LSD stops migraines ??

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by NMSquirrel, Apr 22, 2014.

1. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

I know it is just a medical show but on 'House' he said LSD will stop migraines in its tracks.

any truth to this?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I've never had a headache/ migraine while taking acid so I'd say it does work.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I didn't watch "House" regularly, but when I did I found that the medical references were accurate.

People can't help taking those doctor dramas seriously so they have an obligation to not spread erroneous information. "General Hospital" obviously has a lot of medical scenes and they seem to be very scrupulous about accuracy.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

Even if LSD did stop headaches wouldn't this be a case of the solution being more complicated than the problem?

Or maybe it's like drinking alcohol to ease toothache. It still hurts, you just don't care anymore!

8. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Nature: Cluster headache sufferers say LSD can abort attacks.

About five years ago, users of Internet message boards began swapping stories about chronic sufferers who gained two- to six-month periods of complete remission after one or two sub-hallucinogenic doses of LSD or psilocybin.​

So no, not neccessarily a case of the solution being worse than the problem.

9. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

I know about cluster headaches. Women who suffer them say they are worse than childbirth. However, we were discussing migraines: a horse of a different color.

10. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

I'm aware of the difference between cluster headaches, and migraines. There were a couple of points that the average reader may not be aware of.
    1. The dose is likely to be comparable (sub hallucinogenic).
    2. LSD acts on the same receptors as Triptans, which are commonly used to treat migraines and cluster headaches, so if it works in one instance it is likely to work in the other (I have a feeling LSD is a Triptan analogue, but I'm not absolutely certain).
    3. Cluster headaches are often misdiagnosed as migraines.

I'm sure there was more.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  11. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

Pardon me. I thought we were having a civil conversation. Good bye.

12. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

alright children..behave.

13. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

You're in league with the Fraggley one aren't you... Fine... I apologize for being brusque and have dealt with my posts.

14. brucep Valued Senior Member

Me too. I'm still trying to figure out where my head went so I could remember whether I had a migraine or not.

15. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

Maybe I need to take acid to understand physics and the math that goes with it. Is that the answer brucep?

16. brucep Valued Senior Member

I don't think you'll need much external help to learn anything new you've become interested in. Seem pretty 'learned' already. As for the Acid [notice the capitalization] it's the only drug I've been 'under the influence' that WASN'T overrated going in. I thought I was learning physics. Seemed like I was one with the cosmos. Defining 'I' [my Id] was difficult. Sorry for the cliches but ..... There was serious research underway when the street presence put Acid on the most wanted list. Cary Grant was involved in an experiment testing predictions for it's possible medical use. It was ongoing successful research and then 'Haight Ashbury' and my generation began. What an experience. Starting out young and dumb made it even more exciting. Keeping in mind I wasn't always doing the most logical thing.

17. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

Sorry I never got to try it, though hubby did and really liked the experience . He is more of the creative/artistic type so for him the shapes and colors were what stuck with him the most. He has suggested that I try it at least one time but I really feel I may be to *ahem* learned(old) now. I can say though, that I have had some extremely mystical/hallucinogenic trips of my own, without the use of acid.

18. brucep Valued Senior Member

I'm with you. I would be afraid to do it at my age. Sometimes I wonder what it would feel like in my old body. Really powerful body effects. The invincibility or youth. Anyway the interesting thing that Trippy said is that a non-hallucinogenic dose exists. Have a nice evening quinnsong.

19. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

Getting back to the OP, who in all fairness was only asking, not telling - does no one else see how ridiculous it would be to use a hallucinogenic narcotic, an illegal hallucinogenic narcotic, to relieve a headache? What's next? Dynamite fishing in the mill pond? Really, let's get a grip.

20. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

What you might have missed Arne is that they now have a non hallucinogenic dose.

21. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

Ta ta! Good evening to you too, all knowing physics guy.

22. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Did you miss the part where it's effective in sub-hallucenigenic doses?

If it's effective in sub-hallucenigenic compounds and has no side effects (which is my understanding of LSD) then where's the issue?

Do you also oppose the use of Opiates and Morphine for pain management?

23. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

I have used it once apon a time in my carnival days (17-21) it wasn't addictive to me, have a pretty cool trip story also, in the end I think I built up an immunity to it,

also to condemn it just because its illegal, is irresponsible to truth.
    moderation is rule here.
    if she (my daughter has migraines) took 1/4 hit and it got rid of her headache with little side effects, it would be miraculous to her