The Trouble with Tribbles

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Kittamaru, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Saw this on my facebook feed courtesy of George Takei... thought it was entertaining XD

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

I love the original Star Trek... I'm old enough to have seen every episode, more times than I can count.

Tribbles are just old toupes though... Creepy.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

NO no no, they weren't toupes... they were made INTO toupes to cover Shatners bald spot

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

Lmao... I think you're onto something there...

8. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

Here's a little story related to this. Dirung the last few summers, a theatrical group has put on "Trek in the Park" here in Portland, where they recreate Star Trek episodes in an outdoor setting. This last summer was their last year (They were on a "five Year mission.), and they did The Trouble with Tribbles. On the evening my wife and I went, there was an extra surprise bonus, David Gerrold, the writer of the episode was in the audience, and after the show was over he got up and said a few words. He told the following story:

When the show aired he got together with a group of friends in his apartment to watch it. After it was over, one his friends (Robert Englund who would go on to play Freddy Krueger) came up to him and raved about how good it was and that he had real talent as a writer. To which David replied " Come on, it was one episode on one TV show, in ten years no one will even remember it.".

9. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

I first saw that episode in the 60's... How wrong he was. To this day, I call "dust bunnies", tribbles.

Yeah, many don't get it, but, I do, and it makes me chuckle.

10. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Indeed... Tribbles have integrated themselves into pop culture... it's quite entertaining!

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Star Trek was a phenomenon that caught everyone involved by surprise. When Leonard Nimoy was hired to portray Spock, he didn't even bother getting an unlisted telephone number!

Even so late in the 1960s, people didn't quite understand what the era was all about. With race riots, and the threat of nuclear war looming over our heads, it was so wonderful to turn on the TV and spend an hour in a future in which there was total peace on Earth and we were doing our best to spread it to other civilizations.

People call Gene Roddenberry a genius. I'll let history decide that, but he was sure in the right place at the right time!

12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

He was, without doubt, the Great Bird of the Galaxy when it came to his ideals...

13. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

That was my favorite show as a kid and was very sad when it was canceled. Funny thing is I was pretty young when it was first on and I could never understand why Captain Kirk had 2 names. In the begining of the show he would always call himself "Captain Slog". I figured it our eventually.

14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

*snrk* That's priceless! My little brother did something similar in a free game we used to play (Combat Arms) - at the start of the round, it says 'Round Start', but because of the accent of the speaker it's kind of garbled... so my little brother always thought they said "Ground Snarff" XD

15. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

OK... Maybe I'm just getting old, and having brain farts...

I don't remember the Capt. Slog thing though. : /

16. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

He meant how Kirk would say "Captain's Log, Stardate xxxxxxx" but Shatner would always let it run together so it sounded like he was saying CaptainSlog

17. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

Ohhh OK... Yeah, I get that.

18. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

I didn't really get into Star Trek until after the original series was canceled. I remember it being on, it just wasn't watched that much in our house. What actually got me hooked was the James Blish adaptations that came out in paperback form just after that. We lived in a fairly remote rural area, and didn't get the station the ran the syndicated reruns, So except those rare times when I was at someone's place that had cable, and it happened to be on, the books were my only Trek fix. I had also read The Making of Star Trek and Gerrold's book on the making of the Tribbles episode.

It took a few years for me to actually see all the episodes, and ironically enough, even though it was one of my favorite stories, The Trouble with Tribbles was the very last episodes I actually got to finally see.

I had a similar experience with 2001: A Space Odyssey, I had read the book, the book on the making of the movie, the short story it was based on, and the book by A.C. Clarke on the writing of the book/movie (which included earlier versions beginning and ending.), long before I ever got a chance to see the movie.

19. elte Valued Senior Member

Fond memories of ST TOS being my all-time fav of any show.

20. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

Oh yeah? Well, I didn't read 2001 until 2011! :bawl:

21. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

By 2001 I had already read 2010, 2061 and 3001. .

22. CptBork Valued Senior Member

I saw "2010" when I was a kid and I was totally disappointed. I still didn't get what all those flashy lights and the old man watching himself get older from the third person POV in "2001" were all about, and when I read the novel to try and figure it out, it didn't seem like the same thing as what I saw in the movie. I think I get it now, kinda makes sense, but the way Kubrick shows it, you could interpret those scenes in a million different ways.

Anyhow, if you like Capitan Kirk and los tribbles, you gotta see this:

[video=youtube;AJGvn5iOERM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJGvn5iOERM[/video]​

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  23. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member