oh, come on now! EVERY single person here knows EXACTLY what you want to believe!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I haven't ever expressed here a belief in ET's. If you think I have, quote the post then. I try to stay committed to phenomenon itself without ad hoc interpretations.

13. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

What exactly was it's course? It wouldn't be on a trajectory with the Whitehouse and a Hospital now would it?

As for witnesses, they "saw" something they checked out and then probably got "Hushed", so obviously they would have to create some nonsensical story to cover it.

14. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

They were changing course repeatedly. Read the reports.

Oh? And what "story" was that?

15. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Like I've pointed out there is plausible reasoning as to what any events could of been. To be honest I'm not a Believer in UFO's, I had an interest when younger but as I got older I learnt a few things that pretty much undermined the Fantasy, like for instance Rationality. If it can't be rationalised it's one thing; if people don't want to rationalise, that's something else.

16. river

Rationality based on what , exactly ?