Galaxy Evolution

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by leopold, Apr 28, 2014.

1. leopold Valued Senior Member

yeah, well neither does science when it comes to the nature of the universe and how life got here.
    i have yet to see any computer models that can explain the formation of galaxies.
    science has been completely unable to recreate life.
    granted, i might have missed something . . . so show me.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. PhysBang Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. leopold Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

You were being honest before and now you aren't: science doesnt claim to already have all the answers, but in order for there to exist an alternative, there must first be a mainstream theory to disagree with. And you have acknowledged that mainstream theories exist, that you disagree with. You aren't just looking to plug holes here.

Conversely, for an alternate "theory" to be more than just a meaningless pseudophilosophical musing, it must quantitatively describe or predict something.

Science doesn't have all the answers - yet - but the path you support has none.

8. leopold Valued Senior Member

the laws of physics are easily programmed.
    the trajectory of particles, likewise.
    not just me.
    respected sources and respected names have said it, not me.
    what path might that be?

9. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Well dry your eyes bunky and look at this.

There is a site on the internet called google. If you put in "computer model of galaxy formation" this is what you get. You should try this new fangled 'google' sometime.

10. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

On the one hand, you're bordering on being off topic. On the other hand:
    Then you haven't looked very hard.

First, there's the problem of scales.
    Second there's the problem of numbers. The Milkyway has something like 300 billion stars.

This simulation uses 60 million points of data over 13 billion years and took 8 months to calculate:
    http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/8...spiral-galaxy-formation-to-date/#.U16hhld7QuE

11. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

Edit: apologies, Leopold, I didn't notice that you were picking up someone else's argument and going with it. So the relevance here may be thin as I'm not completely clear where you stand:

That has nothing to do with what I said. It's a red herring: an attempt to distract from the line of discussion by bringing up something unrelated.
    I doubt that, but by your own admission, such sources would be non-mainstream, whether they are respected or not.
    Looking for non-mainstream ideas/explanations.

12. leopold Valued Senior Member

oh my, a mod response to post 165.
    according to the following website, these models rest on 2 basic assumptions.
    there is such a thing as an cosmological constant, and dark matter.
    has either of these been proved?
    ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/March08/Mayer/frames.html *

i don't know if you know much about computers but they can DEFINITELY pull off the humanly impossible.
    the only bottleneck i can think of is rounding errors, and this can be reduced to almost zero with a suitable word length.

like i mentioned above, these models depend on 2 basic assumptions.

*edit:
    this is what is displayed in the address box of my browser.

edit:
    can someone explain these models in plain english?
    for example:
    how do these models differentiate between globular and disk?
    what is the mechanism that causes that?

13. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

Looking back a few pages, it doesn't look like you ever got the scientific method down, so that question isn't surprising. It is unanswerable, because science doesn't completely prove anything. Or, if you prefer, the answer is always no.

But to be more specific: what is your point/why would it matter? You said models do not exist and they do. Could you acknowledge please that you are just shooting from the hip here?

Getting back to your issues with the scientific method:
    You may perhaps be utilizing the wrong definition of "observation". In science, it is defined as:
    "the action or process of observing something or someone carefully or in order to gain information."

You may be thinking of:
    "a remark, statement, or comment based on something one has seen, heard, or noticed."

So you may be confusing the word "observation" with theory or hypothesis when in science an observation is simply something that you directly see or measure.
    No, math is simply a language used to describe reality. It differs from other languages in that it is set up and used strictly for the purpose of conveying numerical logic. Other than "it is a fact that the math says..." it contains no facts. As you observed (definition #2), the output is only as good as the input.

Facts in science are things that are observed. But be careful with that because everything humans do is subject to potential error, including taking measurements. So in science, even the facts themselves are provisional.

14. leopold Valued Senior Member

yeah, right.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

how about a little insight to these models?

15. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

Ok: my insight is that your questions further indicate that you don't understand the purpose of a model or how they fit into the scientific method.

16. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

I can make it one, if you really want me to...

We observe a universe that behaves as if these things were true and we currently have no better explanation. You tell me whether or not you think they've been "proved". The fact that you would ask the question betrays naivety of the scientific method.

I don't think you understood my point.

I know full well what the capabilities of modern computers and super computers are. I even understand some of the ins and outs of the models involved. I know they can "pull off the humanly impossible" - they do that every time a mandlebrot set is calculated.

You, apparently, do not understand the magnitude of the problem.

My understanding is that it is the orbital parameters of the stars that givern whether they are halo or disk stars.

This link discusses galactic structure: http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr162/lect/milkyway/components.html

To the best of my recollection, a combination of magnetic fields and conservation of angular momentum.

17. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  18. leopold Valued Senior Member

relax trippy, no need to get your bowels in an uproar.
    i wouldn't have asked te question if i knew.
    it seems time would be invariant.
    asking questions about an observation is the very essence of the method.
    maybe.
    what exactly is the magnitude of the problem?
    the only thing i can come up with is "they" simply don't know.

i think it's important to know how these things work because BOTH SETS of galaxies must be able to form under the same set of laws.

19. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

What is your problem? You could easily look up this information if you wanted to. But gaining knowledge does not seem to be your goal. It seems that you just want to ask questions until, you find a question to which the answer is not known. Then you can say, "ah ha science doesn't have the answer so I can dismiss all science and substitude craziness". Very strange...:shrug:

20. brucep Valued Senior Member

You should listen to Id. Once you accept that you have no clue on this subject matter then you can read some of the literature physbang linked for you and 'step up' and learn something. Lotsa fun once you get into it.

21. leopold Valued Senior Member

well in any event i believe one computer model should explain ALL of the observable universe.
    i'm still interested in the mechanism that forms one galaxy over another.

another thing:
    like fraggle said, instead of everyone saying "you have no clue" why don't you provide some.

22. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Then google it fer chrisake! After that we can begin discussing what you found.

23. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

:roll:

I don't know what your standard of 'proved' is.

And proving things is the antithesis of the scientific method, which holds that things can not be proven to be true, only shown to be false.

I've already elaborated upon this, you chose to dismiss, rather than consider it.

300 billion stars, all interacting gravitationally, then there's things like gas and dust to consider, the effects of supernovae, the effects of black holes, and countless particles of dark matter. Then there's the range of scales to consider - covering several orders of magnitude of distance from contact binary stars through to the structure of the galaxy itself.

And they do. As far as we're aware the short comings of the products of our computer simulations are the result of what we've had to feed into and do with them in order to make them calculable by super computers in a human lifetime.