Hello everyone

Discussion in 'Alternative Theories' started by paradisease, Jun 7, 2014.

1. paradisease Registered Member

Hello. I have an interest in parapsychology and am wondering how many of you think it is a pseudo science?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

i love telepathy and telekinesis and such.
    it's very real.
    mainstream doesn't touch it tho.
    sometimes mainstream should be ignored.
    but it's not mainstreams fault,
    it only knows what it's allowed to know.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. paradisease Registered Member

Do you think the government on some levels know about the paranormal and want to keep it under wraps?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

" it's not mainstreams fault,
    it only knows what it's allowed to know. "

8. paradisease Registered Member

I think the same. The federal government has the right to suppress knowledge if it would threaten national security, and the exposure of the paranormal could threaten create hysteria, thereby threatening national security. It would challenge our secular society's laws and ideals as well, something Big Brother I don't think wants to happen.

9. CptBork Valued Senior Member

All you've got to do is catch a ghost in your net and bring it to Times Square, would be pretty hard for the government to stop that one. Or you can predict the future with X-Men powers and make trillions on the stock market, then tell everyone how you got rich. May the Force be with you.

10. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

it appears,
    parapsychology is not understood of what it is.

did you make your comment to actually discuses,
    or are you part of the majority here and just want to ridicule something you are clueless on ?

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Nonsense. Although you can study paranormal phenomenon using legitimate science, it's not very common, since it hasn't been fruitful research.

12. paradisease Registered Member

Actually the federal government can suppress information from the general public if it would threaten national security. Look up information on the freedom of information act. They don't have to release all information. Furthermore, certainly the idea people are attacked telepathically by malevolent entities would create potential pandemonium if it were confirmed to be a reality.

13. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

You are certainly on a good track when certain members here pick up on it. One example of that group is Andy, He believes there are huge underground bases all around the word that various governments use to "mind-control" their populations.

At the same time, there are TONS of us here with various scientific backgrounds who are well aware of the history and efforts made to establish it as a fact. There have been literally THOUSANDS of programs run by colleges and universities that tried to accomplish that. And to date, not a single one has ever come close. (Yes, there were some that APPEARED to do it, however, on close examination, it became clear that their methodologies were very flawed or purposely skewed.)

14. paradisease Registered Member

I don't have the time ATM to get into a detailed debate about this, but it seems to me the refutations of for example psychic phenomena is that since in one specific example there was a flaw that not only means the person exploited that flaw to look psychic, but that all the other tests that person passed without apparent potential exploits are also invalid. I think there is convincing evidence to at least step back and pontificate about when it comes to evidence for psychic experiences in particular.

It seems to me skeptics misapply ockham's razor. They basically say if there is a simple, conventional explanation for a seemingly paranormal phenomenon that that explanation is inherently better than the more complex explanation that there are very complex things going on beyond that which meets the eye, but scientifically ockham's razor does not mean a simple explanation is better than a complex one just because it is simple. It means when developing a theoretic model entities should not be unnecessarily multiplied, rather than the arbiter between models. Skeptics can keep their simplicity. I will broaden my horizons with greater complexity and possibility than what meets the eye, which is in accordance with modern science. Previous scientific thought used to be that what was real was what was right in front of you, which was the foundation for early atheism. Now we know different. Science is not what it once was. For instance, the idea the universe was static used to be something atheists and scientists alike believed, something theists rejected before science caught up. That said I am agnostic, but I do think there is a greater mystery to be had than what skeptics would have us to believe.

15. matthew809 Registered Senior Member

I would question the motive and/or intelligence of anyone who would seek to label and categorize something against the will of it's proponents.

16. Yazata Valued Senior Member

I'm not sure if it's a pseudoscience exactly. (It may very well be, but I'm not entirely sure how the word 'pseudoscience' should be defined.) But it certainly seems to be a stunted or failed science at the moment. Parapsychology has been around in one form or another since the 19th century and it hasn't really produced a clear body of widely accepted knowledge, let alone plausible explanatory accounts. It seems stuck at the level of anecdotal reports and crude statistical analyses.

My inclination is to say that these difficulties are probably the result of the phenomenon that parapsychology seeks to investigate not existing. But conceivably it might also be the case that while paranormal phenomena do exist, fruitful scientific methods for studying them aren't available at the moment.

17. Asexperia Valued Senior Member

Of course it is pseudoscience. Parapsychology is another name for spiritualism.

18. paradisease Registered Member

When it comes to the actual scientific explanation for paranormal phenomena it may be lacking, but there is some evidence there is something more than meets the eye when it comes to paranormal phenomena. The Vatican actually has good documentation on the issue, such as the person speaking in languages they don't know, or being told information they had no way of knowing. In science many things can be indirectly determined, such as the shadows of wobbling celestial elements moving over stars from thousands of light years away, showing there are planets orbiting them, or the evidence in the past for black holes, which was indirect.

19. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

You do realise that most Parapsychology related reasoning was constructed way before various neurological ailments were understood (much like religion). It's pretty well established now that some people see things because they happened to be wired "differently", such as Synesthesia

20. paradisease Registered Member

If they are understood, then please tell me the neural substrate of a hallucination in, say, a schizophrenic. What are the neuronal correlates of psychosis, hallucinations, and delusions? If you know the answer to any of these questions, major universities would be very interested because in their scientific journals they openly admit they have a profound ignorance on these issues.

21. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

You should know that everyone is wired a little differently anyway, it's mainly down to how we develop as we grow up, how we learn and create memories.

which journals are you referring to?

22. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Dramatized "musical" evidence of psychic phenomena.

Two people "quantum entangled" emotionally with out strings attached [

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

- pseudo science ...indeed!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

]

[video=youtube;S4kzGhDEURA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4kzGhDEURA[/video]

Some would say that being alive, self animated, and self determined is evidence of psychic phenomena.
    Do you know any rocks that talk or walk or other wise do their own thing...?

To define psychic phenomena as that which can not be explained by science, one only has to look at your self in a mirror.

23. sculptor Valued Senior Member

It has been said that 'science' can only measure that for which it has the instrumentation, and only develops the instrumentation for that which it thinks that it has a clear understanding of that which it would measure.
    Have we all not had a premonition which played out as imagined?
    Was that premonition really parapsychology, or just being well attuned to our surroundings?